Gibson Brands Forums

The way forward -

E-minor7

Part of the 'deleted thread' dilemna is that sometimes a thread can go waaay bad and I nuke it. All it takes is an hour to go by since your last visit... all you see is that the thread is gone and you are left wondering why. Maybe you didn't see the reason but think about it. Someone starts a thread about Obama shooting at Charlton Heston's grave with a gun that was stolen from Barney Frank while he was off at a wedding in Vermont.... think that thread is going to stay up long?

Maybe there's a much better way of handling that situation but consider this: a thread gets vile, threatening, obscene, whatever, and I send it to Area 51. Most times it 'goes away' and doesn't get rehashed in a new thread (exceptions apply of course). If I made it a point to publicly declare why I stepped in, it might come off as a power trip, and it would also open the proverbial door for it to get rehashed. My great grandmother said 'the more you stir an old turd the worse it stinks'.

As to deleting or making an individual post invisible, c'mon now. Someone calls someone else a c*** s****** on the forum and their post disappears, do ya really think they need a courtesy PM? I would hope they could put 2 and 2 together.

I want to thank bkharmony for bring up this very important issue. It sounds like he is not alone and he has given the forum an opportunity to assess the situation. This is not an unusual situation in organizations. I think we should be able to come up with some ideas that will accommodate the needs of most everyone involved, if we put our minds to it. I have thought of a few suggestions as a starting point.

1. Could the forum have an index of posted thread according to categories? This would facilitate those who are asking common and simple questions and those who are seeking more involved questions. The threads may be listed in several different categories.

2. It would be beneficial if those with more knowledge and experience would generate more technical thread for others of like mind to link into.

3. Sometimes a different approach to answering a question would help. For example, I confess that I asked of those string questions. That wall of string at the guitar shop is ominous. My desired answer was not what strings someone uses but why they use those string and which brands are less, or more bright sounding. Even in the simple and naive questions try and keep the answers technical and to the point. I did receive some good information on my question.

4. Would it be possible for someone on the Gibson knowledgeable staff to post an interesting and, or informative thread.

5. Concerning the video clips, if the thread started out with a video clip maybe it could have a video symbol placed on the table of context.

6. Lastly, we all need a call to patience. On this forum bkharmony learned about bone saddles and nuts. That is a pretty simple concept, but very beneficial. We need both the knowledgeable & experience as well as the novice and newbies to survive.

The forum is way tighter than when I joined.

The good: Much more general courtesy that I've seen, and frankly it seems as if there is more "sorta related" guitar stuff.

The not-so-good: I'm perfectly capable of cussin like a muleskinner or bullwhacker, or even to be a bit more creative, but I keep that to more private venues. I don't care to see crudity on a forum.

The problematic: The old forum software allowed a video link without taking up the additional bandwidth for a full graphical representation of a video. I have mixed emotions on that. The good side is that you have a better idea what is there to play on your own computer, the not-so-good is that it can really slow things down on occasion.

The exceptionally good: I've "met" some folks here I'd really like to meet and/or jam with. I may never be able to do so, but there are some fine people here.

Still: I agree with KSdaddy that sometimes a thread can go bad very quickly. I guess my concern is that when something you've been following hasn't seemed horrid, then it disappears, it can be frustrating. I entirely understand the reasoning why not to remark on it, but it's still frustrating.

Off topic: I hope the weather ain't as bone-chilling and mitigating against a comfortable New Year Eve as it is around here. Sheesh.

m

You guys are asking for too much from a bunch of guys at the Internet.

This is sad.

Oh come now dem00n, it doesn't hurt to ask [biggrin] .... I'm sure you have shot for Mars with your parents, and ended up somewhere on the m00n [laugh] .... We all start out asking for more [thumbup]

Personally... I think courtesy never is too much to ask.

I almost wrote "common courtesy," but sometimes I think courtesy is an increasingly uncommon virtue.

Of course, I'm a grouchy older guy, so... I guess grouchy older guys have been saying the same thing for at least a cupla thousand years.

m

Last day of the year 10. What a finale. Not only G-girls picks went to the washing machine, everyone took a spin. We could call it a 'one decade to another catharsis' or just a sober 'raise your voice and speak out loud'. And the Forum sure did. Guess everyone cleared their mind for some moments of overall consideration - Things happened. Small changes were born and windows were swung and kept open for fresh air and oxidation.

Won't go into more complex analyses (just relax), but I think it might have been healthy.

What thrills me is the fact that most of the posts revealed satisfaction with the arena as it is. Many expressed positive, even warm thoughts and feelings for the way things are unfolding here on the shelves. The main pattern of the multiple texts shows a thumbs up for the free speech and spirit of the Board, and though only 19 - 20 when E-minor7 casts his vote in - did click the pole, it still speaks a language of enjoyment. I guess we can conclude the temperature : HOT !

Only concern for me is that we could have lost some names during the heated hurdle. I wouldn't like to see bkharmony disappear, neither could any of us be pleased with Buc drifting into obscurity.

Not to mention the standards of Mister jt (who promised to send Nash my regards) - a forum without this gentleman would be down right unbearable.

larryp58 said it best : Let's all start the New Year on the same page! (and the same Forum!)

! Yes, same page but all the different voices in the world - Happy Next Year Everybody ! G68card.jpg

Wow, this is a surprise. I've been a member here for a few years, and the Acoustic forum always as seemed to me to be particularly civil, at least compared to some other forums. I know I haven't been around much lately, so maybe I missed something. Or are you all talking about the Lounge, a place I never visit?

Relative to ksdaddy's comment about nuking a thread (which I assume he means in it's entirety), I personally would prefer that the offending posts be deleted rather than the entire thread, or at worst, the thread be locked with an explanation from the mod why (kids, your getting out of hand, go to your rooms).

Yeah, some of this is pointed at the Lounge where things a bit more wild and woolly.

And yes, the Acoustic forum is a more civil place. But the points on video posts, political posts and standard questions apply here just the same.

I'm finding this thread interesting and I think it's turning out well compared to where it might go in the Lounge. B)

Relative to ksdaddy's comment about nuking a thread (which I assume he means in it's entirety), I personally would prefer that the offending posts be deleted rather than the entire thread, or at worst, the thread be locked with an explanation from the mod why (kids, your getting out of hand, go to your rooms).

If I may...

We have tried this approach in the past, but unfortunately the thread that was locked and while still in public view, seemed to have a tendency to grow into a partII, partIII and partIV ](*,) . I have found by removing the thread from public view, especially a thread gone sour, people seem to move on a bit quicker.... Certainly we do have our few special members that pride themselves on remaining anchored to a long lost thread or situation... But we always hold out hope that common sense will prevail, which in turn will allow individuals to get on with their lives on the Gibby/Epi Forums [biggrin]

If I may... those of you not familiar with the "Lounge" area... think 8th grade boys locker room humor. A thread can go south very quickly... as in the very first post after it's opened, and within minutes be way out of line. I've seen it more than once.

Locking still allows the offensive posts to be read; deleting all the offensive posts can be a lifelong occupation. A quick alien abduction is typically the best response. Remember, the mods are volunteers... it is best if they do not have to spend their entire time here deleting offensive and potentially volatile posts.

Oh, and again, thanks guys. You do an excellent job here and have made the forum, at least for me, a great place to come and share perspectives.

Neo..... my gawd!! I had to check to make sure I was in the acoustic section! It's like going on a vacation to a distant locale and seeing someone you know [biggrin]

Anyway, I am happy. I don't see any big egos at all here. The acoustic section has slowed down a bit but the dynamics are ever-changing and nothing is ever static for long. I love the so-called silly threads; they are entertaining. If I want more action I visit the Lounge. If I want to drool I visit the Trading Post. And occassionally I play my guitar [tongue]

Well said Karen. Sums it up nicely for me.

I'd just like to put on record that, IMO, The Modfather and Duane do a great job here. Even I have had posts deleted but all for the right reasons. Keep up the excellent work chaps.

This Forum is what we make it. Nothing more, nothing less.

Great to see you over here too Neo.

Personally... I think courtesy never is too much to ask.

I almost wrote "common courtesy," but sometimes I think courtesy is an increasingly uncommon virtue.

Of course, I'm a grouchy older guy, so... I guess grouchy older guys have been saying the same thing for at least a cupla thousand years.

m

+1 =D>

BTW, as most of us either have seen or soon will see 2010 turn to 2011, may each have a very happy New Year.

It's a dangerously cold wind where I live right now; but I get to go to work later so...

Best wishes to all.

m

BTW, as most of us either have seen or soon will see 2010 turn to 2011, may each have a very happy New Year.

It's a dangerously cold wind where I live right now; but I get to go to work later so...

Best wishes to all.

m

you too Milo and everyone else. it was good airing these things in this thread and nice to hear how things work a little from Duane and Ksdaddy.

Off to pizza express and have a marathon booze sessionmsp_biggrin.gif Happy new year

Matt

you too Milo and everyone else. it was good airing these things in this thread and nice to hear how things work a little from Duane and Ksdaddy.

Off to pizza express and have a marathon booze sessionmsp_biggrin.gif Happy new year

Matt

I'm ordering in pizza tonight too Matt! Stocked up on wine and liquers, and the guitars are in tune. Altho', I fail to see how these preparations are any different that any other weekend. Oh yeah! I'll be wearing a goofy hat!!

Happy New Year everyone! Milod, stay warm. It's -23 celsius here too, with a windchill. Gawd I love my truck.

You guys dont know bad forums.

Absolutely !! The Acoustic forum here is great and really about the only forum I regularly post to. SGGW Woodshed is good for Blues along with Weenie Campbell.

Thanks Mods... I have seen good discussions that are interesting stay open where on many other forums they would simply delete them. Shows you guys are doing a really good job. Mods are voluntarily putting themselves in a "no win" situation to keep this place fun....

The lounge is by definition crazy. I only go there if I wanna laugh at the crazies!

karen...

I think we're in the same time zone, so I'll think of your -23C plus wind chill... Here it's about -17 without wind chill, -30C to -40 with. A -18C and 49 mph wind is uncomfortable on either of our neighboring prairies. <grin>

I just have one advantage: I can blame the cold front on Canada. <chortle>

They have canceled a lot of stuff around here due to blowing snow and a "no travel advisory." So... home sweet house is "it." I've done a bit of work from the house today but...

m

If I may...

We have tried this approach in the past, but unfortunately the thread that was locked and while still in public view, seemed to have a tendency to grow into a partII, partIII and partIV ](*,) . I have found by removing the thread from public view, especially a thread gone sour, people seem to move on a bit quicker.... Certainly we do have our few special members that pride themselves on remaining anchored to a long lost thread or situation... But we always hold out hope that common sense will prevail, which in turn will allow individuals to get on with their lives on the Gibby/Epi Forums [biggrin]

Duane, I understand, and i don't mean or intend to tell you how to do what you do. As others have said, I think the mods here do a good job. And yes, I realize it's a volunteer job with little or no kudos from anyone and the potential to catch a lot of flack.

That said, I made the suggestion that obnoxious or offensive posts be deleted instead of nuking a thread because sometimes it's only one or two posters that are ruining an otherwise perfectly good discussion. One can't then re-open the topic without risk of the perpetrators showing up again to resume the negative part of the discussion. The way I've seen it work on other forums (AGF immediately comes to mind) is that after deleting an offensive post, a mod may post to say why it was deleted, and to warn that the thread will be closed if folks don't behave. That might (or might not) be accompanied by a back channel pm to the author of the deleted post to tell him why h9is post was deleted, and to warn that he will banned if he doesn't behave.

I realize that seems like a lot of work, and it's easier to just delete a thread, but it does seem to have the effect of creating a bit more respectful atmosphere. (as an aside, the AGF is sometimes criticized for heavy-handed moderation, but frankly, I think it works). So, some things to consider, if changes need to be made, might be:

1. add to the number of mods. That might make it easier to address problems in a timely fashion, as well as add some flexibility in how problem posts and/or threads are dealt with (i.e. delete post, pm offending poster, post warning on thread);

2. establish a written "be nice" policy, refer to it often, and enforce it, no exceptions;

3. eliminate the Lounge if it takes too much time/resources to moderate.

I hope you take this post in the spirit it's intended. Not trying to be contentious here, just to provide some food for thought.

Dennis

Ya know the Gibson and Epi lounge are not all bad. It's unique to any lounge forum I have ever visited [thumbup]

There's an abundance of knowledge to be had

Great entertainment that can bowl down the deepest of blues

The camaraderie amongst those that regularly post in the lounge is second to none

Very receptive to n00bs

The good completely out-weighs the bad, and as the months go by, I find myself having to do less and less in terms of moderating with an iron fist, which leaves me more time to be a member, rather than a Mod. I find myself deleting spam post, and banning spammers more than anything these days [biggrin] ....

I think the policies we have in place are more than enough, and I think we should be focusing on loosening up the environment, rather than hanging the riot act over anyone's head.

Happy New Years to all and be safe [thumbup]

Duane...

Yeah, I think we're doing well. I get frustrated when I see a thread I've written into disappear but... spammers are a major bad thing to have and I definitely understand why some threads hafta disappear.

The lounges are really fun for me because it's too easy for somebody my age to insulate him or herself away from a couple of younger generations. The Lounge doesn't let me do that.

It's not that I'm pretending to be young, any more than some of the young folks pretend to be old - but I think it's a musical bridge among generations and that is a definite "good," even on topics that have little to do with pickin'.

BTW, it's rather chilly on the Northern Plains and my state's governor has proclaimed the whole state "no travel." I ain't traveling.

m

Archived