Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson...

GroundedSausage

What people here are committed to Gibson but not for their guitars by a show of hands. Anyone? Mandolin, Banjo, anything? I mean I'm just guessing that about 70% or more of the people on these forums probably like the company but only for there guitars because that is what made them famous. What do you think their first line of instruments were? MANDOLINS

What people here are committed to Gibson but not for their guitars by a show of hands. Anyone? Mandolin' date=' Banjo, anything? I mean I'm just guessing that about 70% or more of the people on these forums probably like the company but only for there guitars because that is what made them famous. What do you think their first line of instruments were? MANDOLINS[/quote']

I don't commit to one company. Monogamy and musical instruments do not go well together.

Yes, we're all well aware of Gibson's history.

I love their guitars. I have no experience with their other instruments. Working on guitar and harmonica is more than enough for me.

My father in law has a violin that I can make sounds on. Maybe one day I'll give that a try. Love bluegrass too so maybe there is a banjo in my future too. Don't want to close any doors.

Dave

In my experience, I prefer the Martin-style bowl-back mandolin. I will admit, though, that I've never had an opportunity to play a good F-5.

And yes, I know it's not a Martin design, but the best example I've ever played was a 1916 Martin. I've played a handful of Oscar Scmidts and Washburns, also.

A cupla friends had Gibson banjos when I was in college.

Incredible, wonderful instruments, although most had some means set up on the fifth drone string to handle the use of a capo. I think I remember one or two with a little slide thingie, another one with little screws that would catch and hold the string down on a fret. Those "Scruggs pegs" were on one I saw kinda up close.

Believe it or not, I've never touched a Gibson mandolin.

m

Well here's a shock.... I have a Kentucky mandolin. It costs about 1/4 of what the Gibson Mando's cost, and so far I have found exactly 1 Gibson that can match it for tone.

Not a good average for Mandolins that cost as much as my Les Paul.

And Dom, just because someone else can rock out a mandolin, doesn't mean Blackie can.... so sayeth Captain Obvious.

:)

And Dom' date=' just because someone else can rock out a mandolin, doesn't mean Blackie can.... so sayeth Captain Obvious.

:-({|= [/quote']

I'll add to that,

sooo... somebody, somewhere, somehow in the world can rock out with a mandolin...cool.

The Gibson mandolin is still the standard among most bluegrassers. There are some other really good models out there, but the list of Gibson mandolin players, from Bill Monroe and Bobby Osborne to Sam Bush and Ricky Skaggs, reads like a virtual whose who among bluegrass legends. It's like the R9 for the bluegrass crowd.

Archived