Gibson Brands Forums

Under Appreciated Bands

Tman5293

Bluseman, Michael Burks. IMO, this guy ought to be playing much larger venues (actually, he does, yet I still get to see him at my favorite local blues club that seats only 200).

The guy has all the makings of a true Blues Legend.

Just learning the first one, fun to play...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with Californiaman on The Cult. [thumbup]

Great band - saw 'em live several times.

They had a fervent following and did a live show that their albums couldn't touch.

Astbury is a great singer, great stage presence.

Duffy is probably one of my favorite guitarists.

Shoulda been bigger than they were.

Really?

I can say that in Houston (they WERE big) and Phoenix they have been relegated to occasional appearances on "classic" rock radio.

Considering my first impression of them from "Sanctuary" as a dance/pop band it was quite a feat for me to embrace them.

The hollow bodies in the videos and real drums in the sound made me look twice.

Now bare with me on this :) as I know they were (and are still) huge, but as serious song writers who are regarded in the same way as a band such as The Beatles etc, I would have to say Queen are over looked for their catalogue of great songs. People acknowledge them for Freddie's charisma or Brian May's great playing or their legendary live shows but I feel their songs are maybe taken for granted?

When you think of most bands, there are a handful of songs (if you are lucky) that define them. Queen have song after song after song that are so finely sculptured! One of the greatest song writing band out there!

Matt

Cage the Elephant

too many others to list, but I'm listening to them now

Agreed, saw them in Dallas (well, Grand Prairie) and they absolutely killed it. I wouldn't call them under appreciated yet, I think they will blow up once their new album gets some airtime.

With so much self-releases these days, many great artists are under-heard.....Under appreciated bands ( bigger ) could include The Tragically Hip.

Nice...i can tell you that they are far over-appreciated here in Ontario...lol! They had a few great albums but anything past Fully Completely has been [thumbdn] for me.

Canadians love em though!!

Nice...i can tell you that they are far over-appreciated here in Ontario...lol! They had a few great albums but anything past Fully Completely has been [thumbdn] for me.

Canadians love em though!!

I hear them quite a bit on 102.1 The Edge, yes a Kansan is listening to a Canadian rock station. They play some pretty good tunes! Plus the 90's nooner with Josie Dye [wub]

josie_header_545x140_v2.jpg

Spirit was a great call, as was the 13th Floor Elevators. I think the Faces have largely been forgotten, which is a shame. They were a great live band and made some really good records. These days, I don't think the Drive-By Truckers are getting their due. Great bunch of musicians and really good songwriters.

This might be sacrelidge on a mostly guitar oriented forum, but I'm gonna go with Morphine. Very little guitar work, but mostly bass and sax driven - they produced some absolutely brilliant music.

Also, Saxon? The "Denim and Leather", 1980's Saxon? Just curious because it didnt seem to fit with the rest of the songs listed. Kind of an oddball.

And there is Mark Sandman's first band, Treat Her Right......( right before Morphine ). Both great bands. RIP Sandman.

Archived