Gibson Brands Forums

What guitar would you never part with?

davidl

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am going to reveal myself as an old-school sentimentalist here...

My SG Special Faded. I love it dearly because:

1) My parents helped me pay for it.

2) It always brings the widest of smiles to my face.

3) It is a great guitar.

4) I feel like, more than any other item I have ever owned, it is "mine." I worked hard to get it, and then I've worked my sweat and loving touch into every inch on the neck. When I got rejected from Hamilton College and nearly had a nervous breakdown (ridiculous-but-true story) it cheered me up. When I chipped the headstock the first time, I was nearly in tears over it. I've played it with passion and desperate intensity--no matter how limited a player I am (and I am very limited--trust me) I have given that instrument all of the respect I can possibly give it.

5) I'm without it in college now, and I miss it more than I miss my mother.

6) When I play it, it's a part of me--it's the best part of me: my guitar.

I could part with any of my other instruments (with varying degrees of trepidation, because to an extent they all mean something to me) but I could never let go of my SG.

Call it silly, but that's how I feel.

Nothing silly there.

My old MIJ was always there for me too. Worked my butt off to get it and keep it.

It has brought a smile to my face over and over and will continue to do so.

Not my best quality guitar but a definite keeper.

Dave.

I don't generally have emotional attachments to them. However, as my wife's father asked me on his death bed

to take good care of this Les Paul (and his daughter) I guess I'm stuck with it (and her too) [biggrin]

DSC_0011.jpg

What a burden that has been placed on your shoulders.

You're a good man to hold up your part of the bargain.

Sad but nice story.

Keep her well. Goes for your wife as well of course.

Dave

I'm "sentimentally attached" to 1 of my 14.....First electric I bought brand new.

I bought it new in '88, and played it for 12 yrs.

Gave it to my son when he turned 17, let him take it w/him when he wanted to move in w/his mother to "get to know her" when she got her life straightened out....a month later he was killed in a wreck.....his mother brought the guitar back to me.

Loaned it to his best friend for 6 months so he'd have a "good" guitar for his working band.

Had to have ALL the wiring, 2 pots,the 3 way,and input socket replaced when a 105w tube amp shorted THRU it......nearly electrocuted me when it happened.

after all this, it's STILL in perfect condition except for natural aging/patina.

GarysCam062.jpg

There are two guitars I would never part with. My LP which I bought a couple of years ago and the a 1965 Epiphone Granada that my Dad bought for me. I don't play it much, but my Dad's not around anymore and I have too much sentimental value attached to it.

Kenny V

I've said "I'll never sell this one" about a few of them and those guitars are now long gone...but these four will never see the used market as long as I'm still kickin'.

Pearly Gates, 2008 R8 (which will be getting a full makeover one day), PRS Custom 24 & McCarty.

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

I've said "I'll never sell this one" about a few of them and those guitars are now long gone...but these four will never see the used market as long as I'm still kickin'.

Pearly Gates, 2008 R8 (which will be getting a full makeover one day), PRS Custom 24 & McCarty.

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

IMG_0381.jpg

What would you be doing to it in a full makeover?

The thought of modding any of my Gibsons sends shivers down my spine. What if something goes terribly wrong? Arrrrggghhh.

Dave

Neither of my guitars will ever be sold - my Les Paul, which was my first electric guitar, or my acoustic, which was NOT my first, but feels more comfortable and "mine" than any other I've owned. I like my friend's Taylor, and I drool over Gibsons, but I wouldn't trade for any of them. Somehow, this one got tangled in the sentimental part of my heart. [blush]

What would you be doing to it in a full makeover?

The thought of modding any of my Gibsons sends shivers down my spine. What if something goes terribly wrong? Arrrrggghhh.

Something like a Historic Makeover Package B (info is on their website) with no aging and giving it a finish like guitar 8 7935 under "our results" is what I was thinking.

Nothing will go wrong - they're professionals.

Do you have strap locks on your R0? That's a mod but the thought of that puppy crashing to the ground sends shivers down my spine.

All my guitars have strap locks and a few of them have upgraded pickups/pots/caps. All for the better.

Something like a Historic Makeover Package B (info is on their website) with no aging and giving it a finish like guitar 8 7935 under "our results" is what I was thinking.

Do you have strap locks on your R0? That's a mod but the thought of that puppy crashing to the ground sends shivers down my spine.

All my guitars have strap locks and a few of them have upgraded pickups/pots/caps. All for the better.

I hadn't thought of adding strap locks as a mod But I guess it is. And yes, absolutely have strap locks. I did have the R0 slip off my strap as well as my Robot. Both the same evening on different straps. No damage done. All of my electrics have them now.

Dave

But your going to give that to me cause im the future of metal guitar right? [biggrin]

Riiiiiiiight......no, my burial will be like Egyptian pharaohs. I'm taking it to the after life with me. Should my grave be disturbed and the guitar removed, a curse will be unleashed. A curse of Biblical proportions.

I dunno what'll happen to my guitars and barring accident or fatal illness for younger folks here, I'm likely somewhat closer to the end of my pickin' career than most.

But...

I've always had a degree of inclination to thumb the nose and come up with something of a MacPhearson's Farewell. http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk-songs-with-chords/MacPhersons%20Farewell.htm

"There's some come here to see me hanged,

And some to buy my fiddle,

But before that I do part wi' her

I'll brak her thro' the middle.

"He took the fiddle into both o' his hands

And he broke it o'er a stone.

Says, There's nae ither hand sail play on thee

When I am dead and gone."

m

I checked out the Historic Makeover site.

Not cheap by any means but the work they do is beautiful.

If you do decide to go that route, it would be really nice if you could post some progress pics as well as before and after shots.

In your opinion, what minimum model (I don't know how else to phrase that) would you find worthwhile to have a Historic makeover done?

Dave

Yes, it does seem pricy but it's not something you do everyday and to all your guitars. I figure I'll do it once and see how it goes. I don't think there really is a minimum model. To me, it would seem strange to send anything other than a historic...but if somebody wants to, I don't see why not. I can't picture someone sending a $1,000 Studio for $2,000+ worth of work, though. :rolleyes:

If I do do it, I'll definitely ask for progess pics and knowing my habits I'll definitely be posting them here. [biggrin]

I'm still going to think about it for a while and also decide which place to send my guitar to. HM is one of the better known places but there are certainly others. I'd also prefer to keep it local and don't know of too many places around here I'd trust doing this. Freddy's Frets (deepblue is having his R9 refinished there) is the only local place that comes to mind.

Archived