Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Or Nothing?

MrNylon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since I use Fender and Gibson in my Front Line I can't say I'd use Fender instead of Gibson, I'd need a replacement for the Gibson side of the spectrum. That wouldn't be that easy to do, IMO PRS doesn't sound enough like a Gibson to fit the bill. I feel the same way Duane does about Schecter and Ibanez, just never like the sound or feel of one enough to buy one.

Jackson makes very nice stuff, but even then, thats for Super Strat stuff. They can't replace my Nighthawk.

If I HAD to choose a replacement for my Nighthawk and It couldn't be another Gibby, I'd get me a BC Rich Dagger. They play like a dream and sound as good as any Gibby Semi-Hollowbody I've ever tried.

~display-EG00705.jpg

But I certainly hope I never have to replace my Nighthawk, I'd be lost.

Since I use Fender and Gibson in my Front Line I can't say I'd use Fender instead of Gibson, I'd need a replacement for the Gibson side of the spectrum. That wouldn't be that easy to do, IMO PRS doesn't sound enough like a Gibson to fit the bill. I feel the same way Duane does about Schecter and Ibanez, just never like the sound or feel of one enough to buy one.

Jackson makes very nice stuff, but even then, thats for Super Strat stuff. They can't replace my Nighthawk.

If I HAD to choose a replacement for my Nighthawk and It couldn't be another Gibby, I'd get me a BC Rich Dagger. They play like a dream and sound as good as any Gibby Semi-Hollowbody I've ever tried.

~display-EG00705.jpg

But I certainly hope I never have to replace my Nighthawk, I'd be lost.

Didnt they stop making the Daggers?

Didnt they stop making the Daggers?

Yes, [sad] it would have to be a used one. But since they were never very popular they can be pretty reasonable for a used one.

A friend of mine let me play one a few weeks back, believe it or not it was one of the best Blues Guitars I've ever played.

Yes, [sad] it would have to be a used one. But since they were never very popular they can be pretty reasonable for a used one.

A friend of mine let me play one a few weeks back, believe it or not it was one of the best Blues Guitars I've ever played.

Ive never played one, i thought they looked chessy but cool at the same time.

One for sale here. http://www.beyondeleven.com/BC-Rich-Big-Dagger-Semi-Hollow-Body-Guitar-p/bc-rich-dagger-sedgbo.htm

I bought my stealth from there, never found it anywhere else cheaper.

Ya gotta get past that name thing; really those EVH Wolfgang's are fantastic guitars. While I have never owned one I am on the lookout for a Peavey made one; I am unsure what the Fender versions play like. The Peavey versions smoked... And yes it is 100 percent a personal choice. Don't ever let peer pressure force ya into a purchase you don't want; or only halfway thought through. All things considered many haters here and those are close minded individuals and usually they have no idea what the are talking about since they are like brick walls. Ya gotta think out of the box; without that thinking I would have never ventured out and got to know Ibanez, Fender, Schecter, or even Peavey amps. Majority of the mfg's out there have their cheesy offerings; but most have better offerings also.

I know what you're saying, man. I KNOW the EVHs are awesome (too awesome!). I do like Ibanez, Music Man, Fender, PRS, and others. I know, I somewhat go back and forth on the name issue, but in the end I look at it like SRV playing a Clapton Sig, and so on... Now, I'm by no means suggesting I'm like SRV etc... But I do like what comes out of my fingers. And many may think I'm crazy, but it's me who plays my guitars. I think outside of the box but don't get so far that I start losing myself and do what others want for me. I do want an Ibanez real bad that can do crazy pinch harmonics (maybe with some Duncan Seymours or Dimarzios or pickups I haven't heard yet). Anyway, I hear you my man... Too many goodies out there, bro... LOL

Ive never played one, i thought they looked chessy but cool at the same time.

One for sale here. http://www.beyondeleven.com/BC-Rich-Big-Dagger-Semi-Hollow-Body-Guitar-p/bc-rich-dagger-sedgbo.htm

I bought my stealth from there, never found it anywhere else cheaper.

That's what I thought when I first saw it. The pointy horns and dagger F-holes are questionable, but soon as I felt and heard it it was cool. The one I tried didn't have the Bigsby, it was a Stop tail.

That's a pretty nice site, thanks for the link.

Ya gotta get past that name thing; really those EVH Wolfgang's are fantastic guitars. While I have never owned one I am on the lookout for a Peavey made one; I am unsure what the Fender versions play like. The Peavey versions smoked...

I was at the Fender Plant some time ago, and I was given a Fender WG to noodle with, and I can tell with complete certainty this guitar is nowhere near the Peavey WG.

wolfgang.jpg

Don't mess with the lower series guitar by Ibanez; go for the Prestige models. The lower end stuff is made in Indonesia and have the same complaints as Epi guitars etc...

Indeed, I like the Prestige stuff! Thanks for looking out for me, man! [thumbup]

Besides a Guitar made by a GIBSON Subsidiary Company (Ahem...),

I stumbled across a guitar that just blew me away, not only for the price,

but the QUALITY of the construction AND playability.

A Jay Turser JT-200 PRO (LP Style Double Cut-away).

I grabbed it on ebay for $109.00 about a year ago. Now they're selling

for $249 - $279. Before buying, I did research, read the reviews (all HIGH),

so I pulled the trigger and waited.

After receiving, I eyeballed, re-strung, did the set-up, and played.

UNREAL! This guitar is built like a TANK. Has a fat "C" set neck, and

weighs 10 pounds. Stock pups are respectable, sensitive enough to throw

out pinch harmonics on demand, tone is not bottom-heavy at all.

The Tuners are the "weak point". Not garbage, but I WILL be upgrading

eventually.

I LOVE it so much I want ANOTHER. I LOVE it so much I bought a CASE for it

and have kept it.

Harmony Central Reviews (Avg. reviews in all areas go from 8.5 to 9.7)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Jay+Turser/JT-200+Pro/10/1

Just my 2 cents...

100_0291.jpg

100_0292.jpg

Besides a Guitar made by a GIBSON Subsidiary Company (Ahem...),

I stumbled across a guitar that just blew me away, not only for the price,

but the QUALITY of the construction AND playability.

A Jay Turser JT-200 PRO (LP Style Double Cut-away).

I grabbed it on ebay for $109.00 about a year ago. Now they're selling

for $249 - $279. Before buying, I did research, read the reviews (all HIGH),

so I pulled the trigger and waited.

After receiving, I eyeballed, re-strung, did the set-up, and played.

UNREAL! This guitar is built like a TANK. Has a fat "C" set neck, and

weighs 11 pounds. Stock pups are respectable, sensitive enough to throw

out pinch harmonics on demand, tone is not bottom-heavy at all.

The Tuners are the "weak point". Not garbage, but I WILL be upgrading

eventually.

I LOVE it so much I want ANOTHER. I LOVE it so much I bought a CASE for it

and have kept it.

Harmony Central Reviews (Avg. reviews in all areas go from 8.5 to 9.7)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Jay+Turser/JT-200+Pro/10/1

Just my 2 cents...

Looks like a steal. Good for you! BTW, is your dog's last name Bieber by any chance? [laugh]

OMG!!!!! I liked the DOG(Avatar) because of the "Beatles" haircut. you're

right, he could look like a "Bieber". Oh, nooooooooo..... [crying][crying][crying]

I thought you were that guy who posts here from South Dakota. I really didn't look that close.

If I ever lol'd, I might have done it here.

If it weren't for the ridiculous headstocks, I would play Heritage guitars all the time. In fact, I am surprised there is relatively little discussion of these old masters still building guitars in Kalamazoo.

I really miss Guild.

ALL of that said, probably Hamer!

I agree. I almost bought a 2 guitar collectors from them. But the place selling them couldn't come to see eye to eye on the price with me.

Archived