Gibson Brands Forums

With or without pick-guard?

awel

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So did you leave your pick-guard on or did you remove it?

There are people that prefers it without, and you?

often, i prefer none. however, i did add one to a custom classic that may make some cringe. i just wanted it.

Are you talking about Les Pauls?

On.

I use the p/g as a finger rest so I find playing much more comfortable with one fitted.

In fact I've just placed an order for one to be custom-made for my R9. It was one of the instruments which left the factory without having had one fitted.

As it's one of the very early re-issues ('93) it has the 'wrong' p-up spacing and current Gibson Historic 'guards don't fit.

P.

Are you talking about Les Pauls?

On.

I use the p/g as a finger rest so I find playing much more comfortable with one fitted.

In fact I've just placed an order for one to be custom-made for my R9. It was one of the instruments which left the factory without having had one fitted.

As it's one of the very early re-issues ('93) it has the 'wrong' p-up spacing and current Gibson Historic 'guards don't fit.

P.

Yes, on Les Pauls [thumbup]

Off - on the Rock & Roll guitars (LP, 345)

On - on the jazzboxes (L-5, L-7 and other non-Gibsons)

Due to the playing style and design of the guitars, I actually find them "in the way" for playing Rock and Blues on the solids and semis. The pickguard, serving as a finger rest, is almost required on the jazzboxes since the strings are 1" off the body at the bridge.

Off - on the Rock & Roll guitars (LP, 345)

On - on the jazzboxes (L-5, L-7 and other non-Gibsons)

Due to the playing style and design of the guitars, I actually find them "in the way" for playing Rock and Blues on the solids and semis. The pickguard, serving as a finger rest, is almost required on the jazzboxes since the strings are 1" off the body at the bridge.

Ok, but I don't totally agree.

Joe Bonamassa is not a full 'Jazz' player, but the pick-guard is on:

JoeBonamassaPlaying-1271712429791.jpg

Joe_Bonamassa_4sized.jpg

NEVER pickguard

NEVER selector switch ring

NEVER Speed knobs

NEVER covered humbuckers

NEVER grover rotomatics

NEVER black pup rings

NEVER black switch tip

NEVER gold hardwared

double black pups, gold tophats, amber or nickel switch tip (or none), nickel hardware, original strap buttons and a set of Grolsh washers as strap locks.

The control cavity covers on the back are optional

I like my Paula in the buff.

I tend to agree with Larry, especially on archtops.

I don't care much for the LP so it's kinda a moot point, but I'd almost certainly leave it on for finger bracing and altitude corrections reference point.

In fact, I made the error of removing the pick guard from that old Harmony one-pickup jazz box from the '50s I have. Did it because I was doing country rock at the time and used a different sort of playing style with the pinkie using the bridge more as a reference point. Now I've gotta find the @#$% thing and put it back on.

m

NEVER pickguard

NEVER selector switch ring

NEVER Speed knobs

NEVER covered humbuckers

NEVER grover rotomatics

NEVER black pup rings

NEVER black switch tip

NEVER gold hardwared

double black pups, gold tophats, amber or nickel switch tip (or none), nickel hardware, original strap buttons and a set of Grolsh washers as strap locks.

The control cavity covers on the back are optional

I like my Paula in the buff.

waouw! this is Rock! [biggrin]

Although it covers some of the beauty of the top on my LP. I put it on when I got it. It came loose in the case, so I had the choice. I use it for a finger rest. I'd rather rest my fingers on the plastic than put oil / finger marks on the top.

Just let me point out - if you're trying to avoid scratches etc to your top, what difference does it make if you don't see the top - the PG is over it.

So some time/years later, the rest of the guitar is aged, faded and mojoed, but the part under the PG looks brand new - some call it a shadow.

Never made sense to me. B)

Now the finger rest thing . . . . . I can get with that.

Archived