Gibson Brands Forums

Another dumb question.

sledge57

Ok I've almost been convinced to buy the Sheri, BUT I spent all night watching Demos and reading reviews on Dots.

Now I'm wondering, is the difference between the Dot and a Sheri all cosmetic?

Looking at this from Epiphone they seem to be almost the same except for cosmetics and the fact they say the Sheri has a 3 piece maple neck and the Dot just says maple, same neck?

Is that what it is, just a more decked out version or is there something else that makes them sound, feel or play different?

Keep in mind I'm staring to play after 30 years of not playing and I stunk 30 years ago when I quit.

It seems like I should go with a Dot (same guy has a BEAUTIFUL Dot in Cherry) and save myself some $$$.

I listened to a ton of demos but never could find a comparison demo between the Dot and the Sheri, they both sounded good to me but played by different people so it's hard to compare.

Thanks for your patience..........................

DOT.jpg

Sheri.jpg

Can't really tell you what you "should" buy, but most love the Sheraton because of the necks, feel, size/shape.

The "bling" is nice, too...but not essential, to "tone." I've never really heard of anyone that was sorry for

getting a Sheraton over the Dot. But, I guess it's possible, some with larger hands might like the dot's fatter neck,

more. I own a Sheraton (JLH "Assembled in USA" version), which is really an Elitist, with USA parts, mini-humbuckers, and Nitro finish)

and I LOVE it! However, I don't take it out to play in the bars, I tend to play in, anymore. For that, I have a Korean

Riviera, which is essentially a less blinged version, complete with mini-humbuckers. So...Dot's are great guitars, but (for

me) they're not "Sheratons!" If you've ever played a Gibson 335, then their 355, you'll understand the differnce, a bit more.

CB

Don't judge by the $ or by the bling.....

.....find the guitar that feels right and sounds right.

+1 on that........and on the note about the binding .......the Sheraton has a bound neck, which almost guarantees no

sharp fret ends sticking out.

+1 on that........and on the note about the binding .......the Sheraton has a bound neck' date=' which almost guarantees no

sharp fret ends sticking out.[/quote']

I can't recall exactly, but I THINK the regular issue Sheraton has just a bound neck, which is purely cosmetic. I don't think it has binding that covers the fret ends, which prevents fret ends from sticking out. Binding over fret ends is usally a kind of luxe feature found on relatively more expensive quitars. The Elitist Sheraton MAY have had binding over the fret ends (the Elitist Broadway and Byrdland did), but I don't know. Anyone?

Red 333

my korean sheri has fret ends bound along with the neck.

the neck is definately thinner from top to back and feels great. Better than dots or lps to me for sure.

I love the neck.

The larger headstock has an effect on tone.

the five piece maple and mahogany necks bends less, reacts to pressure less, and lets me stay in tune when I get excited.

On guitar, I mean. I dont bend at all in the other excitement.

I'm sort of getting tired of:

inlaid headstock

multi ply binding

abalone triangle in block neck inlays

bound f holes

gold hardware

bound fret ends

being called 'bling'.

For one thing, bling, as used commonly, seems to intimate something frivolous bought by someone who wishes to impress

others with nothing to back it up.

that hardly describes a sheraton, which has plenty to back it up.

I'm fine with form following function, but I like beauty, too.

I'd own a dot just as proudly.

But I know I'd play the sheri more.

TWANG

Thanks guys, I understand the whole, play em both and pick what you like best theory, but like I said I'm so raw (read bad) I probably wont be able to tell much difference, that's why I wanted other peoples opinions.

It's hard to test a guitar when you're embarrassed to let anyone hear you play (I don't even let my wife hear me)

I just figured if the differences were cosmetic I'd get the Dot asd maybe save a life (mine =D> )

I'm going to look at both of them again today when I get off work and I'm pretty sure I'll be aggravating the poor soul in the room next to me tonight.

Your right Mr. Nelson' date=' haven't seen that in a while. Scratch glass and turn blue!! Stan.[/quote']

Where's Froggy???? Hiya hiya hiya....damn...it has to be thirty some years since Ghoul-diny was on... Champion of Cheese Whiz and the pride of Parma, Ohio...

Nelson

I had a dot studio which was'nt really my cup of tea' date=' I love my Sherry though, the neck binding alone is worth the extra $$$. Its also an original Epiphone, not a Gibson copy.[/quote']It's only an Epiphone original in name... the Sheraton, with Frequensator and mini-humbuckers was an Epiphone original. The Sheraton II, with stop-bar and standard humbuckers, is just a fancied-up Dot.

sledge57 --- Is your other gal a '68 hemi-Coronet? What a mean drivin' machine! With those wheels you should have plenty of babes looking for a ride..., so save the extra $$$, buy the DOT, and put your savings into a good amp or fuzzy dice.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy Group.............. (another obscure Ghoul reference for those who don't get it)

Well, I went for the bling (sorry Twang ](*,) )

I farted around (best way to describe my sound) with the Dot and the Sheri and while saving the $200 would have made me happy. I knew that I'd always wonder if I would have like the Sheri better, so following that convoluted thought process I bought the Sheri knowing I'd be happy with it.

I know it's Korean (says so on that sticker that has to go) but I don't know anything else about it, so the serial # is: ?04043022, I cant make out the first letter or number, it's right in the dark line running down the neck, looks like a K or an I to me. Can you tell any details by the number, like year etc..... He wasn't sure how long he had it there.

Now should I pay to have it setup?

No camera with me so I'll have to post pics when I get home tomorrow.

sledge57 --- Is your other gal a '68 hemi-Coronet? What a mean drivin' machine! With those wheels you should have plenty of babes looking for a ride...' date=' so save the extra $$$, buy the DOT, and put your savings into a good amp or fuzzy dice.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

No Hemi, I wanted more power devil.gif

It's a stroked BB, 470 inches and ~ 600hp It get's out of it's own way ok

third.gif

Bought the Sheri, already have a Peavy Vypyr amp, fuzzy dice however.........................

If it's an I, it's Saein, Korea/China. The sticker says Korea, so it's Korea.

The number puts it at April 2004, unit 3022.

If you don't think you can do a setup yourself, pay to have it done, and watch, if possible. If you like the way it feels, though, there's no need to do a setup. The only setup I ever do is intonation. I'm not terribly picky about action.

Thanks, I guess he had it awhile.

I thought the strings sounded a little dead.

What strings does everyone like, I realize this is like asking "what do you like in a woman" .............................

Honestly, I'm not too picky. I generally buy whatever is cheapest or most convenient.

I generally buy D'Addario, just because I like to say it. One thing to remember though, is not to buy Fender Bullets. You can buy Fender strings, but the Bullet strings have a bullet-shaped end, instead of a ball, designed to fit into the Fender trem block.

Try everything, though - D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GFS, Gibson, etc.

Archived