Gibson Brands Forums

a song that you will never be able to play?

S t e v e

I guarantee there's a Knopfler fan out there that can nail it. But on topic, I've never been able to get "Celebration Day" anywhere near sounding right, same with "The Grunge".

celebration day? i don't think i know that one :-k

Afterlife by Avenged sevenfold. I can play all the notes its just I cant get that feeling. Its almost too automated when I play it. I find it difficult to put soul into a cover song. For example I like Santana. I can play a load of his songs but he jst has this almost fluid sound. To me I would say he has one of the best tones I've ever heard. I just cant play the same way as him.

Regretfully I doubt I'll ever be able to play anything by Django Reinhardt - certainly not with any style.

I've been listening to him for pretty much as long as I can recall (my dad loved 'Gipsy Jazz' so I was exposed to it and D.R. from childhood) and I've never, ever tried to learn any of his fingering technique.

But 'Hope Springs Eternal...' as the saying goes. Perhaps someday.

P.

Well I've been practicing daily for an upcoming gig and everytime I play "Message in a bottle" my wrist cramps. It may be a no-go. Besides that, any of the super technical stuff take your pick (Eric Johnson, Steve Vai genre). I'm pretty good at nailing a lot of Jimmy Page's stuff but I've been practicing it for 30+ years! [crying]

There's a song called "Mediterranean Sundance" by Al Dimiola that I've been trying to play right since I was a teenager. I still can't play it like him, and matter of fact I could actually play it better 25 years ago than I can now #-o

There's a few. I've never been a fan of crazy technical guitarists, but most of the time, its because I feel that I can't give it the same essence as the original artist. That's why I play my own stuff [thumbup]

You cover guys have a harder job. If I mess up, I can make up some BS and say 'oh well, I played that terrible note for color because that's how I felt when I wrote the song'

I'm sure there are a lot of songs I'll never be able to play, but I'm only going by ones I've tried.

After 20 years of trying and working at it on and off, I just can't get all the way through Zeps "The rain Song" or get anwhere near SRV's Lenny. "Riviera Paradise" I was able to wrangle after just a few years but "Lenny" jus eludes me. The list of songs I "Thought" I'd never be able to play is a lot longer.....but that's a different thread......and a thread like that would require a lot of video proof. [unsure] :unsure:

There's a few. I've never been a fan of crazy technical guitarists, but most of the time, its because I feel that I can't give it the same essence as the original artist. That's why I play my own stuff [thumbup]

You cover guys have a harder job. If I mess up, I can make up some BS and say 'oh well, I played that terrible note for color because that's how I felt when I wrote the song'

Yeah when I hit a bad not, I hit it again so it doesn't sound like a mistake.

Been thinkin' about this one...

I believe there are some things that one picker can do that another, equally skilled and talented, cannot do simply because one has certain "stuff" in muscle memory that is different from the other. And ditto the other way around.

It's pretty much the same with a lot of psycho-physical skills ranging from, let's say shooting sports to martial arts to any musical instrument.

So... A "Segovia" is incredible on many "tunes," but a Chet Atkins is incredible on many tunes and Mark Knopfler is incredible on many tunes and Leo Kottke is incredible on many tunes and... each is technically a fingerpicker.

Bottom line is that in some ways I reeeeeally envy the skills and talents of pickers I know are far above anything I can do personally, I also recognize that there are pickers I'd consider roughly in the minor league in which I "play," who can do things I can't imagine myself doing and yet - vice versa.

m

Archived