Gibson Brands Forums

New Dot

Trewblue

Looks great! Congratulations! I love my Dot and I'm sure you'll love yours too.

Mines Cherry, but I love those naturals too.

I like that pic with the bricks next too it.

Just make sure you don't keep it that close to the fireplace when you're burning a fire. [unsure]

Congrats on the new Dot. I still haven't bought one and I keep looking at the pictures, trying to decide on a color. I guess I prefer the black or the sunburst, but there's a natural like yours at the local GC. Maybe I need to go play it tomorrow. That natural finish is growing on me.

How much of a chore is it to change the pots or switch on the Dot? Does everything come out through the F hole and is there enough slack wire to do

it comfortably. I'd like to replace the switch with a switchcraft. The stock one can get a little flaky.

TNX

Dan

How much of a chore is it to change the pots or switch on the Dot? Does everything come out through the F hole and is there enough slack wire to do

Yes, everything comes out through the f-hole.

Yes, it's a bit of a chore, one of those things where it matters less how well you solder, but more how patient you are.

I have very large hands, so I would farm out the rewiring of anything that didn't have a removable plate or a pickguard. Trying to get my hands inside the f-holes to hold a pot or switch while I snaked the post up through the hole in the guitar top would be like trying to hold corks under water as far as I'm concerned. I do know a decent tech who could do it, not that he likes it either.

How much of a chore is it to change the pots or switch on the Dot?

Dan,

This thread might interest you:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/57966-dot-studio-tone-pot-and-ground-problem/

EpiEric was having a ground issue but a lot of information was exchanged about replacing "stuff"

Start around reply #5 and read to end. (reply #18)

There is also a lot of good information in the DIY thread at the top of the Epiphone Lounge.

Willy

congrats on the new dot. i have one like that graet guitar never had a problem with pots or switches. you should be able to get everything out the f hole easy enugh .putting it back in is another story. w i do is get a lenght of wire or solder. the soer works better feed it through the hole then wrap around the part your putting back. then just pull it into place . do this gently as the wire or solder could come off . in which case you do it again. ive done a few holow body f hole guitars and this always works. as mentioned above paitence is the most important tool [thumbup]

I finally got up off my butt and ordered my Dot this morning... brown sunburst... (old habits die hard and I'm overly influenced by L5Larry)

I'm sure I'll like it, but in the back of my mind, I have this idea about adding a Varitone circuit on top of some 57 Classics.

Does anyone know if the standard pickups are 4 wire, in which case I can try them with the Varitone circuit and decide later whether to buy the Gibson pickups?

NGD soon at my house...

I finally got up off my butt and ordered my Dot this morning... brown sunburst... (old habits die hard and I'm overly influenced by L5Larry)

I'm sure I'll like it, but in the back of my mind, I have this idea about adding a Varitone circuit on top of some 57 Classics.

Does anyone know if the standard pickups are 4 wire, in which case I can try them with the Varitone circuit and decide later whether to buy the Gibson pickups?

NGD soon at my house...

my dot had two wires.

i believe there 2 wire youll have to split them internally .

For the instructions we have, I'd probably just wait to get the new pickups. Who knows... if I like it as is, it might not get anything changed except the strings.

Anyway, the shipping notice came by email this morning, the one you can't track because it's not in the system yet. I figure by tomorrow morning, I'll know when it's going to arrive.

the only thing i did was put a trapeze tailpiece change the plastic pickup rings for steel chromed ones and get rid of the orange knobs for gold tophats never messed with the pickups or controls as its a sweet sounding guitar as is. i did pick up a dot studio the other day for a project im doing the neck has a whole different feel . its on the table right now finish stripped and im removing the cheap plastic binding to put on wood binding i bought. its gonna be a long project im adding variax electronics roland pickup for a gr 30 and graph tech hespander and acoustisonic electronics i plan to split my pickups to get either humbucker or single coil sound. its a good winter project for me. anyhow i wouldnt change a thing on your dot accept for them damn orange knobs black tophats would go good with the pickguard and pickup rings

HNGD. I like the natural color on semi-hollow and hollow bodies. My friend has a Dot just like that. I'm thinking of getting a vintage sunburst Dot next month, but I can't decide on a flame or plain top. For some reason they are the same price and the flame top one comes with a free case. [confused]

HNGD. I like the natural color on semi-hollow and hollow bodies. My friend has a Dot just like that. I'm thinking of getting a vintage sunburst Dot next month, but I can't decide on a flame or plain top. For some reason they are the same price and the flame top one comes with a free case. [confused]

I just ordered the burst in the plain top. The example of the flame top I saw just seemed odd to me. It seemed a bit too dressed up and to be honest, I don't like gold hardware. On the plain burst with chrome pickup covers, I even think the gold knobs seem odd. I'll probably change them for black top hats sooner or later.

For the sake of being "Gibson Correct"... Does anyone change the tuners for the snot green models or bother to change the pickguard to the less curvy Gibson shape?

I just ordered the burst in the plain top. The example of the flame top I saw just seemed odd to me. It seemed a bit too dressed up and to be honest, I don't like gold hardware. On the plain burst with chrome pickup covers, I even think the gold knobs seem odd. I'll probably change them for black top hats sooner or later.

For the sake of being "Gibson Correct"... Does anyone change the tuners for the snot green models or bother to change the pickguard to the less curvy Gibson shape?

I couldn't agree more about the knobs. Black top hats look so much better than the gold ones on these guitars. I think gold hardware looks good on some guitars, like the Sheraton for example (and also my SG [biggrin]) .

Archived