Gibson Brands Forums

Bad Day At Grover?

deepblue

I sent a letter to Grover. I asked about "drop in" tuners so no altering is required.

First post is my letter to Grover. The next is their reply to me.

What do you think....was he being a jerk or am I over sensitive?

Letter to Grover...

Hello...

I have a Les Paul historic. Id like to install a get of Grover Rotomatics.

I have been told they don’t just "drop in"...you need to ream to hole, and it also leaves unsightly holes visable

from where the original Klusons used to be.

Is there such a thing as a drop in for my historic?.....if not, perhaps in the future your design team would consider such a product?

I know a lot of Les Paul players who would like to switch to Grover, but don’t want to alter their guitar in any way to accommodate the switch.

A simple drop in replacement is what we need.

Just food for thought.

Thank you...

Patrick Flaherty

Grovers reply to me...

Patrick; The hole size you will need is 25/64ths of an inch or 10mm. You will have to measure. If that does not work for you a mold for a new dimension is 10K . let me know if your Les Paul players would like to invest.

I think its called brutal truth. :D

I would call it - insensitive jerk from Grover insults customer for no good reason. We all know this response SHOULD have been handled better.

It really makes you wonder how bad some companies are run when they care so little about customer service that they would allow someone with the tact of moron send communications in their name.

I'm crossing Grover off my list.

I'll be telling everyone I can about the outrageous treatment dealt out by Grover "customer service".

I would call it - insensitive jerk from Grover insults customer for no good reason. We all know this response SHOULD have been handled better.

It really makes you wonder how bad some companies are run when they care so little about customer service that they would allow someone with the tact of moron send communications in their name.

I'm crossing Grover off my list.

I'll be telling everyone I can about the outrageous treatment dealt out by Grover "customer service".

True, also i cant really defend em.

They are only on my b.c. rich anyway, they do its job good. :D

Holy Bugger, you guys need to chill.

Just consider, in the run of a day, how many "this is what I think you need to do, so say we all" they get from people, on a regular basis. I think the guy is just tired of hearing the whole generalization of what people "need" based on their own preferences.

Yes, he could have phrased it better, but at least you got a response. As for the recommendation well that's up to the LP community I suppose.

Thanks for the input guys.

I myself thought he was being a little surly.

Anyone do the math?

It would take a mere 167 people x $60 to = $10k $10,020 to be exact.

Bump the price to a more realistic $80 and its only 125 purchases.

Perhaps we should all invest? lol

Ouch. It definitely reads like they were being a little rude. If I had to guess, this is probably one of those questions that they get a lot, and they're probably just tired of answering it. Really, there's no excuse for acting like that, but I've worked in customer service before, and I've answered the same question a thousand times to different people...it wears on ya. So, in a way, I can empathize with that particular rep. Regardless, it was unprofessional to reply like that. More than likely it's a management/owners decision, and they probably have their reasons for not making tuners that fit. Why that is, I have no idea, but you can bet that they probably have some reason, and it probably has to do with money. I wish they'd make tuners that fit too. It seems dumb that they don't. I'd invest with you guys...

I would have answered back "Sure if any profits made after the initial investment of 10 grand were split among the investors." Some of you are giving way too much slack to the rep, it's not like Deep was a jerk about it in the first place, I know in most cases management would be contacted if a potential customer got a response like that and the person would be reprimanded at the least.

Yeah. That last comment was very sarcastic. At first I kind of excused it by thinking, like some others, that Grover gets that question a lot. But then I thought more:

1. Grover is a "niche" company. What percentage of the population plays guitar, and how many of that group ever change tuners? How many of those people ever take the time to write to Grover? I doubt they are inundated with letters :-k

2. If by chance Grover is inundated with those questions/suggestions, don't you think someone there would have concluded that demand is high enough to justify getting these new molds? It seems they would quickly pay for themselves in sales.

So yeah, the guy is a ******.

Sorry guys, but if this reply comes from customer service, it is way over the top. No excsuses. The story of the 10k should have been formulated properly! You can explain the expensive process by adding just one sentence.

As a matter of fact, every company that receives a letter, like that from deepblue, should be thankful! This is first hand market research, for free!

Whoever wrote that response to you has no business working for Grover. All he had to say was that there wasn't enough demand right now to justify the expense of gearing up to manufacture a different product. People can understand that.

Actually, $10,000 doesn't seem like a lot to spend for Grover to finally make a drop-in replacement.

Archived