Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Or Nothing?

MrNylon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your serious arent you? [blink]

PRS, and Im going to have to agree with dem00n...Schecter is not really comparable to a Gibson...unless its one of there US custom shop. I've played my fair share of Hellraisers, and for the money I'd rather get a PRS SE Torero...Better quality and its a PRS...Both are made in the far-east as well.

PRS, and Im going to have to agree with dem00n...Schecter is not really comparable to a Gibson...unless its one of there US custom shop. I've played my fair share of Hellraisers, and for the money I'd rather get a PRS SE Torero...Better quality and its a PRS...Both are made in the far-east as well.

Yeah Schecter does make really good guitars, but on par with a Gibson? IMO i dont think so.

I see you watching Duane. [flapper]

Most brands like Ibanez, and even Schector have guitars that equal or exceed Gibson and are far cheaper. Just being honest.

I really, really wanted the Schector Stargazer bass to be good - but the ones I've seen look way worse than most of the made-in-china crap I've ever seen. Sawdust present in the string-thru channels, and leaky-bleedy finish.

There might be a great Schector out there somewhere, but I've never seen it in any form whatsoever.

There are, however, plenty of guitars to be had that do exceed the vaunted (tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek) "Gibson quality".

To the original question: "Gibson or Nothing?" -

That's kind of stupid, IMO.

If you like nothing, then go for it.

Mmmm...well, why couldn't I play Gibson? Are we talking about price here? Because I got my Gibson for a pretty good price, and any other guitar I may feel comfortable playing would probably at least match that price. Here we're talking Fender, PRS imports, Ibanez, Schecter, Dean, Godin, some of the cheaper Gretsch models, and so on.

Yeah, I don't fully understand the question.

I'll make it simple.

Fender... I've personally never tried a PRS and would like to try one, but here in the rural country, you don't run across many different types.

The only music store for 50 miles or so, has a VERY small selection.

And maybe a Gretsch..... msp_biggrin.gif

I feel for you, closest to me is about 45 miles, I find myself traveling pretty far to try out guitars but it is worth it.

Fender.

I have a Schecter thats on par with my SG but only because of the mods I made to it. But Fender is the only one IMO that makes guitars that stand on par with Gibson right off the line (the USA Fenders). I've never played a PRS so I don't know about those. I'd say that Schecter makes better guitars than Epiphone but not as good as Gibsons.

If it weren't for the ridiculous headstocks, I would play Heritage guitars all the time. In fact, I am surprised there is relatively little discussion of these old masters still building guitars in Kalamazoo.

I really miss Guild.

ALL of that said, probably Hamer!

This is a toughy for me. I love the "screaming" factor of Gibsons. I've never played a PRS, but I have a hunch I'd go with that (nothing nearly sounding like the santana model though... uggh [thumbdn] ). I like the EVH Wolfgang, but I really don't want to sport someone's name on a guitar (xept LP, which is more of a brand that his "signature sounding guitar"). This is a personal thing... Maybe I'd do an Ibanez too...

Archived