Gibson Brands Forums

Do you like Fenders?

Geert1976

I've tried to like stratocasters, but it's just not working for me. I need a Gibson/Epiphone styled guitar. The guitar seems a bit too heavy for my likings. It's a great sounding guitar, don't get me wrong. It's just not my thing. The strings are always popping out of the nut on the headstock, which never happened on my Epiphone.

But I don't completely dislike Fender. I've always had a thing for Telecasters.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn that's one sweet looking Rickenbacker Neo.

Yeah?

Here's the back... [woot]

3374276729_cb3c30f4f4_z.jpg

And here's the full shot - so you can see all that Walnut to go along with the Birdseye Maple...

3374276701_d765e673d4_z.jpg

Ain't no plywood there ya know - it's ALL carved. [thumbup]

(You need one of these...) [rolleyes]

I never thought I would own one. But after getting my SSH Vintage Modified Squier Tele I became a Fender fan.

Just two months later I had to get my '96 Fender Strat. I love them both as much as my Epiphones.

008-1.jpg

I can't understand people who are so narrow minded and myopic that they are loyal to one brand and to say another brand stinks etc. just because you like only "your" brand is totally childish and baseless.I have 8 Fenders and they are all great guitars as a matter of fact I have 27 guitars of various brands and I love them all because of the different tonal colours they bring to my palette.

To just call a Stratocaster a crapocaster or some other derogatory name with no reason given to back it up is pointless.People like Jeff Beck,Jimi Hendrix,Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn,George Harrison,John Lennon and countless others would certainly disagree with you.Before someone comes down on me as a Gibson hater my all time dream guitar is the '63 reverse body Firebird VII with the '61 Les Paul Custom with vibrola a close second plus I own 6 Epiphones so far and will be adding to them presently.

There are many excellent guitar makers offering their wares these days and for someone to dismiss well established and respected brands as junk and inferior because of a blind intense brand loyalty borders on being OCD.To limit yourself to only one brand of guitar is doing yourself a great diservice for there are guitars out there that can create spectacular tones and play beautifully and you are depriving yourself of a real treat by closing your mind and eyes to these brands.

The Fender Blacktop Tele is the only fender I've ever really liked and purchased. Not to say their aren't other good ones out there though. I always liked they way fenders played, but never cared for the tones but the dual humbuckers in the blacktop tele were actually pretty good. Just to take it over the top though, i put burstbucker pros in there. I got the Tele look and feel, with a lot of Gibson tone. It's also the only non _______ burst color guitar i own. Gibson just does such an outstanding job with their two tone and three tone finishes.

But, to each his own. What really matters is what feels/sounds good to you.

I can't understand people who are so narrow minded and myopic that they are loyal to one brand and to say another brand stinks etc. just because you like only "your" brand is totally childish and baseless.I have 8 Fenders and they are all great guitars as a matter of fact I have 27 guitars of various brands and I love them all because of the different tonal colours they bring to my palette.

To just call a Stratocaster a crapocaster or some other derogatory name with no reason given to back it up is pointless.People like Jeff Beck,Jimi Hendrix,Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn,George Harrison,John Lennon and countless others would certainly disagree with you.Before someone comes down on me as a Gibson hater my all time dream guitar is the '63 reverse body Firebird VII with the '61 Les Paul Custom with vibrola a close second plus I own 6 Epiphones so far and will be adding to them presently.

There are many excellent guitar makers offering their wares these days and for someone to dismiss well established and respected brands as junk and inferior because of a blind intense brand loyalty borders on being OCD.To limit yourself to only one brand of guitar is doing yourself a great diservice for there are guitars out there that can create spectacular tones and play beautifully and you are depriving yourself of a real treat by closing your mind and eyes to these brands.

I don't like the way they play, I never said that Fenders are crap and I'm NOT narrow minded.

There are guitars you have more or less feel for, thats it.

Fenders are not my thing thats that, and yes I call them crapocasters [flapper]

I also tried PRS, but I cant get used to the thin necks and the sound is not my sound, but there better built then Fenders.

I own a lot of guitars from various types and brands, and Fenders are not my thing (although I own a few).

So I'm not stuck to only one brand.

Everybody has the right to like or dislike a guitar.

I know a lot of people that love Fenders and hate Gibsons, do I think their narrow minded NO!

There are a lot of guitarplayers out there, and they all have their own opinion, thank god for that, because that is the reason that their are various guitarbranches and types out there.

I would be pretty boring if we al played the same brand and type guitar don't you think?

So who is narrow minded, you or me?

Love my fenders.

Played Strats and Kramers most of my gigging days. If you can't play a fender your loss.msp_flapper.gif

I didn't even get into Les Pauls until i was in my 40s and although I've owned 4, my go to guitar is my 52 Telecaster. The funny thing with that is I wasn't even looking to buy a Tele. It was just sitting on a stand smiling at me. Letting me play all these other guitars and then after not being blown away by any of the others I gave her a go. Amazing guitar thats now my number 1.

Its all just feel and comfortability though so whatever feels right for you, is right for you.

FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD THEY'RE GUITARS!! THEY'RE ALL GREAT!! msp_thumbup.gif

fenders015.jpg

Love my fenders.

Played Strats and Kramers most of my gigging days. If you can't play a fender your loss.msp_flapper.gif

I didn't even get into Les Pauls until i was in my 40s and although I've owned 4, my go to guitar is my 52 Telecaster. The funny thing with that is I wasn't even looking to buy a Tele. It was just sitting on a stand smiling at me. Letting me play all these other guitars and then after not being blown away by any of the others I gave her a go. Amazing guitar thats now my number 1.

Its all just feel and comfortability though so whatever feels right for you, is right for you.

FOR CRYIN' OUT LOUD THEY'RE GUITARS!! THEY'RE ALL GREAT!! msp_thumbup.gif

I may be a little bit nutty.

When I really need a strat sound, I always grab my Vester Tradition 57 Strat(I use it for Cris Isaak and Pearl Jam):

HPIM3347.jpg

When I really need a Tele a grab my Tokai TE-70 Breezysound:

HPIM3808.jpg

I never grab my Fenders [blink][bored]

I may be a little bit nutty.

When I really need a strat sound, I always grab my Vester Tradition 57 Strat(I use it for Cris Isaak and Pearl Jam):

HPIM3347.jpg

When I really need a Tele a grab my Tokai TE-70 Breezysound:

HPIM3808.jpg

I never grab my Fenders [blink][bored]

Well you are from the nether regions but I digress. Pale imitations at best.msp_flapper.gif

I love the sound of a Tele, especially a thinline-not a fan of the looks.

Never been attracted to a Strat.

As a woodworker, Fender guitars are unappealing because it appears as though they are just slapped together. That string tree bothers me aesthetically. It is way cheaper than adding an angle to the headstock.

I can't deny how great the sounds you get from some Fender guitars are but I've always been drawn to Gibsons for their sound and playability in addition to the elegance of the design.

From the standpoint of craftsmanship the two brands are on opposite ends of the universe. This isn't a slam against Fender, just a difference IMHO.

I love Teles, but Strats are a bit too bland for me design-wise. Although I can't deny how incredibly good they sound. Jaguars, Mustangs and all those other "oddball" guitars they make are cool too.

You can say what you want about their guitars, but is there seriously one person in the world who can say a Fender amp sounds bad? I'm consistently stunned by their amps everytime I hear and play them [thumbup]

Well you are from the nether regions but I digress. Pale imitations at best.msp_flapper.gif

Huh? what do you mean by that?

The Vester and the Tokai are very good guitars, these to brands had Fender on their back during the 80's because they copied the real Fenders to good [biggrin]

I love Teles, but Strats are a bit too bland for me design-wise. Although I can't deny how incredibly good they sound. Jaguars, Mustangs and all those other "oddball" guitars they make are cool too.

You can say what you want about their guitars, but is there seriously one person in the world who can say a Fender amp sounds bad? I'm consistently stunned by their amps everytime I hear and play them [thumbup]

The Fender amps are great, at home I use a 1976 Fender Champ Silverface and I love it!

I love the sound of a Tele, especially a thinline-not a fan of the looks.

Never been attracted to a Strat.

As a woodworker, Fender guitars are unappealing because it appears as though they are just slapped together. That string tree bothers me aesthetically. It is way cheaper than adding an angle to the headstock.

I can't deny how great the sounds you get from some Fender guitars are but I've always been drawn to Gibsons for their sound and playability in addition to the elegance of the design.

From the standpoint of craftsmanship the two brands are on opposite ends of the universe. This isn't a slam against Fender, just a difference IMHO.

I think you said it just right [thumbup]

When I am in the mood for that unique squawk, I love playing my Telecaster

Here is my Nashville Telecaster I really love the satin finish neck, fast and smooth

The amp is a VC-30 that I refinished...I like the amp, hated the metal grill

IMG_5898.jpg

I have owned several Fenders but have just never been able to " bond " with them. I thni that they have their place. I usually try to keep a strat for times when I need that strat tone. I've owned a couple USA Strats, a G&L, and a MIM and they all sound the same to me.

Archived