Gibson Brands Forums

Is Black Sabbath heavy metal??

SG  FAN

Yes... as in when Paranoid came out, they were considered metal. So for me, they'll always be metal.

By today's standards, there could be some argument, as "metal" has sprouted so many subgenres. To someone for whom only black metal is "real" metal, then Sabbath may be entirely too commercial.

It's a perspective thing, I think.

Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a subgenre of rock music[1] that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States.[2] With roots in blues-rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, massive sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion, extended guitar solos, emphatic beats, and overall loudness.

-from WikiPedia

It got it's name "Heavy Metal" from Birmingham where Sabbath was from. Birmingham was "steel town" in the U.K.

You should watch BBC's "The Seven Ages of Rock" they cover it in the "Heavy Metal" episode. Very well done 7 part series, shown on VH1 classic in the U.S.

Check it out.

And this one.

I stand by what I said.

Original Black Sabbath was not a metal band.

If you call healthy debate arguing' date=' you've never been married. [cool

Ok, I changed it to "healthy debate"[biggrin] Also, I admit you kinda have a point that really early Sabbath was really hard rock, as the genre didn't exist until the mid 70's. But after Paranoid they became metal.

Ok' date=' I changed it to "healthy debate"[biggrin']

That works for me.

I don't disagree with you about Sabbath grandfathering metal, it just that they were a hard rock/blues band at they time.

Maybe it's all semantics but I take my Sabbath and Metal to an anal retentive seriousness. ;)

If I remember right they were considered exceptionally hard rock in the early 70's. Alot of stations wouldn't play much of their music til closer to midnight. The term metal music didn't really catch on til bands like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden started getting airplay. When the term caught on Black Sabbath was recategorized as such type of music. Alot of people consider Sabbath as one of the pioneers of this type of music. The band Blue Cheer from the 60's has been argued to be the true pioneers of metal. There were so many bands in the late 60's and early 70's that were playing this style of music but were not getting the airplay that they probably deserved. Some stations were too consevative to even consider playing this type of music til later in the 70's or even the 80's.

A "curiosity" according to Wiki...

Sir Lord Baltimore are a pioneering American heavy metal band from Brooklyn, New York, formed in 1968 by lead vocalist/drummer John Garner, guitarist Louis Dambra, and bass player Gary Justin. They are notable for the fact that a 1971 review of their debut record, Kingdom Come, contained the first documented use of the term "heavy metal" to refer to a style of music.[1] Additionally, Sir Lord Baltimore featured a drumming lead singer, traditionally a rarity in rock and metal music.[2] The group have been called "the godfathers of stoner rock."[3]

[1] refers to a review in CREEM magazine. If the term was used in a magazine in 1971, likely it was being used long before that to describe the music.

+1 on the term "hard rock" from the late '60s early '70s.

NYC did have a couple of FM stations that played a wide variety (Black Sabbath, Sir Lord Baltimore, and the like) of music.

I wouldn't call Black Sabbath heavy metal.... At the time we used to call it Hard Rock....

+1 Yep, I listened to them in the mid to late 60s as a kid and we called it hard rock not heavy metal at the time.

Stevef, Everything you posted is probably true and reinforces my statement that there were so many bands in the late 60's early 70's that did not get the airplay that many thought they should have. I am a Rock n Roll enthusiast but I don't think I have ever heard anything from Sir Lord Baltimore. I'll have to check them out.

Rewd.

It amazes me that we still have to characterize everything so it's neatly labeled.

The Beatles, The Who and the Kinks played so many different styles that we still can't figure out is it rock, is it pop, is it rock n roll, is it blah blah blah.

Life's to short to waste your breath on that rubbish.

The term Heavy Metal comes from Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild. Thought everyone new that.

Archived