Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your Stratocaster

Lord Summerisle

Guest alanhindle
squierclassicvibe50sstrat2008.jpg

2008 squier classic vibe 50's. best strat ive played. and yes i ve played american standards' date=' still feels better. not to mention about a grand cheaper.[/quote']

You hear a lot of good things about these Classic Vibes, especially about their build quality and playability. In fact, the only bad things you here are from those people who have paid the extra grand and just don't like how good these are.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After seeing all these gorgeous strats, it's a bit embarassing that I only have the one. But it's a nice one custom made for me by Charlie Thomas in California. Spruce body, figured maple neck, rosewood fretboard and SD PUPS. My only regret was not having him put a whammy bar on...

strat.gif

stratneck1.gif

strathead1.gif

Ok as I mentioned earlier I might trade my PRS SE for a Strat, what's a new (4 months old or so) MIM Strat worth, it looks to be virtually un-played like my PRS.

I figure I have a HB guitar in my Sherri, a P-90 in the Wildkat so the Strat "seems" to make sense.

(I know it's backwards logic from a sick guitar obsessed mind =P~ )

So Strat fans what's a reasonable value, it's a sunburst finish, not real high on my list for finishes but it looks good.

The Strat looks identical to the Sunburst in the post above except it's a MIM and comes with a nice HS case.

Here's the PRS Im looking at giving up:

6.jpg

15.jpg

8.jpg

Mine is a much-modded Strat, bought new in 1987. Originally an ivory white Squier, the only modification I did was to spray it silver.

29846e16.jpg

I sold it to a stranger around 1990, I was doing a lot of home recording at the time and needed something more versatile. Years later, around 2001, I walked into a small music shop and recognised it hanging on the wall with a £115 price tag. I didn't own a Strat at the time, and next day I went back and bought it. It still felt great. I re-finished the body in satin-finish black, and fitted loads of chrome hardware to it.

Ant6090312pg.jpg

One night I was playing alongside another guy who was using an old Squier strat, and his sounded much better. He told me he'd fitted Bareknuckle pickups. I decided to upgrade mine, and did some research. Mine had the original ceramic pickups and a basswood body. I decided I needed good alnico 2 pickups and an alder body. I went for Kinman noiseless pickups at the neck and middle, and a Kent Armstrong 15k alnico 2 humbucker at the bridge. The Kinmans came with a treble bleed kit. Sent off for a USA alder body in 3 colour sunburst. Upgraded the bridge to get the modern saddle profile. Most recent mod was a few weeks ago, the passive TBX tone control wired to the 2 single coils. It's also had a full refret and neck re-finish.

5cde8637.jpg

It doesn't get played as much as it should; the band I'm with now is doing less blues and more rock, so I usually use Gibson/Marshall.

I have a 2005 MIM "Splatter" Strat Blue Hue. It's not a bad guitar, except for the POORLY done fingerboard (too narrow), but I'll probably replace the neck, with a USA neck, whenever I get the $$. It came (New) with Duncan Designed p/ups, which is odd, and it actually sounds better than my LP (tone/volume wise), hard to say, but it's true.

So Strat fans what's a reasonable value' date=' it's a sunburst finish, not real high on my list for finishes but it looks good.[/quote']

MIM Strats come up on CL all the time for around $400. A bit more if there's something special about them. USA strats come up fairly regularly for $700-1200, depending on condition, provenance, etc. One thing I have found about strats is they aren't always great at the outset. I had a USA strat that I gigged with for a few years but never really warmed up to it. The custom one I have now feels like I was born playing it.

MIM Strats come up on CL all the time for around $400. A bit more if there's something special about them. USA strats come up fairly regularly for $700-1200' date=' depending on condition, provenance, etc. One thing I have found about strats is they aren't always great at the outset. I had a USA strat that I gigged with for a few years but never really warmed up to it. The custom one I have now feels like I was born playing it.[/quote']

Thanks I'm asking $400 for the PRS so it sounds like a reasonable trade then.

I'd rather sell it out right but if I gotta trade it, at least I'll have a guitar I'll play some unlike the PRS.

I'm picking up a strat from my friend soon:d/ ...it's a real frankenstein. nice looking though...Has an american neck but, the body could be from the lowest end Squier..who knows!

I want it mainly for the studio. But, if the sound isn't there he'll be getting it back.

Some really beautiful guitars in this thread. Especially CB's!!!

Her is my recently acquired Squire Double Fat Strat. After not being much a Strat guy the last 10 years or so I didn't want to invest much and found this, with a nice soft shell case, on CL for $100. I'm happy with it so far and play it everyday. I've owned a couple of USA Strats, a USA G&L Strat, and a MIM and this feels as good as any to me.

I am thinking right now about trying to pick up one of the new CV 60s Strats.

003.jpg

Are you the new troll? I was only asking' date=' because the situation has been vacant since Marx Bros left.[/quote']

+1

I noticed Kodeejames was very rude to Notes on another post. I think we all pi$$ed in Kodee's cheerios or something.

I don't understand why people come here with the bad attitudes. If they don't like what they see, all they have to do is leave. It's not a hard concept to understand.

I've been GAS-ing for a strat lately.

I'd heard good things about the Squier Classic Vibe Teles, so am I to assume the strats are just as good?

I've been throwing a few ideas around lately, like building one, or buying a decent cheap one and changing the pickups - I've been considering the idea of making my own "Billy Corgan strat", by getting one of those Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strats, and fitting Lace Sensors, like the one he used for the bulk of Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie. If I can get the funds together, I may just decide to get either a 70's reissue (like the ones he used circa Gish) or even maybe stretch to one of his signature models, if I can scrape the money together.

This thread is tempting me even more to get a strat now.

I've been GAS-ing for a strat lately.

I'd heard good things about the Squier Classic Vibe Teles' date=' so am I to assume the strats are just as good?[/quote']

I played a Squire CV 60s Strat at a local shop and it felt fantastic; better than any MIM Fender that I've ever played. I definantly have one of these on my radar.

I've heard good things about the Squier Classic Vibes all the way around, so I think you could be on to something good there.

For folks looking for a cheap "Strat" however, I've always been a big fan of the Yamaha Pacifica:

419941.jpg

Archived