Gibson Brands Forums

Steely Dan

daveinspain

Absolutely one of my favorite bands, when I remember to remember them.. [blush]

Pretzel Logic, Aja, The Royal Scam,

I loved the way their music wrapped itself around itself and occasionally, you hear a great solo, but it was just music swirling around other music that no one else was making.

Thanks for the vid!

Loved the guitar work in this song especially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbUaxsB3WQ

I posted a thread about Steely Dan a couple of years back and was greatly gratified that so many people loved 'em.

They are not the kind of band I usually like, but Steely Dan is one of those rare "bands" that is so brilliant in their songwriting that they overcome any kind of genre hang-up. Their hooks, melody, and twisted lyrics all seemed to blend seemlessly.

Long Live Steely Dan!

Absolutely one of my favorite bands, when I remember to remember them.. [blush]

Pretzel Logic, Aja, The Royal Scam,

I loved the way their music wrapped itself around itself and occasionally, you hear a great solo, but it was just music swirling around other music that no one else was making.

Thanks for the vid!

Loved the guitar work in this song especially

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZbUaxsB3WQ

Thankyou so much for this post

My all-time favourite 'Dan' track

Do you happen to know who took the solo

On the semi?

top 3 bands, Rush

Led Zeppelin Steely dan

Ive got the hard rock, the jazz, and at the top... mixed.

I love steely dan. the first I heard of them was my dad's alive in america cd, and then when I heard their studio records I was like what?

but yeah, I like all their records now.

That was good Dave, Thanks. I love Steely Dan. I never knew Michael McDonald was singing in Peg.

Did anyone else notice that the sub-titles were horrible? They got about every third word wrong. [huh]

Those subtitles were quite funny. We get translations like that here in the UK from China and India.

I was watching them more than the vid by the end.

How can you not know it was M mcdonald? He's got the best (original) voice going.

As it was once said..'He's the best 'white' black singer out there'.

Wasn't he the first white man to win a black music award?

My favourite singer.

I don't sorry. And it's not nearly as fast as the studio version, Jeff Baxter on that (I think, if Wiki is right).

On the studio, Countdown to Ecstasy version, I think Denny Dias did the first solo, and Skunk did the second solo. The studio "Bodhisattva" is one of my favorite recordings.

This is just good stuff.

Archived