Gibson Brands Forums

was there a band in the early 70's that could compete with this sound?

S t e v e

Loads. Thin Lizzy. I think ZZ Top were out then. Sabbath. Heavy Metal Kids.

imo the bands you mentioned don't compete with purples late 60's early 70's sound...purple are the pioneers of that era IMHO [cool]

It's a matter of taste. But Sabbath can give Purple a run any day.

If we all liked the same music' date=' what a boring world this would be.

How about Zep as well?[/quote']

oh i agree 100% it's just my opinion [cool]

Deep Purple did seem to have their sound pretty much nailed down while a lot of the other bands were still exploring. You can pick out Jon Lords keyboard and Blackmore's Marshall sound in an instant. They had a clear vision of what they were trying to accomplish.

Saw "Deep Purple" several times, when Richie and Jon Lord were still there.

Amazing...and really friggin' loud, too! LOL! The last time, I saw them, they

were (still) the loudest band, I had ever heard/seen. That might still be the case,

as I don't see that many concerts, anymore. But, it was a great expericence!

CB

Saw "Deep Purple" several times' date=' when Richie and Jon Lord were still there.

were (still) the loudest band, I had ever heard/seen. That might still be the case,

CB[/quote']

Hey Charlie, saw them last night... Sound was pefect, right where it should be. Now Gary more is loud, blood coming out of the ears loud, uncomfortably loud.... But that's the sound engineers fault for not having the balls to tell Gary to turn down. Behind every great sounding band there is a great Sound Engineer!!!

Hey Charlie' date=' saw them last night... Sound was pefect, right where it should be. Now Gary more is loud, blood coming out of the ears loud, uncomfortably loud.... But that's the sound engineers fault for not having the balls to tell Gary to turn down. Behind every great sounding band there is a great Sound Engineer!!![/quote']

Yeah, I don't know if they even had "Sound Engineers" way back when I saw them.

Richie was using at least (2) 200 watt Marshall Major, Full Stacks...all run "flat out!"

I was standing not 5 feet in front of him, most of the time...all the times I saw them.

(We could DO that, back then...no reserved seating, and even photography was allowed!)

All I remember, about the volume, was that he came out...started 'trilling' a string on his

Strat, and reached back, and rolled all the knobs, on both heads, to full power! WHAM!!

Amazing sound/tone, and VOLUME! LOL!! My ears rang for at least 1/2 of the next day.

Loved it so much, I bought a Marshall Major, myself. Couldn't USE it, anywhere WE played,

except out of doors, but it was an amazing sounding amp! Especially with my '68 LP Custom!

Orgasmic! "Ahhh, the good old days!!" ;>)

CB

Saw "Deep Purple" several times' date=' when Richie and Jon Lord were still there.

CB[/quote']

Yeah, I had tickets to see DP at Merriweather Post on the Perfect Strangers (very under-rated album IMO) tour. We pulled into the parking lot when I realized my ticket was sitting back home on my dresser #-o

Well I sat on the hood of the car in the Columbia Mall parking lot and heard the whole thing perfectly. I can only imagine how loud it was in the Pavilion :-k

Archived