Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you like the remastered version of an album then the original one?

dem00n

Usually, no.

I remember when ZZ Top's "LaGrange" was released on compact disc and the drums were SO different.

Hated it.

I still notice it when I hear it, decades later.

Sounds much better, but it didn't sound "right" for the longest time.

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I like it better remastered.

For me I like both the original and the remastered. Think Dark Side was one of the few that was done really well with the careful attention of the band and the engineers.

Like the remastered version better on CD, but still love spinning it up on vinyl. Completely different experiences.

All of the Led Zeppelin albums which were remastered by Jimmy Page. Also, Twisted Sister's Stay Hungry sounds better than the original.

Usually, no.

I remember when ZZ Top's "LaGrange" was released on compact disc and the drums were SO different.

Hated it.

I still notice it when I hear it, decades later.

Sounds much better, but it didn't sound "right" for the longest time.

That one actually went too far and was beyond remastered, it was remixed. Specifically, the drums which were done in a big time 80's style (awful - and I LIKE the 80's).

The whole Beatles catalog was recently remastered and release. I LOVE IT!!

+1,000,000

Before the remastered box set, the best you could find were the Purple Chick vinyl rips/remasters but the box set exceeded that as the Purple Chick recordings, while really good, tended to be a little heavy in the high end.

I have to agree on all of the Led Zeppelin albums.

They were subtle, but there are differences.

Re: LaGrange

Specifically, the drums which were done in a big time 80's style

(awful - and I LIKE the 80's).

Yeah, the original version you could almost smell the BBQ/cigarettes and feel the sticky floor under your boots.

On the digital version, the drums sounded WAY too big, glossy and clean - like a studio or something...

[thumbup]

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I like it better remastered.

I have the old Mobile Fidelity vinyl remaster of Dark Side - much nicer than the original. The Mobile Fidelity remasters (on vinyl) of the Beatles and Stones albums were also much clearer than the original vinyls.

I have mixed feelings about remasters...sometimes I think just a way of making more money with minimum effort (ie no new songs). I have the original vinyl Sgt Pepper album and felt the digital remaster was not as good, although it depends on individual taste.

:-({|=

Generally not, but with some exceptions.

Especially with "classic rock" albums.

Often the re-mastering is simply dump-ware, I've heard the tambourine louder than the lead vocals, great guitar lines buried in the mix, and so on. But then, on the remix you can often hear parts that were buried in the original mix that are interesting.

On many of the old albums, there was more time spent mixing than recording with input by the musicians who played the music, conversely, on many of the remixes it seems to have been done by people not familiar with the music who seem to want to get on to the next project as soon as possible.

But like I said, with some exceptions.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I have the old Mobile Fidelity vinyl remaster of Dark Side - much nicer than the original. The Mobile Fidelity remasters (on vinyl) of the Beatles and Stones albums were also much clearer than the original vinyls.

I was going to ask which Dark Side remaster. I heard the Mobile Fidelity remaster is amazing.

My vote goes for the three Sonic Youth deluxe remasters, especially Goo. The early nineties were not the best time for mastering so it is good to hear these albums get proper treatment.

Depends on what you're comparing to. Most of older albums re-released on CD back when the format was new sound like absolute ***, and are probably a large part of the crap the CD format is getting thrown at it still today. So the remasters of those are generally something I prefer.

Good to hear, I'd been wondering if it was worth getting the remastered Beatles albums. Usually when I hear "remastered" I think of George Lucas destroying his good movies.

Totally worth it, IMO. My girlfriend bought me the box set for Christmas last year and sounds awesome.

What always blew my mind (not in a car) was how The Beatle's recordings, even before they were remastered, always sounded so superior to other recordings from the same respective years. Not all recording studios and engineers are created equal, but The Beatle's albums always sounded way superior to pretty much everything else at a given time.

Archived