Gibson Brands Forums

Because I liked it

Shnate McDuanus

I know Led Zeppelin is a heavily-debated topic on here. Some of you love them and some of you hate them.

Let's get all the predictable nastiness and tired old rhetoric out of the way:

-I know, I know, they were "thieving b*stards."

-I know, Jimmy Page's playing "sucked" because he was sloppy and because of his drug habits

-I know, they heavily edit these videos to improve the sound

-I know, Robert Plant's voice is a little "shrill"

I don't care about any of the above. I care about all of the below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm3zUQjG5no

It brought me back and made me feel great. [thumbup]

-I know, I know, they were "thieving b*stards."

-I know, Jimmy Page's playing "sucked" because he was sloppy and because of his drug habits

-I know, they heavily edit these videos to improve the sound

-I know, Robert Plant's voice is a little "shrill"

so basically yes I agree with the above and still stand by my previous statement that they are not the "gods" that people think they are

msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gif

Oh and you forgot to mention Plant's obsession with hobbitsdry.gif

The old adage 'Xmillion people can't be wrong' applies here IMHO

I recently completed my collection of their studio albums and found some real gems showing the true eclectic nature of the band

Largely ignored acoustic numbers and some great humour under all the melodrama

To me J P Jones was the unsung hero...bringing in classical and keyboard influences to add variety to the catalogue

Page and Jones being seasoned session players and arrangers

Did No Harm At All [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Coincidentally I just bought both "The Song Remains The Same" and "It Might Get Loud" on DVD last week.

I remember going along to the local cinema in my small-time hometown when T.S.R.T.S. came out in '76 and it blew me away.

Watching it again really did remind me just how powerful a musical force L-Z were when they were at their best.

And to expand on a point Versatile has raised; how many bands in the decades since have been as capable of mixing such an eclectic blend of musical genres whilst still playing in their own style and with such success?

If we consider 'Four Symbols' we have styles such as English Folk (The Battle of Evermore); Heavy Mississippi Blues (When the Levee Breaks); Classic Rock (Black Dog); Acoustic Folk-ballad (Going to California); Rock'n'Roll (ermmm...Rock and Roll) plus, of course, 'Stairway'...

From this distance it's difficult for those who were too young at the time to realise just how much of an impact - particularly on players - 'Physical Graffiti' made when it was released.

Great band.

P.

I can't put into words how much I love Zeppelin. I still get the chills listening to them every now and then. Even with a fair collection of honest bootlegs, I still love the live stuff up until '75. For me, they as good as it gets.

I've never rated Page. But after watching the 'might be loud' dvd. He's gone up in my estimation. He made 'Edge' look like an amateur.

On another Page point. He's supposidly got thousands of guitars. Are there any records of them?

When are Les Pauls guitars coming out? I'd love to see what he'd got tucked away.

The ultimate rock band to have ever walked the earth to me! Each album a radical departure from the last, amazing showmanship, not afraid to just 'go for it live', a huge range of styles and influences in their music, Page was and is, just the most incredibly versatile musician and the epitomy of cool. Plant's voice could go from a calming whisper to a full air raid siren wail!!!

Quite simply put; there will never be another Led Zeppelin msp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gifmsp_thumbup.gif

On another Page point. He's supposidly got thousands of guitars. Are there any records of them?

I saw an interview a few years ago, I think the reference was to Clapton auctioning guitars off.

He said he's never sold his guitars, he still has them all (except a few that were stolen).

He didn't intimate that he had a LARGE collection, just that he valued what he used in the past and hung on to them.

So if you like it.... it should be done twice, right?

One of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTuzVZsKAhY

Celtic rhythms and melodies FTW!

Oh.... and since it was right there on the same page.... a lil sumpm sumpm for the blues crowd:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJsz_xaz7Zo&feature=related

Doesn't suck in my book!

So if you like it.... it should be done twice, right?

True! And two more excellent songs! I woulda given you a plus but I plum ran out.

Any way...

Some fantastic mandolin playing by John Paul Jones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luDgb5vVHuA

I remember this one really impressing me massively when I was younger, and it still does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYpydtdlWxA

so basically yes I agree with the above and still stand by my previous statement that they are not the "gods" that people think they are

msp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gifmsp_thumbdn.gif

Oh and you forgot to mention Plant's obsession with hobbitsdry.gif

Some hobbits are hard to break.

Archived