Gibson Brands Forums

GFS Pickups

cjlandry

They're not hand-wound boutique pickups by any means, but they're a good value for the money IMO. I put a set of the Neovin Power Rock in a MIM tele I just traded for another guit, and the guy e-mailed me afterward that he was blown away by them.

I also have a set of Neovins in a custom thinline, but will probably yank them for something better and use them in a cheaper tele. Just me, but for a guit costing more than $500, I'd be inclinded to use USA/UK-made, scatterwound, swappable magnets, cloth wire, etc.

There's just so many good things to choose from these days it's hard to decide: http://www.pickupedia.info/Guitar_pickup_makers

The website looks great. The descriptions are impressive.

What do y'all think of them?

I have several guitars that came with them and they're all great guitars with a rock growl to bring the house down. My guitars that have them are mainly customs and the only info I got about them was that they were GFS pups, no model names. I was planning on pulling them apart and finding out more details soon because I'll be in the market for a few sets in the next month or so, when I do I'll post an appraisal of my findings.

CJ,

I put a set of GFS Mean 90s in one guitar and I thought they sounded pretty good.

Haven't tried the Dream 90s. The wires are a little thin so you do have to be careful when installing them.

As Brian indicated there is a lot to choose from these days. Consequently, there are some pretty good deals out there if you shop around.

Willy

-I put the Mean 90 in the neck of my Classic and I love it. I just got done playing my guitar again and the Mean 90 is still impressing me. Is it as good as a boutique, handwound p'up? I'd have to say no. You can't compare GFS to Lollar, Bare Knuckles, Fralin, etc... Come on, it's a low cost import p'up. But I do like this just as much as the DiMarzio Virtual PAF I had in the same spot and a few Duncans that I've played through before. So if it's on par with DiMarzio and Duncan, then I'm pretty happy. Especially since it was only $42 including shipping. Give them a try. If you don't like them that much, turn them over on eBay and use the cash to look for something that you will. Here's my baby. What can I say? I'm a proud papa...

S6300981.jpg

L8R,

Matt

+1 on the Mean 90

I originally put them in both the bridge and neck positions in my Dot Studio and was blown away by how good they sounded. I eventually swapped the bridge one out for a Gibson Classic 57 as I wanted the extar range of tones the combination offered.

Converesly I found the Vinatge 59's to be no better than the stock Epi pups.

I've not tried any of their P-90s or humbucker sized P90s. Personally I don't like P-90s. But I have tried a few of their other pups. No, they aren't boutique, but they are descent pups for the price. I like the Vintage 59s the best of the ones I have tired, and they are definitely an upgrade from the stock pups in a lot of Epis IMHO.

Not pleased at all with the Crunchy PAT set I ordered a few weeks back. They're being sent back for Phat cats.

The Epiphone pickups blow away the Crunchy PAT.

I have to disagree with this general statement of yours.

The stock pups in my '97 Korean made LP sounded like crap. And I say this having 3 other Epiphones that have the stock pups in them. I like the stock pups in those. I got some crunchy PATS put in my LP and I think they sound very good. Much better than the POS stock pups.

So to say that all Epiphone pups "blow away the crunchy PATs" is just not true IMO.

It depends on many factors. All Epi pups are not the same. It depends on the year, the factory, how you install them, etc..

Plus, how a pups sounds is very subjective. What you hear is not what everyone else hears.

Well, for the price, I think they're worth a try. I also think the Kent Armstrongs are worth a try.

Until now, I didn't know anything other than Dimarzio and SD were available.

Yeah, kinda dumb, I know, but I haven't left the mainstream.

I have to disagree with this general statement of yours.

The stock pups in my '97 Korean made LP sounded like crap. And I say this having 3 other Epiphones that have the stock pups in them. I like the stock pups in those. I got some crunchy PATS put in my LP and I think they sound very good. Much better than the POS stock pups.

So to say that all Epiphone pups "blow away the crunchy PATs" is just not true IMO.

It depends on many factors. All Epi pups are not the same. It depends on the year, the factory, how you install them, etc..

Plus, how a pups sounds is very subjective. What you hear is not what everyone else hears.

The stock Epiphone pickups in that SG were the best set I ever got from Epiphone.

I almost thought someone had made a mistake!

To replace them and want them back in there surprised me to no end, so

I'm going to take some time to readjust the PATS and see what I can do to work it all out.

-I put the Mean 90 in the neck of my Classic and I love it. I just got done playing my guitar again and the Mean 90 is still impressing me. Is it as good as a boutique, handwound p'up? I'd have to say no. You can't compare GFS to Lollar, Bare Knuckles, Fralin, etc... Come on, it's a low cost import p'up. But I do like this just as much as the DiMarzio Virtual PAF I had in the same spot and a few Duncans that I've played through before. So if it's on par with DiMarzio and Duncan, then I'm pretty happy. Especially since it was only $42 including shipping. Give them a try. If you don't like them that much, turn them over on eBay and use the cash to look for something that you will. Here's my baby. What can I say? I'm a proud papa...

S6300981.jpg

L8R,

Matt

That's a beautiful guitar. Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks for posting those pics. [cool]

Archived