Gibson Brands Forums

Have you ever had your heart broken?

heymisterk

REPLIES; Wow, us musicians really are a sensitive lot, but we all knew this, didn't we? BIG BILL; I was two and a half, and I remember it like yesterday. It's not so much a sad story as it is a human interest story. I would probably have been better off growing up in Germany. It is a grave error for adoptive parents to expect their kids to be just like them. The genetics don't allow it. For NeoConMan - Wow! Those are truly words of wisdom. We thank you. For LASHURT; Having such hardcore regrets breeds more regrets, sadness and depression, which will slam your health and well being. Please do get more Les Pauls; they don't break hearts,they bring great joy...Peace, joy, and happiness to all of us musicians; we are a special breed, and we deserve it..eusa_pray.gif[thumbup][biggrin] ...

What a good thread.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hardest part, I think is not so much getting over the person - though that is incredibly painful - but going back to the life BEFORE her (or him). You get used to having a very special person in your life and you also get used to devoting - happily - a lot of time to that person. So when that person is gone, life seems empty, both literally and figuratively. Now, having said that, I do have some friends who are married and miserable. And I would rather go to my grave a bachelor than go out like that...

I could write a book about my life. Sexless marriage. Nightmare affairs. Depression. Etc.

When we split up. I signed every thing over to her because of the kids (17 and 15). When it was done she sold the house and sent the kids to live with me.

I don't blame anyone but myself though. I have come to the conclusion that if you're a good person you get s**t on.

Plus. Never trust a woman.

I think personal disappointments in the "love" sorta relationships are what make us normal human beings.

The death of a "love object" is kinda nasty, perhaps more in one's later teens. Been there. What the heck, in the late 50s, early 60s there were a lotta songs about that, too.

Rejection after a certain point, yeah.

I think all of us after a certain age likely wonder, "what if..."

Some of us may have a story that's somewhat more "sad" than others, but each of us copes with the same range of emotions differently.

I've been told that rejection by adult children, or the death of an adult child, is the hardest hearbreak of all.

m

Broken hearts are broken hearts Fred. I feel for ya.

I mean, I spent my whole summer with her... whatever nobody wants to hear it, but yeah I agree, its better it didn't happen. Turned out, she went with this other guy and cheated on him... so yeah.

It sucked at the time, but I got a good song I wrote out of it, so its all good

You get used to having a very special person in your life and you also get used to devoting - happily - a lot of time to that person.

So when that person is gone, life seems empty, both literally and figuratively.

I remember trying to explain to some friends once that I missed my WIFE.

Not so much that particular person, but the fact that I had a wife I trusted completely, and depended on.

Not co-dependent, clingy, I'd die without you dependence, but depending on all the things she did.

She was my partner, handled finances (NEVER again) and wrangled our kids.

She made sure everything was handled while I worked shifts and slayed dragons 7 days a week.

Problems?

Sure we had problems - but only the minor annoyances of busy lives with small children.

Boy was I wrong.

When she was gone I missed having somebody in my life that could finish my sentences and critique my work.

I missed what she had created as an ideal, without even picturing her face.

It really was like losing an arm, crippling for the first several months of a two-year divorce war.

I was SO done with her by the time that was all over - at one point I was paying FIVE lawyers.

Some of these stories have some real nasty women in them mine wasn't like that I had a best friend girlfriend that started in the fifth grade when her parents sent her here from Australia to live with her grandmother and we were always together and true sole mates even at that young age, we both had pretty bad home lifes so we were actually living together while we finished high school and we had mapped our life's out together. About half way through our junior year she was coming home from working a close shift for a retail store and a woman with two young kids fell asleep and ran a red light my girl was in my jeep so it flipped and she was killed instantl in fact everyone in the accident was killed.

It was hard but eventually I did find someone else to love and now Ive been married for 28 yearsto my best friend so love can happen twice at least.

Damn RS, sorry.

But you more than anybody can tell Jeff above that he WILL handle it if it happens.

To me, it was even a matter of pride.

I HAD to make it, and I refused to be a casualty.

I've kept working, slept in my truck and showered at truck stops until I could afford my own place.

My bosses never knew anything until much later.

my old girl finished what we had, i tried to contact her a few years later...

found out she was into theft, drugs etc..... and the man she is with now is recently out of prison and beats her up for no reason [mellow]

not so much 'heart broken' but it plays on my mind alot :unsure:

Some of these stories have some real nasty women in them mine wasn't like that I had a best friend girlfriend that started in the fifth grade when her parents sent her here from Australia to live with her grandmother and we were always together and true sole mates even at that young age, we both had pretty bad home lifes so we were actually living together while we finished high school and we had mapped our life's out together. About half way through our junior year she was coming home from working a close shift for a retail store and a woman with two young kids fell asleep and ran a red light my girl was in my jeep so it flipped and she was killed instantl in fact everyone in the accident was killed.

It was hard but eventually I did find someone else to love and now Ive been married for 28 yearsto my best friend so love can happen twice at least.

Retro, you know me....I make jokes about almost anything and everyting...but your story is horrible, thank GOD you found someone to share your life with.

As I said before... I think if one has not had their heart broken in personal relationships they probably have a serious medical/psychiatric condition.

Musicians by nature, I think, learn how to harden themselves perhaps even a bit more than most other folks, but I think it's just a somewhat hardened outside...

m

Strangely enough, I really don't write good stuff right after a heartbreak. I do PLAY a lot of guitar, but generally, my mind is not on my muse.

I agree with milod...Anyone who has never had their heart broken is not being honest, has not been around the block, or has some other problems that prevent them from loving.

heymrk...

T.S. Eliot, writing as a commentator/critic of poetry, made the point that writing while in midst of emotion brings poor "art;" writing in reflection of the emotion brings good art.

I agree wholeheartedly.

m

heymrk...

T.S. Eliot, writing as a commentator/critic of poetry, made the point that writing while in midst of emotion brings poor "art;" writing in reflection of the emotion brings good art.

I agree wholeheartedly.

m

"wholeheartedly"? You did that on purpose, didn't you, Milo!!

<chortle-smirk>

Me?

... on a more serious side, I'm reminded of two blues songs sung usually in the "I remember how it felt" style: "The thrill is gone" seriously and "How blue can you get" done with a sense of humor.

m

'Nuther plus for Milod.

Yeah, I dunno.

When I'm really beat down I simply don't even pick up a guitar.

I'll putter around, clean and tune all of them - I guess to reassure myself they're still there.

Change the oil in my trucks, motorcycle.

Clean the garage.

Mindless.

Playing the guitar makes me think, and when I screw up a song it pisses me off.

No desire to get even more pissed off.

And I do NOT drink.

Once I get back to normal, I'll plug a Les Paul in and SHAKE the house for an hour or so.

Great therapy.

[thumbup]

What you experienced was rejection, not a broken heart. Broken hearts are usually a result of lost love and commitment.

A broken heart? Yeah, a couple of times (and "thanks" heymisterk, for bringing up this painful topic).

Rejection? Every goddamn day!

I'll have to say yes to this as well.

several were minor heart aches, but they count.

the worst was the night my last ex decided it would be a good idea to bounce my LP of the tile kitchen floor of our Apt.

msp_cursing.gif

hit me, throw things at me, NEVER touch my guitars......msp_sneaky.gif

Thankfully my wife is a vocalist, and understands the madness that we indulge in.msp_thumbup.gif

Archived