Gibson Brands Forums

Your first Amp

MojoRedFoot

Ampeg combo amp with one 12" speaker. Might have been Gemini model. I bought it brand new for $150 in the early '70's. Had to mow a lot of lawns to come up with the cash. Mel Hansen, at Hansen Music in Billings, MT was very cool about letting me payments. I wish I still had that little amp.

Mine was an eleca 10watt amp that came with my eleca guitar. Got it from Argos for christmas when I was 11. The amps still in my family, I gave it to my sister when she went uni so she could play her mp4 through it, but when she moves into her own house next year I might try and get it back. It was a piece of sh*t but it was still my first. Actually, if you click on the link to my youtube channel you can see the image of the amp in the background.

New Crate GT15R (because CC DeVille played Crate’s [blush] ) for Christmas in 1989. Along with a used Memphis single pup POS guitar. Oh and a Crate T shirt I wore to rags all through junior high. I left the amp at a party some time in highschool but when I went back to get it a few months later the “party host” had moved out and my Crate went with him. I still have my Crate T shirt embarrassingly enough.

Mine was a Peavey Series 400 that I carted around for 20 odd years and ended up giving away about 2 years ago. Just before starting to play guitar again. Timing is everything.

Oh well. It gave me an excuse to get my new Marshall.

Dave

It was called a Peavey "Rage" I think, got it from a Pawn shop back around 98, probably 12" speaker, but no more than 15 watts solid state. It was alright, but the input jack was loose so it fizzled and crackled out on me. Caused me to stop playing for a wihle during my crucial development years, so that can explain a bit of my shortcoming when it comes to my playing.

Sold, or traded or given away for parts. I don't remember.

Fender Sidekick bass amp, which I traded about ten years ago to get my first acoustic guitar. I don't really miss it, but I do remember it fondly. It put up with a lot of use and abuse, especially in college.

Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Yeah, I wish I still had the DR. The monster is a great amp, but for all-around purposes I still think the DR is about the best tube type ever... The real weakness to the DR is that of most older tube amps, I think. No real "line out" or "earphone" type of output. But back then nobody thought of such stuff really.

I think "we" tend to get too much into power and not enough into general sound heard by an audience whether we're going solo or in an ensemble. Which is why I keep thinking more nowadays about PA stuff...

m

Milod, I have to agree with you in most respects. My first amp was a Fender Deluxe Reverb (196X's model). All of 22Watts, but it was a killer. Add a Maestro fuzz

to that and you could play early Hendrix and Cream to your heart's content. I now have a VOX AC30CC2. I love it, but the sucker weighs about 75lbs. Not too easy

to lug around to gigs. It's only 30Watts, but their British Watts and they scream, too. Neither of these amps have "line-out" or "earphone" outputs, as you mention

about the Fender DR. When playing with a PA, the best thing to do is "mic" it. You can gets some great sounds with these amps.

PP_CS336

Yeah, I don't think the DR was "the perfect amp," but... at least in the 1960s I think it was the best all-around for anything I knew anyone doing. I played some pretty big venues with mine in a band; we all were pretty well maxed out with the DR, bandmaster and bassman and a tube PA with speakers folks would laugh at today. In the day, though, it was a decent outfit.

I used it also for some solo work with soundhole or other "attachable" pickups on acoustic flat tops or archtops and ran a mike through the other preamp side. I used it to amplify my turntable. Etc., etc.

Ah, but if only it had some way to have a line out or a headphone jack.

And I wish the big mamajama only was 75 pounds. Whew.

m

PP_CS336

Yeah, I don't think the DR was "the perfect amp," but... at least in the 1960s I think it was the best all-around for anything I knew anyone doing. I played some pretty big venues with mine in a band; we all were pretty well maxed out with the DR, bandmaster and bassman and a tube PA with speakers folks would laugh at today. In the day, though, it was a decent outfit.

I used it also for some solo work with soundhole or other "attachable" pickups on acoustic flat tops or archtops and ran a mike through the other preamp side. I used it to amplify my turntable. Etc., etc.

Ah, but if only it had some way to have a line out or a headphone jack.

And I wish the big mamajama only was 75 pounds. Whew.

m

Milod, Yeh, I was reading in Keith Richards' book "Life" how he used to try rig up playing through transistor radios and stuff like that. I remember somehow

rigging up my mothers stereo to amplify my guitar, or was that one of my pre-flashback pipe-dreams. Those were the days, huh?

PP_CS336

Yeah... if for no other reason than we had a lot fewer choices of decent guitars and amps. <grin> I guarantee most of the younger guys here literally would laugh at the amps used by the guys in my first rock band - I was playing trumpet and the acoustic piano and sax player managed to keep up volume-wise. I'm chuckling when I tease that the one kid's Gibson tube Amp probably had 4-inch speaker. It probably was an 8 but... in retrospect it was tiny. But we had folks dancin'.

m

Archived