Gibson Brands Forums

PayPal, I don't like you

heymisterk

With all due respect to those who love it, I tried to purchase something for the first time using PayPal - which I erroneously thought was as simple as simply paying with a credit card - only to be greeted by a plethora of steps that made the transaction for a newbie pretty damned impossible.

One could argue that I should have familiarized myself with the process before bidding, blah-blah-blah...and they'd have a point; I own that. Still, as I tried to work my way through the system and dutifully pay for my item, I was greeted by steps worthy of a Rube Goldberg invention. [cursing] I finally gave up in frustration and sent the guy a money order.

If you love PayPal, bless you child. But does anyone else find the process a bit - or very - cumbersome? Any advice?

Once you get through the initial steps to setup and activate your account I think you will find it very convenient. I'm not sure it really expedites the shipping of your items, even PayPal takes a few days to "clear", but it does eliminate the need for the run to the bank and post office.

Once you get through the initial steps to setup and activate your account I think you will find it very convenient. I'm not sure it really expedites the shipping of your items, even PayPal takes a few days to "clear", but it does eliminate the need for the run to the bank and post office.

I agree, the setup is aggravating but then it is a breeze, and like Larry said it sure beats going to get a MO all the time. Mainly I use it for the protection it affords you.

I don't remember the registration process to have been any more difficult than signing up for eBay.

The good thing about PayPal is that they offer buyer protection. I once had dealings with a dishonest seller who didn't send me my item, and PayPal refunded my money very quickly.

Thank you, PayPal. I like you!

:rolleyes:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds paypal irritating. I've had a lot of hassle with it.

One problem I had was that during the course of buying various CD's etc from websites some time ago I clicked on the buy icon and gave my email addy etc then about a year later I found that I now had 3 different paypal accounts. It seems that sometimes when you buy from a website it automatically sets up a paypal account and so I had not realized that I had inadvertently opened accounts on 3 different cards.Then the tricky part started . . . trying to communicate with paypal and consolidate the accounts all into one.

They are not that easy to deal with.

I actually like PayPal. Like everyone, at first it was a pain to get it running right, and was difficult to remember to actually release the money, etc. But.... last week I bought a $10 manual for a Casio keyboard I have. After several days of not getting the PDF, I contacted the manual place and opened up a service report. Never got any action on the service report. So I went to PayPal and filed a report with them. I was at the point where I would going to escalate the report to a claim to get my lousy $10 back, and the manual place sent me the PDF. I doubt they would have done that had they not been faced with having the $10 debited to their PayPal account.

I've used Paypal for 8 years, it's gotten much worse recently.

Ebay owns them now, and guess what - can't use money orders anymore, for my "safety"...

I sold two guitars via Ebay this year, and as good as it always was in the past - IT SUCKED!!!

Wait three weeks to collect MY $2,000 and pay them 10% as well?

I challenge ANY of you to get something resolved via Customer Service with a real live person - with Ebay OR PayPal.

Gotta learn a foreign language...

You will NEVER get a phone number for anybody at Ebay/PayPal corporate in California.

FxCK them.

I have perfect feedback as a long-time user, and I'm done if it's anything more than $100.

I really dislike that you are not allowed to NOT accept PayPal when you sell something. I bought my SG Standard in '02, and I don't remember that being a rule at all. I know they are trying to prevent fraud and so forth, but if I am willing to take the "risk" on, say, someone with 245 transactions and 100% positive feedback selling me something, then they should let me. Something tells me that if Neo or most others agreed to sell me a guitar and I agreed to pay $2K for it and sent a bank check...well, then it would be a smooth transaction.

A couple of times, I have emailed the seller to see if they would take a money order or bank check instead of PayPal and the response has always been "Sure." One guy even offered to knock $20 off the shipping cost. This time, I tried to do PayPal and just got a bad taste in my mouth: frankly, I don't want PayPal linked to my bank account. I get that that is a personal choice, but I don't like it.

I challenge ANY of you to get something resolved via Customer Service with a real live person - with Ebay OR PayPal.

You will NEVER get a phone number for anybody at Ebay/PayPal corporate in California.

Totally agree.

I bought some guitar parts from Ebay and then the seller decided I should pay a higher price that I won them at, as they decided they were worth more.

Got absolutely no help whatsoever from Ebay, didn't get the items I "won" and and the seller is still active.

Wait three weeks to collect MY $2,000 and pay them 10% as well?

Gotta learn a foreign language...

Wow I didn't realize they got such a large cut out of your sale, I've only purchased items on ebay, never been a seller.

Wow I didn't realize they got such a large cut out of your sale

Yeah, the total is nearly 10%.

Pay a fee to list on Ebay.

Pay fees depending on the type of add.

Pay a Final Value fee based on a percentage of the sale price.

Pay a percentage to PayPal to handle your transaction "safely."

Then pay for shipping (even if you charged for it) to send your item off to the lucky buyer who is blissfully unaware of your hassles.

If you put an ad on Ebay that even mentions the words "money order" in the text, it will get flagged and you can't post it.

You are NOT allowed to use something as safe as United States Postal Money Orders, even though you have the Postmaster General on your side.

Fraud at that level is a federal crime, and for that reason I've used them for 30 years.

What's Ebay/PayPal gonna do for you?

Yeah, right...

[cursing]

Ebay bought PayPal to corner the market and control money transfers, the reason being more than simply additional profit.

Anybody remember the business model Ebay started with all those years ago?

As an alternative to big, greedy corporations and to give the individual a shot at making a buck or two on his own...

Yeah, the total is nearly 10%.

Pay a fee to list on Ebay.

Pay fees depending on the type of add.

Pay a Final Value fee based on a percentage of the sale price.

Pay a percentage to PayPal to handle your transaction "safely."

Then pay for shipping (even if you charged for it) to send your item off to the lucky buyer who is blissfully unaware of your hassles.

If you put an ad on Ebay that even mentions the words "money order" in the text, it will get flagged and you can't post it.

You are NOT allowed to use something as safe as United States Postal Money Orders, even though you have the Postmaster General on your side.

Fraud at that level is a federal crime, and for that reason I've used them for 30 years.

Yeah, right...

[cursing]

Ebay bought PayPal to corner the market and control money transfers, the reason being more than simply additional profit.

Anybody remember the business model Ebay started with all those years ago?

As an alternative to big, greedy corporations and to give the individual a shot at making a buck or two on his own...

Yeah I know that is why I don't sell on eBay anymore. Mostly just buy.

Neo is right on the money. When I sold my Guild about two years ago, I mentioned "money order" in the text of payments that I accepted and immediately my ad was rejected and I had to "Accept" PayPal. Well, I didn't, and fortunately I found an understanding buyer... [flapper]

I've used PayPal for a lot of on-line purchases since 2003. I don't recall what the sign-up process was like except that I don't recall that it was much of an ordeal. Since sign-up, I've not had any problems with PayPal, and I think I prefer PayPal to other on-line payment methods.

I used to sell on Ebay in the early 2000's. I did well, but after a while the fees got bigger and bigger, and I quit selling, just buying. I see a bunch of dummies posting multiple items for a high 'buy it now' price, and never sell. These are suckers Ebay loves.

Archived