Gibson Brands Forums

Good voices, sexy voices, powerful voices, unique voices...

NeoConMan

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a lovely song. My wife sings it a lot (Who Knows Where The Time Goes) I know it is bias, because I love her, but here is my wife who definitely fits into the title of this threadxx

Matt, that was wonderful! I can see where she would excel singing Sandy Denny songs... :) any recordings of her singing "For Shame of Doing Wrong"? she would likely nail it... :)

I hear a hint of Annie Haslam in her voice as well...

thanks for sharing!

Don

Matt, that was wonderful! I can see where she would excel singing Sandy Denny songs... :) any recordings of her singing "For Shame of Doing Wrong"? she would likely nail it... :)

I hear a hint of Annie Haslam in her voice as well...

thanks for sharing!

Don

he he. She is annoyed at me and I think pleased too that you and Milod enjoyed it. Only women can be annoyed and pleased at the same bloody time...we just can't multitask like that LMAO!! msp_biggrin.gif

No I don't think she sings that one? She loves lots of old Irish songs and celtic music in general, as well as singing songs by the English composer Dowland.

cheers Don and nice to meet you

Matt

he he. She is annoyed at me and I think pleased too that you and Milod enjoyed it. Only women can be annoyed and pleased at the same bloody time...we just can't multitask like that LMAO!! msp_biggrin.gif

No I don't think she sings that one? She loves lots of old Irish songs and celtic music in general, as well as singing songs by the English composer Dowland.

cheers Don and nice to meet you

Matt

Love Dowland....would you care to post some?

V :-({|=

Ozzy

Ann Wilson

Phil Lynnot

Albert King

Maynard James Keenan

Claudio Sanchez

Wow this one is tough, there is an unbelieveable amount of talent out there.. Past and Present

Frank Zappa

Claudio Sanchez is a great one...and has been a great voice for me to listen too..

Eva Cassidy! She had a Great voice!

And (love her, or hate her), Celine Dion does, too.

CB

I agree with both...I find Celine a bit 'cold' to watch, but she deserves her success...being totally professional, hard working and putting on a great show.

V

:-({|=

Thankyou Matt...that's a superb rendition...it ups the ante on this forum too <_<

V

:-({|=

cheers V, I will pass this onto my Mrs! xxxxxx (that was from her but being channeled through me LMAO)

I have thought about this a lot, but in the days of Dowland, I don't believe there were trained voices like there are today and hense the music was most likely sung like a folk song. My wife initially was a bit intimidated singing this kind of music, because many of the cds that are out there, are of singers that have very 'worbally' voices singing the music as if it were a piece from an Opera. Again I know I am biased (LOL) but I prefer a voice with not too much vibrato singing this kind of music.

Matt

Matt...

As far as I can tell, too, you're absolutely right on with a more "folk" sort of rendition of music in Dowland's era. Even in the 1860s at least through 1880 as far as I can tell a lotta material was done more "straight" as opposed to an operatic sort of thing.

The unfortunate thing to me is that when we began to have recordings, a lot of the initial vocal stuff was of operatic singers. I think that in itself perhaps helped to brings more popular styles more into that sort of thing in that era.

Guitar content: As I understand it, the older recordings may also have helped bring on the high quality archtop guitars because their sound recorded better than a lot of flat tops. Ditto later with early commercial radio.

m

I few more from my '80's days:

Ian Astbury (The Cult)

Phil Lewis (LA Guns)

Marq Torien (Bulletboys)Took a leak next to him in a bar once.

Pretty proud of that little fact, err, BIG fact, sorry Marq.

...and for good measure...

Reverend Horton Heat (aka Jim Heath)

Theres been too many voices over the years that have inspired or just made me think wow.. sometime from people who are better performes or story tellers than singers..If i were to name a few they would be

Christy Moore

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash

Alison Krauss

Jenny Lewis

Amy Macdonald

Alice Cooper

Bruce Dickinson

Buddy Holly

Colin James

The list is in no particular order but they are all unique voices in my opinion.

Archived