Gibson Brands Forums

How on earth do you play sad songs...

Gilliangirl

As usual, I'm wandering around YouTube tonight and found this one by Johnny Reid, who is a Canadian guy, playing a great guitar. The song is about a dog he loved who died. I'm practically sobbing while he's describing this before the song, then when he starts singing I got worse LOL

I don't understand how people can play, and even more, sing, sad songs without breaking up?? I cannot do it. Here's the video if you're interested......

I'm going to have to watch some old Seinfeld clips now just to cheer myself up [biggrin]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, when I write sad songs, I usually dedicate it to somebody. this helps me do it for them. and I know

they would hate to see me sad or crying. and LOL like danner said, you sometimes get used to singing it

you get over the sadness ( [crying] ---> :mellow: )

As usual, I'm wandering around YouTube tonight and found this one by Johnny Reid, who is a Canadian guy, playing a great guitar. The song is about a dog he loved who died. I'm practically sobbing while he's describing this before the song, then when he starts singing I got worse LOL

I don't understand how people can play, and even more, sing, sad songs without breaking up?? I cannot do it. Here's the video if you're interested......

I'm going to have to watch some old Seinfeld clips now just to cheer myself up [biggrin]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tzfs5ocRX68

Very sweet...

I think the song is the other side of the tears...can't have one w/o the other. It's a sad song in one way, but he sounds happy singing about the reunion. Makes sense he'd get more choked up trying to tell the hard story but can keep it together singing the sweet part.

'course, I never met a "sad" song I didn't like. Sappy songs-blech; but genuine good ol' fashion sad songs are my favs.

Only song I can't touch is Belafonte and co.'s "Turn Around." Tried it, but can't make it through. 'Where are you going, my little one...little one..." :-({|=

(Great!! Now I have to scrounge up some Seinfeld!!)

Very sweet...

I think the song is the other side of the tears...can't have one w/o the other. It's a sad song in one way, but he sounds happy singing about the reunion. Makes sense he'd get more choked up trying to tell the hard story but can keep it together singing the sweet part.

'course, I never met a "sad" song I didn't like. Sappy songs-blech; but genuine good ol' fashion sad songs are my favs.

Only song I can't touch is Belafonte and co.'s "Turn Around." Tried it, but can't make it through. 'Where are you going, my little one...little one..." :-({|=

(Great!! Now I have to scrounge up some Seinfeld!!)

Turn Around has the same effect on me too! That one is so heartfelt [crying]

Indeed. When I was learning Chet Atkins "I Still Can't Say Goodbye", it took a long time to become numb.

For some reason, when he gets to the part about the hat at the Salvation Army, that's when it gets to me. Chet got through it okay but, yeah, he's probably performed it a kazillion times.

Great Song. Sadly, reminded me of my own 16 year old Doberman who I raised

from a puppy, she just died a month ago. Dobies usually live 9 years or so.

She used to come to me , tail wagging madly, and put her head between my knees

so I could pet her.

One morning, she was fine. By afternoon, she came around the corner of the house

in the yard, and could barely walk, stumbling from side to side. She put her head

between my knees and just collapsed. I picked her up in my arms, carried her to the

shade and lay down beside her, with her head in my arms.

I told her that she had been a GOOD Dog, and it was OK to go, and petted and stroked her.

after 10 minutes, she died. She onto life long enough to come to me, and touch me before collapsing.

I covered her in a blanket, put in some of her toys, and buried her next to a large tree in the back.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........ [crying][crying][crying]

How do you play a happy song? You just have to pour that emotion into whatever song you are playing and it will sound better. If you honestly start to break down crying you might be a little to close to the sorrow to play the song for a little while. You have to try and remove your self from it enough that you're not weeping but not so much that you lose that urge to cry from playing ti because that is what makes the song beautiful. Kind of like when you try not to cry in a public place or when you are out of tears.

Not to step out of line, keep in mind you are several years my senior in the guitar world and very probably have quite a bit more experience with not only sad songs but songs in general.

I am working on a song that I cry when I sing it occasionally ....at least when I am alone. I hope I continue feeling that much emotion when I do that song. Better genuine emotion than faking it.

As far as Clapton.... I think he may have permanently numbed all his emotions some time in the late 70's or 80's. He couldn't have done all those drugs and booze with out permanent emotional damage.

animalfarm.....I just about cried reading your post.... [blush] a good dog like that is absolute true loyalty and devotion unparalleled anywhere in the world!

As far as Clapton.... I think he may have permanently numbed all his emotions some time in the late 70's or 80's. He couldn't have done all those drugs and booze with out permanent emotional damage.

Touchy area there - just doin' an 'ordinary' rock-tour might out-numb you for a month or 2. . . .

You play it again and again until you are so sick of it you have become numb.

I kind of agree with Danner, but I'd probably would've used a more sypmathetic combination of words to express the thought. B)

Like with a eulogy (with which, unfortunately, I've had my share of experience), the more you practice it, the easier it is to get through when the time comes to deliver it.

Just think about baseball.....(oh wait... that's for something else....)

Songs mean different things to different people. Because of my love for Dogs, I'll cry like a baby when my old Pug dies, (he's 15-1/2 now), but I didn't cry when my mother or father died.

I can't read a story about people in airports cheering uniformed soldiers returning from overseas without tearing up...but it may have to do with my own reception when I came home from 'Nam.

I play only one really sad song...."I'm so lonesome I could cry", old Hank Williams song, but it is just about a PERFECT song, tells a little story, you can feel the introspection of the Cowboy out there on the plains all alone, just a great song......I don't feel sad when I sing it, it is kind of like a cowboy blues song, and blues is just about life, not sadness.....life contains sadness and happiness.....just life......no problem singing about life....

I play only one really sad song...."I'm so lonesome I could cry", old Hank Williams song, but it is just about a PERFECT song, tells a little story, you can feel the introspection of the Cowboy out there on the plains all alone, just a great song......I don't feel sad when I sing it, it is kind of like a cowboy blues song, and blues is just about life, not sadness.....life contains sadness and happiness.....just life......no problem singing about life....

I like this one of Hank's, too--"I Told a Lie to My Heart." Never even heard of it until about a year ago. (Here, Willie added himself to Hank's recording, I believe.)

Great Song. Sadly, reminded me of my own 16 year old Doberman who I raised

from a puppy, she just died a month ago. Dobies usually live 9 years or so.

She used to come to me , tail wagging madly, and put her head between my knees

so I could pet her.

One morning, she was fine. By afternoon, she came around the corner of the house

in the yard, and could barely walk, stumbling from side to side. She put her head

between my knees and just collapsed. I picked her up in my arms, carried her to the

shade and lay down beside her, with her head in my arms.

I told her that she had been a GOOD Dog, and it was OK to go, and petted and stroked her.

after 10 minutes, she died. She onto life long enough to come to me, and touch me before collapsing.

I covered her in a blanket, put in some of her toys, and buried her next to a large tree in the back.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAA........ [crying][crying][crying]

[crying]

That's so sad, AF. But what a wonderful relationship you had for all those years. I just lost my 18 year old cat Mini on September 12. I still miss her and will for a long long time.

..... keep in mind you are several years my senior in the guitar world and very probably have quite a bit more experience with not only sad songs but songs in general.

I'm not sure I have much more guitar/song experience, but yeah, the longer you're on the planet, the more sad experiences you will have, typically. I've seen my share, that's for sure. [crying]

Songs about breakups don't usually make me sad, but songs about death, human and/or animal, absolutely slay me. The House That Built Me.... 'I bet you didn't know that under that live oak my favourite dog is buried in the yard' [crying] or I Will Follow You Into The Dark [crying] or Memory from Cats, about an aging cat that dies and goes to the Heaviside layer [crying]

Oh dear! SEINFELD!!

Archived