Gibson Brands Forums

The way forward -

E-minor7

I will say this; I respect rules, as long as they are enforced fairly and consistently. My opinion is when they are not - and reflect the personal view of the person in charge and not the ethos set out by the site (in this case the company Gibson)- people will naturally get frustrated and pissed off. That is not them being 'crybabies,' but people with a valid cause for grievance. I respect Ksdaddy not wishing to step on toes to use his phrase and I wont either, but I have seen a lot of people drop out of the site this last 12 months. I was one of them until recently. Lets just say it is wonderful meeting some true friends again who post here and enjoying the site. There are more positives than negatives and I love discussing music with you good people.

Of course, in life you can never please everyone; but I would say if you have ten or more disgruntled people on a forum, who are say from different countries even and with different stances (ie they haven't a vendetta based on their political, religious or musical views) then there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Matt

I think leave it as it is. I still haven`t recovered from the last lot of upheavel yet :blink: First I lose myself and have to re-join as frenchie63! Then today I find myself again, and someones gone and put a great big number at the end of my moniker!

Now i ask you "what`s that all about?. No more changes, I can`t cope!" :wacko: :wacko:

Steve.

P.S. Perhaps others also got lost in the great upheavel, and still can`t find their way back in.

I think it would be in the best interest of Gibson and this forum to get some fresh faces in the moderation department. Perhaps rotating the position on a regular basis will keep things fair and egos at bay.

Do you really think big egos fly around this forum ? This is one thought that hasnt crossed my mind because i havent really seen it. I actually like this site because folks here are well behaved, friendly, informative. Go to the AGF and there you will see some serious egos flying around ... usually for no valid reason.

I also dont remember coming across any political, religious or discriminatory topics. I really dont understand what the issue is, pls enlighten me somebody ?

Do you really think big egos fly around this forum ? This is one thought that hasnt crossed my mind because i havent really seen it. I actually like this site because folks here are well behaved, friendly, informative. Go to the AGF and there you will see some serious egos flying around ... usually for no valid reason.

I also dont remember coming across any political, religious or discriminatory topics. I really dont understand what the issue is, pls enlighten me somebody ?

Hi Euro,

It appears that the Acoustic section of the forum is much more laid back. It's refreshing being in here. [thumbup]

My statements mostly apply to the Lounge and a moderator. [biggrin]

My statements mostly apply to the Lounge and a moderator.

Ditto.

Lotsa stealthy behind-the-scenes antics that are pleasantly denied/diverted where the public is watching.

I suppose transparency is the hallmark of effective moderation, but it is sometimes not so benign in nature.

(More accurate descriptive words would result in another thread being locked...)

That being said, there ARE some good, fair, and knowledgeable members on the Mod Squad.

I have no problem with this Forum continuing 'as is' Lots of valid points have already been brought up by other Forumites who are in the same camp. It seems to be evolving and re-volving. Sometimes interesting and informative, sometimes silly,sometimes boring. We are all free to choose to participate or not. If the current discussion/topics bore someone, they can add/contribute topics of their own and see what happens......or choose not to view at all!

I think a lot of folks are coming off of their Holiday Highs, and are irritable or edgy!

If I was wishing, I would like to have a more active Vintage Gibson section. The acoustic section gets some of it simply because there are more participants and has less chance of going dead.

I started in the Acoustic Forum back when it was started several versions ago. I've always had a soft spot for acoustic music, and am now doing it almost exclusively. This was always a place for sanity.

I go to the Lounge when I want an off topic arguement. I thought that's what it was for.

[flapper]

I must have missed whatever happened, so I won't comment.

Neo..... my gawd!! I had to check to make sure I was in the acoustic section! It's like going on a vacation to a distant locale and seeing someone you know [biggrin]

Anyway, I am happy. I don't see any big egos at all here. The acoustic section has slowed down a bit but the dynamics are ever-changing and nothing is ever static for long. I love the so-called silly threads; they are entertaining. If I want more action I visit the Lounge. If I want to drool I visit the Trading Post. And occassionally I play my guitar [tongue]

After a few "back room" conversations I'll say this, I don't understand why some threads are cut and why some comments that seem rather benign to me are apparently perceived by some others as not being benign.

In a "lounge" situation, I think it's almost anything goes, or should be, as long as it is done with courtesy.

And... frankly I am seriously concerned about some crude language. But I don't complain about it.

I guess that's my concern, crudity and lack of courtesy. I see no excuse for it whatsoever.

That's why I get disappointed when some threads disappear.

BTW, anybody else notice that the "pinned note" in the lounge disappeared that announced the HenryJ section of forums? Not much activity there for months.

Back to the Lounge, it's fun to get one's head "off topic" simply because most of us work for a living one way or another and the Lounge is a great way for pickers to connect and get their heads away from work.

As for acoustic guitar.... I hope never to be in a situation where I have to give up mine, all four of 'em - unless Henry J offers a direct swap for a couple. Well... Hmmmm. I doubt it.

m

re·cal·ci·trant /riˈkalsətrənt/

Adjective: Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority.

I had to look it up. I thought it was a nutritional supplement beverage that helped guard against osteoporosis.

Sorry? Both of these definitions seem appropriate:

1 obstinately defiant of authority or restraint 2 difficult to manage or operate

After reading some voices on the 'Where's Buc' thread, it might be an idea to take the temperature of things.

Seems to be a lot of focus on the moderation, but I like where the forum is at. Yes, there been a couple of moderation incidents I had questions about, but that happens on every forum.

Neo - Love your new Avatar comment. [lol]

Overall, I agree with EuroAussie -

I personally dont see any reasons for tightening up this forum. To me it it played in great spirit with a very wide range of topics being discussed.

Bloody hell this multi quoting ain't easy!! Not my usual way of posting but it seemed right here...msp_thumbup.gif

re·cal·ci·trant /riˈkalsətrənt/

Adjective: Having an obstinately uncooperative attitude toward authority.

I had to look it up. I thought it was a nutritional supplement beverage that helped guard against osteoporosis.

msp_biggrin.gif I giggled reading that!

After a few "back room" conversations I'll say this, I don't understand why some threads are cut and why some comments that seem rather benign to me are apparently perceived by some others as not being benign.

In a "lounge" situation, I think it's almost anything goes, or should be, as long as it is done with courtesy.

I am as perplexed as you Milo. I am a very logical person and try and get along with people as much as possible. I do take issue though when I can see glaring inconsistencies! Cheers to you Milo, you are a gent.

And... frankly I am seriously concerned about some crude language. But I don't complain about it.

I guess that's my concern, crudity and lack of courtesy. I see no excuse for it whatsoever.

Again I agree whole heartedly. Courtesy on a forum shouldn't just be from poster to poster, but poster to mod and mod to poster too! I am a mod on another forum and on the odd time (every 6 months or so) we have had to change something and/or delete something; we give the person a private message saying something along the lines of "I am really sorry to have had to delete that, but you mentioned xxxxx and the forum may get into deep water... no hard feelings..." etc etc. Courtesy and also not automatically reading the worst into someone goes a long way ;)

That's why I get disappointed when some threads disappear.

Me too; If a topic that isn't having any problems - ie no one has been name calling and it hasn't infringed the sites rules , then it is deleted, it is very, very annoying and depressing

Cheers to all the good guys here. Demoon is right some forums are riddled with nasty posters and/or mods that are plain crazy and this certainly isn't one of them, but if my guitar is working really well but has an annoying fret buzz, I would still want to fix it!! LOL msp_biggrin.gifmsp_biggrin.gif

Matt

Well myself, or any of the other mods didn't make up the rules, and when you have the same member(s) breaking the same rules over and over, at some point some action needs to be taken. Certainly if some of you want to blame me for every thread and post that's been deleted, I'm fine with that..LOL!!! For the record I never delete threads, they either get moved to AREA51 or put in unapproved status, at which point the Admin can step in and reverse it

But the one thing I don't appreciate is when certain members from this forum feel the need to follow me on other guitar forums to talk about the moderation here, take personal shots at me, and or ask about the Gibson forum in general. I'm sorry I will not talk about, or engage in any Gibson forum issues on other forums. I will not respond to PM's with tantrum induced over or undertones. If one needs a question answered in regards to a modified thread or post, please present your questions or concerns at the level of a well behaved high school person might, and I will have no issue with engaging in a discussion.

Sorry for the long winded post...

Well myself, or any of the other mods didn't make up the rules, and when you have the same member(s) breaking the same rules over and over, at some point some action needs to be taken. Certainly if some of you want to blame me for every thread and post that's been deleted, I'm fine with that..LOL!!! For the record I never delete threads, they either get moved to AREA51 or put in unapproved status, at which point the Admin can step in and reverse it

But the one thing I don't appreciate is when certain members from this forum feel the need to follow me on other guitar forums to talk about the moderation here, take personal shots at me, and or ask about the Gibson forum in general. I'm sorry I will not talk about, or engage in any Gibson forum issues on other forums. I will not respond to PM's with tantrum induced over or undertones. If one needs a question answered in regards to a modified thread or post, please present your questions or concerns at the level of a well behaved high school person might, and I will have no issue with engaging in a discussion.

Sorry for the long winded post...

Thanks for this reply Duane and for the mods and admins on allowing the discussion to continue.

May I also say to your kind offer that the door is open this end also, to discuss anything providing it is of course civil too msp_thumbup.gif In fact a civil pm is on it's way to you now.

Matt

Archived