Gibson Brands Forums

So its mostly guys here...

Silenced Fred

Up North it's pretty common to have a survival kit in your car that will allow you to wait out being stuck on a highway or accident or broken down car until help arrives. Flares, glowsticks, dried foods, water, pocket heaters, books or puzzles, flashlight, emergency poncho/blanket, med kit etc.

I carry a satchel/book bag type thing (messenger bag I guess they call it) or a backpack to work everyday.

It carries books, laptop, pens, portable hard-drives, papers to grade or return, etc. If I'm not going to

work or a work related activity it's keys, wallet, and phone - in pockets.

I won't wear backpacks. They're too cumbersome.

Case in point:

There are people up here in Boston, mostly students, some commuters, who ride the T with their giant backpacks. Most of them are blissfully unaware of where their backpacks are and how every time they sway with the train their backpack slams me in the arm or something. Usually annoying, sometimes painful. Getting smacked in the back of the head with a backpack full of college textbooks is no fun. At least with the murse you can swing it around the front and hang on to it so you're not hitting your fellow passengers with it all the time. Never had a problem with the murse wearers, only people with backpacks.

Amen,

I too went to the trusty Courier bag a few years ago.

call it what you want(for those of you NOT secure in your manhood).

it's better than a back pack.

I keep a Camelbak with the following in my truck at all times (or on me when I venture out)...

-knife with mini saw blade

-magnifying lens

-compass

-tooth brush and mini tube

-spare contacts

-compact flashlight (LED)

-compact headlamp (LED)

-50 feet of nylon rope

-a couple gallon ziploc bags

-two 55 gallon trash bags

-first aid kid

-water purifcation tablets

-aspirin

-antacids

-two emergency space blankets

-two bic lighters

-waterproof matches

-wax tinder

-water bottle

-small roll of duct tape

-disposable poncho

-whistle

-candle

-heavy gauge needle w/thread

That's the best I can do from memory. Yes, I am prepared. I will not be found unprepared!

We knew there was a reason you survived the plane jump.msp_flapper.gif

In my pockets:

Wallet

Pocket knife

Office Keys

change.

Everything else is in the desk drawer, car, or at home.

Sunglasses are in my coat pocket or parked on my cap.

Cell phone, if I have it is in my shirt pocket, usually alongside a pen.

If I haven't got room to carry it on my person, it doesn't go with.

(or in my wife's purse...but there usually isn't room in it.)

Now a bug-out bag, that's a different story.

A comment about purses.

My wife complains that her purses don't last long. But if you ever saw her purse, you'd know why. It doesn't matter how big it is, it is always busting at the seams with stuff. I mean you couldn't get an exercise ball with me sitting on it tighter than her purse. Most times the zipper doesn't close for all the stuff she has in it. She does limit what she carries by the amount she can lift and carry, therefore, her purses are usually not real big.

She once asked me to hold her purse while she tried on some clothes. I said, "Sure", then placed it in the shopping cart. She said, "If I wanted it in the shopping cart, I would have put it there." :angry: Befuddled by that logic and the desire to NOT place her purse in the bottom of the shopping cart, I replied, "If I wanted to carry a purse, I'd have brought one." [sneaky] She didn't speak to me for a couple hours. [cursing]

I keep a Camelbak with the following in my truck at all times (or on me when I venture out)...

-magnifying lens

-compass

-spare contacts

-compact headlamp (LED)

-50 feet of nylon rope

-first aid kid

-aspirin

-antacids

-two bic lighters

-waterproof matches

-wax tinder

-water bottle

-small roll of duct tape

-disposable poncho

-whistle

-candle

That's the best I can do from memory. Yes, I am prepared. I will not be found unprepared!

Were you in the armed forces or something?

-magnifying lens

-compass

-spare contacts

-compact headlamp (LED)

-50 feet of nylon rope

-first aid kid

-aspirin

-antacids

-two bic lighters

-waterproof matches

-wax tinder

-water bottle

-small roll of duct tape

-disposable poncho

-whistle

-candle

You carry this all in your truck? All you need is some lye, a pistol, and a shovel [scared] [scared]

You carry this all in your truck? All you need is some lye, a pistol, and a shovel [scared] [scared]

Now you're just being judgmental.

Some parts of this country are pretty wild and untamed. Having a vehicular, mechanical breakdown can be a serious situation as you may not see another passer by for weeks.

Once that blue/gray glow of the last mercury vapor light fades to black in your rear view mirror, you'd better be prepared to either walk back or prepare for a LONG stay. Either one requires the provisions DBCooper mentions, and then some. I'm not seeing any sustenance. Probably figures to snare rabbits or such.

Actually, you do make a good point about additional equipment. But, I'd leave the lye at home.

Archived