Gibson Brands Forums

Page/White apology

LarryUK

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am with Fred/Nathan on this. Jack White is the real deal. There is a little PT Barnum in there, but isn't that what all great performers have? I think he is a musical genius who marches to the beat of his own drum. He is also a heavy student of the blues and not some dope who thinks he knows the blues.

He is also a heavy student of the blues and not some dope who thinks he knows the blues.

I'll give you that - at least from what the movie shows.

Seems genuine in his interest, I'm just skeptical of what he's selling until I hear something I really like.

I wasn't impressed with "It might get loud" artistically speaking, but the "actors" made up for the deficits of the director: Jimmy Page was amazing, as one might expect; Jack White was quirky and interesting; and the Edge was a very nice and humble guy. He isn't a "real guitar player" in the same way that Page and White are, but he has written some very important guitar music.

For me it was worth the price of admission just to see Jimmy play some slide!

_worship__revamp2_by_luckylinx.gif

...Jimmy Page was amazing, as one might expect; Jack White was quirky and interesting; and the Edge was a very nice and humble guy. He isn't a "real guitar player" in the same way that Page and White are, but he has written some very important guitar music...

I think you've nailed it.

And surely that was the whole reason those three particular guitarists were chosen - because of their very different approaches to the guitar and the different styles of music which they each make with it?

"Eclectic music" is basically weird music that people will pay money to hear.

If nobody's paying, then it's just plain weird.

[woot]

I watched the movie too.

There's something to be said for all that, but the majority of it is marketing himself.

There's talent, and I liked getting a glimpse into his influences, but he's still a Depp clone.

I don't dislike him, and I find him mildly entertaining, but he is NOT a Guitar God.

Do remember that I was in high school and learning about all the guitar players I could - 30 years ago.

Seen a lot of hype come and go in the meanwhile...

[thumbup]

BWAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

Okay, so people paid for his music. White Stripes went 10 years, won Awards, etc. Raconteurs made 2 albums, have a ton of fans, and only stopped for other projects.

So it's not weird [thumbup]

Okay, so since he got people to pay for his music, he isn't weird. And the music isn't that weird. Your definition of eclectic and mine are different. Listen to some of his slide solos. THOSE are eclectic, but so powerful at the same time. It's all the blues that he's playing, that's it. Just through two cranked 100 watt Silvertones and a fuzzbox in front [thumbup]

A Depp clone? How? Oh, that's right. Jack White was in a pirate movie? Oh wait? No he wasn't? nevermind [flapper]

Did I say he was a guitar god? :rolleyes: No, if you look back at my post, I said I look at his talent in the song writing, he is no fantastic player, and like he even says, he found comfort in that. They put on the whole "brother and sister" charade so they could go up there, and just play the blues.

Seen a lot of hype come and go? Oh wait, he's remained who he is for the past 15 years.

Just using your style of attacking each point, I just don't have the same amount of time as you do to break down every word the person writes. Fun ain't it [laugh]

Relax, Fred. There comes a time in some people's lives, when they are incapable of accepting something new.

NeoConMan is just missing his Hair Bands...

[sad]

Oh I know. He just likes to rip apart anything he doesn't understand and claim it's wrong or bad. It was fun to throw it around on him... I fully expect a giant response to all of this. He says it doesn't bug him, but it really does.

Shred- I don't think his music is weird either (even Dead Weather) but a lot of people do. I don't argue with them

Neo is seriously fun to mess with, he's like a time bomb that runs backwards.

Have fun man

My respect and admiration for Page is pretty evident. I also respect The Edge, but not nearly to the level of Page. And this movie introduced me to Jack White, and it's been a blast discovering his works. He seems pretty damn genuine to me, very into the core of music. He seems to give it all and more when he's playing live, pretty much leaves it all out there.

My respect and admiration for Page is pretty evident. I also respect The Edge, but not nearly to the level of Page. And this movie introduced me to Jack White, and it's been a blast discovering his works. He seems pretty damn genuine to me, very into the core of music. He seems to give it all and more when he's playing live, pretty much leaves it all out there.

that's what impressed me the most. anyone can make a great album, but few can play well live and give it all [thumbup]

Jimmy Page was amazing, as one might expect; Jack White was quirky and interesting; and the Edge was a very nice and humble guy. He isn't a "real guitar player" in the same way that Page and White are, but he has written some very important guitar music.

I think you've nailed it.

And surely that was the whole reason those three particular guitarists were chosen - because of their very different approaches to the guitar and the different styles of music which they each make with it?

+1

Jack White? Hey good for him. But I'm not a big fan. The Edge? You always know its him. I did like the fact that he still seemed like a kid in a candy store when he was in his gear room. I've always liked JP. I'm a big fan of his acoustic work, which doesn't seem to get a lot of mention.

Sorry if I've said this before, but my 2 favorite parts of that movie are

1) when Jimmy is listening to Link Wray "Rumble" the look of elation and joy, you can tell he was transported back to 195? listening to it for the first time

2) when Jimmy breaks into the opening riff of "Whole Lotta Love"; the look on Jack and The Edge's face were priceless. Like they were 4 years old and seeing Santa for the first time.

stevejoshlay1 - Gary Moore

Fred61 - Jack White

swleary - Metallica

MojoRedFoot - Metallica

ShredAstaire - Buckethead

Have I missed anyone? lol

Yeah you left out the biggest Tony Iommi fan here, me. How many guitarists do you know that can create the most famous riffs in history missing the tips of two fingers?

Okay, so people paid for his music. White Stripes went 10 years, won Awards, etc. Raconteurs made 2 albums, have a ton of fans, and only stopped for other projects.

Jethro Tull won a Grammy for best metal band in the eighties.

Jackyl (a favorite band of mine) won a Grammy in the nineties - hilarious!

Awards are a joke.

So it's not weird [thumbup]

Yes, it is. [flapper]

Okay, so since he got people to pay for his music, he isn't weird. And the music isn't that weird. Your definition of eclectic and mine are different. Listen to some of his slide solos. THOSE are eclectic, but so powerful at the same time. It's all the blues that he's playing, that's it. Just through two cranked 100 watt Silvertones and a fuzzbox in front

I told you I found some of his stuff interesting, just not entralling.

Had this conversation with some guys at work, so they put on some of his music.

Seen him on TV, he's on the radio some, I know what he sounds like.

I would easily rank him above Buckethead.

[thumbup]

A Depp clone? How? Oh, that's right. Jack White was in a pirate movie? Oh wait? No he wasn't? nevermind [flapper]

I stand by my assessment.

Did I say he was a guitar god? :rolleyes: No, if you look back at my post, I said I look at his talent in the song writing, he is no fantastic player, and like he even says, he found comfort in that. They put on the whole "brother and sister" charade so they could go up there, and just play the blues.

Um, yeah, I know.

Seen a lot of hype come and go? Oh wait, he's remained who he is for the past 15 years.

Yeah, obscure.

And weird.

But he can play slide, and I get a kick out of anybody who can make an old Airline ROCK. [thumbup]

Just using your style of attacking each point, I just don't have the same amount of time as you do to break down every word the person writes. Fun ain't it [laugh]

It's not patented, feel free.

But for the sake of clarity you really should separate the boxes for each point - no confusion at all that way.

[woot][lol]

Regarding your reply to freak show (and I'm not a Hair Band guy) ...

Oh I know. He just likes to rip apart anything he doesn't understand and claim it's wrong or bad.

I understand it just fine. I simply don't think there's really much there.

It was fun to throw it around on him... I fully expect a giant response to all of this. He says it doesn't bug him, but it really does.

Response granted.

Doesn't bug me in the least, I simply enjoy throwing up a wall of logic that mere mortals are powerless against.

(Wish the dancing smiley emoticon worked here - dammit!!! :lol:

Neo is seriously fun to mess with, he's like a time bomb that runs backwards.

Huh?

Yeah, but look how seldom he takes the stage.

The whole O2 Arena thing was so hyped for that very reason.

He's been living a full life offstage for 30 years - the one thing I envy most about him.

Page has warts, but I'm still a huge fan of his work in Led Zep.

Solo stuff less so, and I think he's smart enough to realize the old creative circumstance simply does not exist.

He's moved on to a comfortable retirement...

[thumbup]

Archived