Gibson Brands Forums

Your Guitar Hero

SlagJones

Iagree with everthing you said. I'm glad you mentioned him because for some strange reason I always seem to forget about him and he is rarely mentioned here. I guess because i don't listen to ZZ Top as much as I used to. I'll have to dig up their stuff and start again. Thanks

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you falettinme be mice elf agin...but then we're talking Sly and he was San Francisco/Clive Davis/CBS Records not Motown/BG Jr. ... and there was another very good band (when Sly wasn't too high to play and could manage to show up for the show)...

...and Al's your uncle.

's why I mentioned it! Fit entirely too well to be concerned with ACCURACY!

Iagree with everthing you said. I'm glad you mentioned him because for some strange reason I always seem to forget about him and he is rarely mentioned here. I guess because i don't listen to ZZ Top as much as I used to. I'll have to dig up their stuff and start again. Thanks

Yeah' date=' that's kind of why I brought him up, because like you said, not much mention of him. And sometimes I will go for long periods of time without listening to any ZZTOP. But it seems like when I start listening to it, I can't stop. I've been listening to almost nothing but ever since last monday when I put on their [i']Tejas[/i] album.

There's just nobody that sounds like those 3 amigos!

James Honeyman-Scott' date=' responsible for the best guitar solo ever on The Pretenders "Kid." It's been scientifically proven.[/quote']

Made me laugh!!!

I like him too.

You mean the Funk Brothers? Guitar players like Joe Messina' date=' Robert White, Eddie Willis and later Dennis Coffey and Melvin Ragin...James Jamerson and Bob Babbit on bass...Earl Van Dyke on piano...Benny Benjamin on drums...those were some awesomely talented musicians...There's a film "Standing In The Shadows Of Motown" that was all about that band... they played on more number one records than Elvis, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones combined...

...and Al's your uncle.[/quote']

I saw that. We were big motown fans back then but never really learned much about the players.

We would eventually be able to tell you what color mickey dolenz underwear were on any given day..

but black guys? Not unless they went to jail.

Our tiny town had hardcore country guys.. man they hated rock.. and the rockabilly guys were sort of the same..

the newer stuff was all pansy compared to Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio.

Who, by the way, were once arrested for murder.

One of them left the hotel for a coke machine and was the only person seen at the crime. which he had just stumbled into unaware.

Then there were my contemporarys who were divided by Beach Boys USA patrotism..versus those long haired.. it'll never last.. beatles.

I saw the Everly Brothers live at the Surf Ballroom.. I can still remember that.

It more bands for us at first.. who the best guitarist was only came up when pickers got to arguing..

For me, its mostly Alex Lifeson and a bit of Jimmy Page and Eric Clapton tossed in there.

I remember back in the day when I first started learning to play guitar, I would get home from work, and put on 2112 and jam along with it all night long. I went through 4 of those (back in the days of vinyl), trying to play along.

Ritchie Blackmore, Edward Van Halen and Angus Young coupled with some healthy peer-pressure(all musicians) made me pick up the guitar. Guitarhero worship didn't start until I heard Michael Schenker and Adrian Vandenberg.

For most popular guitarists a song just seems a sad vehicle to run some fast licks over. Schenker, while an accomplished soloist, only seems to shine in collaboration with others.

Vandenberg is the complete guitarist, able to compose interesting intelligent songstructures featuring highly melodic solos. A lot of mid tempo bluesrock(Free, Badco) riffing. Solos are classical influenced without ever resorting to pompous shredding. His work with Whitesnake was a poor reflection of the man's talent. Check the debut album of Vandenberg the band. Or the terribly underated Manic Eden album with its strong Hendrix-vibe.

Andy Taylor - Duran Duran...live by the way not the studio stuff and Alex Lifeson for Exit Stage Left, since then Richie Sambora..Townsend..gallagher..All great in their field....Oh yeah ...and my older sister!

It have to be THE BEATLES. At that time, ( I was 12 yo ) They hooked me completly for all the years they were there. They started me up playing guitar for sure. Later, Jimi Hendrix, Cream ( Clapton ), Deep Purple, Led Zeppellin pushed me ahead, but The Beatles were the ones that started me, and I still play a lot of there songs.

Mine is a slightly long list.

My first and still favorite is SRV. I remember the first time I heard Texas Flood. Holy Heck, who could play with that much fire? I remember working for my father in August 1990, and hearing he had passed. The news at the time was pretty shady, and they weren't sure if Clapton was on the Helicopter. I stopped and thought how SRV's music touched me, and in September of 1990, decided to learn the guitar. I have since listened to his brother, who is great. But the difference is like champagne and beer. Jimmy is very classy and stylistic in his approach and Stevie was all big hands and passion. I am a beer guy.

Of course, by then I was raised on AC/DC, so I revisited all their songs as I learned to play. And I learned that Angus had some serious blues chops and vibrato.

Its funny that after I learned guitar, I started working backwards of the music I had heard, Joe Perry, Jimmy Page, Clapton, Billy Gibbons (great coffee table book btw), Robert Johnson.

The best live guitarist I have seen, and I have seen a lot, was Zakk Wylde. (I never got to see SRV live). I have seen almost all of the guitarists mentioned before. But what made Zakk seem incredible to me, was that he plays everything so effortlessly. His pinch harmonics are incredible. The rev Gibbons probably wonders how he does it. I liked him in the early to mid 90's, but I don't listen to his BLS stuff.

Also, on a blues note. Hello, BUDDY GUY. Incredible.

Enough Rambling,

Doth

wow, there's so many for me because my musical tastes have changed quite a bit since i started playing guitar. i think the first guitarist i heard that made me really wanna play guitar was Eddie VanHalen. As i got more into music i got interested in Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Angus, guys like that. then myy musical tastes began to get heavier and faster, so now my main influences are guys like Kirk Hammett, Randy Rhoads, Alex Skolnick, Dimebag, & Glenn Tipton.

Three pages of posts and nobody mentioned Hendrix!

Actually, it was Chuck Berry, The Ventures, and the Beach Boys that made me beg for a guitar and lessons for Christmas. After I got those licks down, it was Jimi's music that took me places on the neck that I had never been. From then on it was Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, Carlos Santana, Duane Allman, and Dickey Betts who influenced my style of today. Warren Haynes is my current guitar hero. Warren is a hard working musician with an original style built on the creations of others. I think that he has evolved blues/ rock guitar to a new level.

My guitar hero is Link Wray. I remember being a little kid & hearing 'Rumble' for the first time & feeling 'that thing' start rumbling inside me. I was about 8 years old. I've never been the same since.

You either know what I mean or you probably never will. Hell, people, 'Rumble' was an INSTRUMENTAL & IT GOT BANNED FROM RADIO!!

Think about that! An instumental.

My guitar hero is Link Wray. I remember being a little kid & hearing 'Rumble' for the first time & feeling 'that thing' start rumbling inside me. I was about 8 years old. I've never been the same since.

You either know what I mean or you probably never will. Hell' date=' people, 'Rumble' was an INSTRUMENTAL & [b']IT GOT BANNED FROM RADIO!![/b]

Think about that! An instumental.

I saw Link and the Wraymen about a year before he died at the State Theater in Virginia. He played the Wash D.C. area alot because of his early ties with the area. Good Show - alot of energy for a several decade "lunger". Good stuff.

First time here on this forum, Number 1 guitar hero would be Eric Clapton. Form there it would be Robert Cray. Who really influence me to pick up a guitar, would be Joe Perry, the Late Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jimmy Page, and rounding it off finally with Slash.

Many moons ago my guitar heroes were: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Carlos Santana, Neil Youngf, Alvin Lee. I also liked Paul Butterfield and Jeff Beck.

I don't know I have a guitar hero any more but I would have to say I enjoy Clapton the most of all.

Many moons ago my guitar heroes were: Jimi Hendrix' date=' Eric Clapton, Johnny Winter, Edgar Winter, Alvin Lee. I also liked Paul Butterfield and Jeff Beck.

I don't know I have a guitar hero any more but I would have to say I enjoy Clapton the most of all.[/quote']

Paul Butterfield was mostly known for his "Blues Harp," playing...but, if you're referring to Mike Bloomfield,

or Elvin Bishop, who both played guitar, with "Butterfield," then yeah...those guys were great, too. Might

check out "The Electric Flag" or "Supper Session" with Al Cooper, Stephen Stills, and Mike Bloomfield, too.

CB

Archived