Gibson Brands Forums

Do open tunings hurt your guitar?

heymisterk

Uh... no.

No worries - except for the case of a acoustic guitar with some bracing issues perhaps. Also, open G is a slack key tuning. Your middle three strings stay the same and, since you drop the A to G and both E strings to D, you are essentially lowering your string tension. Open E will increase your neck tension as you are raising the A,D, and G strings, but again you no worries with a Tele or Paul or any electric in decent structural condition. An alternative, btw, is Open D (same as E but one step lower and thus reduced instead of increased string tension).

Uh... no.

No worries - except for the case of a acoustic guitar with some bracing issues perhaps. Also, open G is a slack key tuning. Your middle three strings stay the same and, since you drop the A to G and both E strings to D, you are essentially lowering your string tension. Open E will increase your neck tension as you are raising the A,D, and G strings, but again you no worries with a Tele or Paul or any electric in decent structural condition. An alternative, btw, is Open D (same as E but one step lower and thus reduced instead of increased string tension).

That makes sense. When I do an open G, I often tune the low E up to a G instead of down to a D, but I guess that wouldn't matter much. Thanks, Surfpup.

That makes sense. When I do an open G, I often tune the low E up to a G instead of down to a D, but I guess that wouldn't matter much. Thanks, Surfpup.

Enjoy... Lotsa fun to be had in open tunings and break out the slide while you're at it.

I play everything in standard.

Everything.

I'm useless....

Same here.

If I get really adventurous I'll drop half a step to E flat to pick out songs in that key on my stereo.

Or I'll drop the low E to D for some stuff, that's it for me.

Mr. K, if you're gonna stay in G you might think about a smaller gauge string for the ones tuned up.

Take some of the additional stress off the tuning key, limit string breakage.

I mean, that's going far beyond what most would bother with.

If the guitar won't stay tuned that way all the time, just keep doing what yer doing.

I've heard this lots of times, especially open G and open E since those increase the string tension.

Is there some truth to this? I mean, now that I have my Tele, I want to do some open G stuff, and I learned that "Gimme Shelter" is open E.

Thoughts?

Heymisterk; in general, it's safe; I keep 12 guitars in open tunings at all times year round. Some are custom hybrid tunings. One is always in the Keef tuning; no low E string / then GDGBD.

Keith has other tunings as well...Gimme Shelter is EBEG#BE for the studio version. He often plays it in standard tuning live. Try to fingerpick the intro.

Gimme Shelter is a Stones song that I never could stand.

The lyrics, the chick backup singers, the length of the song - not much guitar to enjoy.

Then I heard a blues guy I knew in Texas whip that one out in the final set of his show.

Hardly anybody there, so he decided to try it.

I would never believe it if I hadn't heard it myself - only a 3 piece band.

Gave me a whole new perspective on that song. [thumbup]

Heymisterk; in general, it's safe; I keep 12 guitars in open tunings at all times year round. Some are custom hybrid tunings. One is always in the Keef tuning; no low E string / then GDGBD.

Keith has other tunings as well...Gimme Shelter is EBEG#BE for the studio version. He often plays it in standard tuning live. Try to fingerpick the intro.

I had read that he takes a string off. Thanks for the tips. I know "The Rain Song" is a 12-string tuned to G.

Neo, thanks too. I might just try lighter gauge strings, or I might not: Usually, I play in an open tuning for a couple of days, then I move on.

Movin On by Bad Company is in open C according to Mick Ralphs. I don't here a low C so am I to assume he tuned up to a C? yikes!

Mick liked his open and semi open tunings...good understated guitarist.

I had read that he takes a string off. Thanks for the tips. I know "The Rain Song" is a 12-string tuned to G.

Neo, thanks too. I might just try lighter gauge strings, or I might not: Usually, I play in an open tuning for a couple of days, then I move on.

Yeah a lot of times keith Doesn't have the low e string on his tele. I like to play songs in the tunings that they were recorded in. I hate it when artist try to wing something they wrote in a different tuning using a standard tuned guitar. Rain Song being one of them. Don't like JP's live version it just loses something.

Archived