Gibson Brands Forums

Whats the best humbucker for blues?

dem00n

Im interested to see what you guys think.

without a doubt' date=' open coil burst-buckers...imo, and there so much better than the pups in my 08 standard (whatever they are...see other thread) [biggrin

125.jpg

crem de la crem for the blues tone [biggrin]

I've used what I have in my LP's. It also depends on you (your fingers). I've used a straight Marshall. When not using a Marshall, any Line6 blues preset has done well. This is what works for me. Is there a "best"?? Hmmm.... *frantically looking for THE best....* [biggrin]

The ones in your guitar. Seriously, blues can be played on a Schecter with EMG's. Your Blues should reflect your journey as a musician. It's all about what you got to give on the Backbeat with a Triplet Feel.

Of course if you want Pages Blues Tone, or Peter Greens Blues Tone. 57's are the way to go.

Whichever one YOU like, is the "Best, for you.

"Blues" is a feeling, or style/genre...and it's not about what guitar, pickup, amp, or even clothes, you wear.

That's merely "marketing!" (Smile)

It's what's in your heart, that comes out, through your fingers. It's been played on every type guitar.

Most of the old classic bluesmen, used cheap guitars, because it was all they could afford. So, ANY

guitar, with any pickup, can be a "blues" instrument. Any Humbucker (or other) would work...just pick

one YOU like, and wail away!

IF you're TRYING to sound like someone, in particular...then get what they play. But, as you're

not them, the best you'll do, is approximate their sound, and little else, that makes them who they are.

Much better, do make your own tone, and style.

CB

The ones in your guitar. Seriously' date=' blues can be played on a Schecter with EMG's. Your Blues should reflect your journey as a musician. It's all about what you got to give on the Backbeat with a Triplet Feel.

Of course if you want Pages Blues Tone, or Peter Greens Blues Tone. 57's are the way to go.[/quote']

Whichever one YOU like' date=' is the "Best, for you.

"Blues" is a feeling, or style/genre...and it's not about what guitar, pickup, amp, or even clothes, you wear.

That's merely "marketing!" (Smile)

It's what's in your heart, that comes out, through your fingers. It's been played on every type guitar.

Most of the old classic bluesmen, used cheap guitars, because it was all they could afford. So, ANY

guitar, with any pickup, can be a "blues" instrument. Any Humbucker (or other) would work...just pick

one YOU like, and wail away!

IF you're TRYING to sound like someone, in particular...then get what they play. But, as you're

not them, the best you'll do, is approximate their sound, and little else, that makes them who they are.

Much better, do make your own tone, and style.

CB

[/quote']

I'd agree with these two statements most readily. Blues, or "the Blues," or "the blues," has very little to do with gear in a strict sense. SRV used to use a Rickenbacker back when he was a very young man, and he ended up giving this to Hubert Sumlin as a gift. Duane Allman played Fenders with single coils before playing Gibsons with humbuckers--so did Clapton, although later on he went back to the Fenders. Scores of bluesmen from the early days of the blues as a musical style used steel-string flattops, resonators, twelve-string acoustics...a few of them used acoustic archtops. So I think that you'll do just fine with any old thing if you focus on the notes, how they're played, and what they mean to you.

However, on a more practical note: the sweetest-sounding guitar I've ever played was outfitted with Guild HB-1 humbuckers. If you can find a pair of those (and yeah, they'd be a little hard to find,) then I would recommend that you at least try them. They're warm and thick, and overall very nicely balanced. Those, to me, are some of the best humbuckers for blues.

hey guys a lil off subject, but since everyone is bringing up EMG's and such..I just got some SD Blackout's EMTY ( Mick Thompsons Sig set) Now first let me be straight, that I really dislike slipknot But I've heard great things about these pickups, and that the only difference between these and the original blackouts is a tighter bass response, and more searing top end. Anyone try these active pickups? I know there probably designated more for metal, but I'm huge lover of classic rock, blues and neo classical.

hey guys a lil off subject' date=' but since everyone is bringing up EMG's and such..I just got some SD Blackout's EMTY ( Mick Thompsons Sig set) Now first let me be straight, that I really dislike slipknot But I've heard great things about these pickups, and that the only difference between these and the original blackouts is a tighter bass response, and more searing top end. Anyone try these active pickups? I know there probably designated more for metal, but I'm huge lover of classic rock, blues and neo classical. [/quote']

Those pups are good, they have a soul and dont suck tone out like EMG's.

Hey you should try the dave mastiune (**** i dont wana google his name) pickup by SD if you like those.

Oh and also im ordering the dimazrio 30th anv paf.

This should be my last mod on my washburn...forever.

I guess I fall into the "the best humbuckers for blues are the ones you have on your guitar" school.

Blues have been played on all kinds of equipment.

To me the feeling for the music and the ease of playing the guitar is paramount. The rest ... well, I never really understood after I grew up a bit why somebody would want to copy somebody else's "tone" and chops when they could be developing their own in their own way - which is the blues tradition. I.e., you pick up ideas, but don't copy.

I could have a Lucille and never sound like BB no matter what I tried to do or how much money I could spend on amps or how technically capable I might be able to play the notes. So... why not keep some ideas from him, from some of the old acoustic performers, from sounds in your head... and worry about the music 'stedda the equipment?

If there's an argument in favor of this guitar or that for blues, I'd say it should be a matter of what you're comfortable with and what you can afford and, when you come down to it, whether you're being blues instead of trying to play it.

m

dem00n...

After I wrote what I wrote above, I got thinking that you might take the "when I grew up a bit" as a personal insult. Believe me, it was far from that. I think there are some very grown up musicians in their teens and some very "immature" players (their music, not necessarily their personal life) who may have great skill and talent, but never grow.

I see musical maturity as somewhat different from personal maturity. Mozart had the former; I wonder if he achieved the latter, as just one example.

In fact, I tease that I may do X or Y "when I grow up," but gray-haired as I may be, I simply want to be cremated when I stop growing, learning and "maturing" both as a musician and as a human being. When I've taught various things to people - some older, some younger - I've emphasized that there's always something new to learn to change what and how you perform a skill.

Each new insight changes how you see everything else that came before, whether it's in guitar technique, computer programming, learning history or a sport - or in your personal life. The "trick" is finding that insight.

I tend to look at musicians my age or so whom I consider very talented, and wonder why they seem at times not to have cared about learning new things. It kinda frustrates me because I know I have less talent, but I'm always looking not just for "how do I play this riff in this song," but how to change my whole concept of playing this or that.

So... I very much respect your search. My hope is that it lasts another 50 to 75 years or so.

m

Okay... here we go.

Jack White (:) [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] [biggrin] ) plays some funky *** guitars, and some of the stuff he does is straight up blues. Honestly, for the most part, I can pick up any guitar with any amp, and sound just like me. It's a blessing and a curse however. But yes, you can play blues with an EMG equipped BC Rich and a Line 6 amp on insane distortion, its still blues, just sounds a little different

Archived