Gibson Brands Forums

Kay basket case

ksdaddy

I would say the only value of that guitar is ART. And not very attractive art at that.

I do have a Kay built Silvertone archtop that I spent WAY too much time and effort restoring, or at least making PLAYABLE. Among many other things, not only did it need a neck reset, I had to completely make and install a new dovetail on the heel of the neck. It was a fun project and put my woodworking skills to the test. When I finished and strung it up, the first chord I struck JUMPED out of that guitar with an incredible sound. It had just been waiting to sing again.

So, maybe you should proceed.

As the link to my site will explain, I picked up a basket case Kay recently. At first I thought, wow, a rescued hippie guitar. Once it was in my hands I realized it's not an objet d'art, it's a disaster.

Tell me I'm doing the right thing by stripping all this crap off it.

Kay Value Leader not in a dumpster

Absolutely right. Clean that poor thing up! [thumbup]

There were no parts with it except the tuners, which are trash. The good news is that the original pickguard was just a trapezoid shaped piece of metal and the pickups were flat-mount... so it's almost like a blank slate. They came in one, two, and three pickup configuration and they all had the same routing. I have no clue as to what I will fit it with.... depends on if I can score one or two flat mount Kay pickups or if I rout it for a single P-90. Too early in the game to decide. At this point it's a rescue mission to make it into something playable and decent looking. It's a foregone conclusion that the end will not justify the means, I'll just try to keep the budget in line. I 'impulse bought' a brand new set of Ping Schaller copy tuners a couple months ago, still in the package, for $10, so now I have a home for them. I have plenty of bone nut blanks and the local pawn shop has a handful of NOS flat-mount adjustable bridges from the 60s. I already have pots, caps, and knobs, so that's covered. I might still have an old Egmond pickup that looks like a Kay 'speed bump' pickup. I'll have to dig around in my junk tonight.

Gawd, I get excited over little things.....

Stripping it was the right thing. Although, I seem to recall seeing that piece somewheres? I think it was Life magazine lay out of some artwork done by some cat called... Picadillo? Pilasso? Piganno? ... I dunno. Some unknown, I guess.

Although stripping it on the coffee table probably got you in dutch with the missus. [cursing]

You might, however, want to rephrase that last statement.

... I'll have to dig around in my junk tonight.

Gawd, I get excited over little things.....

[woot][laugh]

No point in denying a true statement, be it literal or innuendo.

Some of the ZipStrip leached through the newspaper on the coffee table and removed some finish. That may be a blessing in disguise. Our coffee table is one of those big thick dark stained pine ones from the 70s, may or may not have been 'relic'd' at the factory (remember those days?). It was beat to crap when I bought it used in '87 for $15. At some point I laid a cost of polyurethane onto it and it's been slowly peeling and chipping off. This may be the motivation to strip the top and do an oil finish.

• 1 month later...

Anybody got any flat-mount pickups laying around? I'm ready to make the new nut and install the tuners...

http://www.angelfire.com/me4/ksdaddy/kay_value_leader.html

$100 in 1963 was a lot of chedder :blink:

So far it looks good.

BTW I have some old New York mini humbuckers floating around here somewhere. If you want them lemme know

Duane I can probably use them and I'm sure we can hammer out a deal. I'm just stuck wondering what to put in for pickup(s). They came with flat mount, possibly made by DeArmond, which are getting hard to find and have a cult following and a corresponding price. A simple answer would be to put humbuckers of some sort; it will need to be routed regardless.

If you find them, just PM me with a cost.

Archived