Gibson Brands Forums

"Beano-burst"

pippy

For anyone who might have missed the 'news' (there's a rather long thread on the subject over at MLP) it would seem that there will soon be a replication, with EC's full endorsement and considerable input, of one of the most important instruments in the history of the Les Paul.

EC has had a great involvement with the project. Where certain details can only be guessed-at - since the original guitar has been missing since '67 - EC has said how he would like it to be built. Obviously as Gibson has not had access to the actual guitar all the fine details have been ironed-out with Mr C. as final judge.

The LP he was playing on the "Later With Jools Holland" show was an early prototype. Although it was 'not quite there yet' EC liked it so much he wanted it to be his!

The Sig. proper should be a cracker.

Start saving now...

P.

That would be very nice.

It took me a while to warm up to the “Artist” models, I like them now.

I hope they can keep it in the money range of a Gary-Moore LP for example.

Gibson needs a better selection less-expensive models real(working) people can afford.

If they make it too fancy, it might as well be a “Historic” reissue?

It sounds like, price-wise, there will be the usual 3 versions;

One regular; one Murphy aged; and one Murphy aged / signed by Clapton.

I suspect even the regular model will be considerably more expensive than a regular re-issue!...why would it not be?

Gibson and everyone else has seen what happened to the price of the Page #1s after they were all snapped-up. I suspect the 'Beano' may be almost as popular.

P.

Sounds interesting. I love my EC Strat, and I absolutely love the Beano album, and Clapton is one of my all time favorite guitarists. But I'd be hard pressed to pick up one of these (haven't read all the details yet) when there are already 3 versions of the R0 available (for substantially less money I presume), one of which should be as historically accurate to that guitar as Gibson has yet produced. And I have to question just how much accuracy (to that particular guitar) Eric can contribute, considering he possessed it for around 2 years only, and has not had it in over 40 years. I'd be far more inclined to go for a current R0 model (actually plan to get one within the next year or two).

BTW, this prototype has pickup covers? IIRC, the pics I see from the Beano era of Eric with a Les Paul all show them uncovered.

I agree that Clapton is just as good on whatever guitar he is playing.

Personally, I do prefer his tone/playing on the "Beano" album & Fresh Cream when he was using that 1960 Les Paul Standard.

Given the price of the Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, etc models, I don't expect to be in the market for one. But I think it's great that Gibson are putting out such a model under EC's guidance, as only EC knows what that famous guitar was really like.

I suppose that guitar must be out there somewhere & the owner mightn't even know what they've got !

From what I have been told , Gibson will set the price point around the Page range. As he has set the bar. These will sell fast because of the impotance of the guitar and the Man who played it. Just like the Page guitars. Remember this will be the first run of Gibsons endorsed by Mr.Clapton. This should be interesting. I want one.

Seems silly to make a Gibson sig model of a guitar that's been AWOL for 40 years for an artist that has barely strummed a Les Paul in the last 3 decades. I thought the whole appeal of an artist model was to own the next best thing to the original, not what Gibson thinks the guitar may have possibly been similar to. And Clapton is supposed to remember what the guitar was like? I had a Stratocaster stolen from a bar 5 years ago, and all I remember is that it was black and had a rosewood board. The rest is anyone's guess. Sorry, I don't buy this one.

I love Clapton, but the guy picked up a Fender years ago and never looked back. Combine that with the fact that the actual guitar in question has not been seen in that time, and you get a not so clever marketing gimmick.

• 3 weeks later...

I do not know about this one. I bought the Randy Rhodes VOS and love it. Even being a bigger Clapton fan I am told this instrument was built with Mr. Clapton working along side Gibson from memory. From Memory??????????????? I can't remember what shoes I wore yesterday.

... I am told this instrument was built with Mr. Clapton working along side Gibson from memory. From Memory??????????????? I can't remember what shoes I wore yesterday.

LOL!

Ah! But can you remember the type of guitar you played yesterday??

That's the more important thing!

P.

LOL!

Ah! But can you remember the type of guitar you played yesterday??

That's the more important thing!

P.

I can.

But I only have one electric.

A BeanoBurst will be very cool, I look forward to them doing a video on the construction like they did for Eric's 335

If you simply must have one, you can..."Buy It Now".

"Approximately US $40,982.84"

GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP ERIC CLAPTON BEANO BURST LES PAUL

LIMITED RUN OF 50 HAND SIGNED BY ERIC CLAPTON

http://cgi.ebay.com/GIBSON-CUSTOM-SHOP-ERIC-CLAPTON-BEANO-BURST-LES-PAUL-/260705657000?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3cb344a0a8#ht_2012wt_802

If link doesn't work, try item number: 260705657000 or MusicGroundInc. E-Bay store link:

http://stores.ebay.com:80/MusicGroundInc/Gibson-/_i.html?_fsub=1930428015&_sid=873398435&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

SPECIFICATIONS (as designated by artist)

2-piece "lightly figured" maple top

1-piece mahogany back

Single-ply cream binding on top

1-piece mahogany neck

Thin 1960 "Eric Clapton" profile

Holly headstock veneer

Rosewood fingerboard

22 frets

Acrylic trapezoid inlays

Single-ply cream binding on neck

24 3/4" scale length, 1" nut width

Vintage style tuners

Tune-o-matic (ABR-1) bridge

Stop bar tailpiece

Custom bucker pickups

Gold tophat knobs w/dial pointers

Antiquity Burst finish

LIMITED EDITION TO 50

50 Aged (by Tom Murphy) & Signed Eric Clapton Engraved wood plaque with May 5,1966 "Beano" comic cover; Engraved leather COA, limited 180mg vinyl of John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton & vintage replica strap

All instruments come with Custom Shop case silkscreened with Eric’s signature.

TERMS All specs are subject to change without notice. Actual color may vary slightly.

Delivery date "December 2010"

Archived