Gibson Brands Forums

Your first Amp

MojoRedFoot

Mine was actually some Yamaha bass amp. I didn't really know (I was 13) better and the guy at the store didn't really educate me. It worked fine for the several years I had it. I don't remember what model. I just remember it was a 1x12 speaker with very basic controls: Vol, mid, bass, treb.

When I purchased my first electric guitar, an amp went with the deal. The guitar was a 1965 Melody Maker and the amp a 1964 Gibson Explorer GT18. All for $60, purchased in 1974. Sold the amp off years ago. Still got the guitar. Here's a combo photoshop job -

First_Rig.jpg

When I purchased my first electric guitar, an amp went with the deal. The guitar was a 1965 Melody Maker and the amp a 1964 Gibson Explorer GT18. All for $60, purchased in 1974. Sold the amp off years ago. Still got the guitar.

Do you ever wish you had kept the amp and sold off the guitar?

My first amp I think was a Kay that my mom bought for me at a garage sale.

What I consider my first real amp was a 50w peavey classic.

I don't have either of those amps. Although, I know who has the peavey and we are still friends.

First amp was a '66 "store bramd" 15" 50 watt solid state bought at Terminal Music 48th st NYC. (Across from Manny's) Didn't last long 2 or 3 months. Got my money back went across the street to Manny's and bought a used Fender '65 Tremolux. Still have the speaker box. Amp head was "disappeared" sometime in around 1971.

I do wish I had the Amp Head..

Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Swapped some 10 years later for the big mamma jamma 120-watt tube jobbie I still have and almost never use 'cuz it's too $%@#$%@#$%@ big and heavy for me to consider hauling it any fun at all.

Yeah, I wish I still had the DR. The monster is a great amp, but for all-around purposes I still think the DR is about the best tube type ever... The real weakness to the DR is that of most older tube amps, I think. No real "line out" or "earphone" type of output. But back then nobody thought of such stuff really.

I think "we" tend to get too much into power and not enough into general sound heard by an audience whether we're going solo or in an ensemble. Which is why I keep thinking more nowadays about PA stuff...

m

Archived