Gibson Brands Forums

No Stairway to heaven!

Guest Farnsbarns

Guest FarnsBarns

I've always wondered why it is that playing Stairway has always been considered a bit of a joke?

It's clearly a great tune and, if played with some finesse, is a beautiful song.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because if you were growing up during the 70s that song was played on the radio A LOT!

And every kid guitar-rock-hero-wannabe was playing it in every garage band in the country.

Yes, it's a good song. And I know some people still enjoy listening to it.

I have almost every Zep album. But I haven't played that song in over 20 years. And probably never will again. I don't need to. Almost every note in every bar is stored in my memory. :)

I was in a music store a few weeks ago talking to a sales guy and somebody plugged into an amp started playing Stairway. Both of us stopped and turned to see who was playing it (as did half the store). Guess it's still social faux pas to play that song in a store.

Because if you were growing up during the 70s that song was played on the radio A LOT!

And every kid guitar-rock-hero-wannabe was playing it in every garage band in the country.

So, Page was like what Slash is now? [biggrin]

If I'm in a guitar store I like to play Megadeth's "Rust in Peace...Polaris" and Annihilator's "King of the Kill."

If I'm trying something clean or playing an acoustic I'll usually do "Deep River Blues" or Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright." Or I'll just noodle.

I have no desire to play "Stairway..." when I'm playing guitar, although I still love the song. If I heard someone else trying it in a music store, I wouldn't bat an eyelash unless they played it tastelessly.

In Austin, you hear a lot of SRV wannabees at guitar stores. I never play other people's songs. I just play some scales and whatever comes to mind. That way no one can say I'm doing it wrong [thumbup]

it's easy to spot the players trying out an amp they're considering buying, and those just hanging out with nothing else to do...

there are worse things they could be doing, of course.

When in a guitar store, I don't like to hear people playing anything that they don't have to play to evaluate the gear. The music store is not a concert hall, and I'm there to evaluate instruments. Somebody else using the store for a concert or practice session just hampers my ability to check out what I want to evaluate. And if they are playing too loud, I'm outta there (I have ears to protect).

Stairway IS a great song and it WAS overplayed. Like most people, I got tired of hearing it as often as it was played on the radio.

But like all overplayed great songs, when I hear them now, they are like "old friends" and I really enjoy visiting them again -- but wouldn't want to do so every day.

I wouldn't worry about what other musicians think when or if you play it.

You can play for yourself, you can play for other musicians, or you can play for the general public. If you are good enough, you will get the audience that you asked for.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

I was in a music store a few weeks ago talking to a sales guy and somebody plugged into an amp started playing Stairway. Both of us stopped and turned to see who was playing it (as did half the store). Guess it's still social faux pas to play that song in a store.

So, Page was like what Slash is now? [biggrin]

Sort of but Page's catalog of instantly recognizable riffs is larger than Slash's. I realize the flamethrowers are about to be unleashed, but it is what it is.....[glare]

People evaluate gear differently....

when I was going to different music stores over the last year trying out amps, I had those things cranked, and were evaluated on all different volumes and EQ settings. Same goes for a guitar....

If I'm gonna spend over $1000 for any gear, I'm gonna evaluate gear the way I see fit, and I really don't care what any other people are saying or how they feel about it.

Out of a the people I have heard say how easy Stairway is to play, I have only experienced a handful who can actually play it properly.

Over played by guitarists of a certain generation? Perhaps, but still a finely crafted song!

Interesting how the topic has developed regarding trying out gear. Where ever possible, I am much more comfortable trying gear in a sound proof room. I agree it is not an audition and also don't feel good playing over someone else. To evaluate it properly you need just that sound and nothing else.

Matt

Guest FarnsBarns

If I'm in a guitar store I like to play Megadeth's "Rust in Peace...Polaris" and Annihilator's "King of the Kill."

If I'm trying something clean or playing an acoustic I'll usually do "Deep River Blues" or Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright." Or I'll just noodle.

I have no desire to play "Stairway..." when I'm playing guitar, although I still love the song. If I heard someone else trying it in a music store, I wouldn't bat an eyelash unless they played it tastelessly.

I was in a shop in December trying out the guitar I now own. There was a kiddy in there (about 17) playing the Wild Thing riff with three power chords, WRONGLY, for about 40 minutes, non stop! He was playing a £1700 guitar he clearly had no intention of buying. I was amazed he didn't get thrown out. In the end the manager went and turned him down so I could check out the R6 without this awful noise.

I hate playing in music shops and generally just play up and down a pentatonic blues scale with a couple of twiddley bits (Maybe a 12 bar if the shop is quiet) a few times to get a feel for neck and action, clean and with gain, do the same on a few major and minor scales, play all the open chords, and a few barres and then check every string at ever fret, and bend them to check for a buzz-free clear tone, and then check intonation. I also check all the tuners feel solid, all the switches and knobs and controls to check for function and obviously to get an idea of the tonal range of the instrument.

I know it's me but in a music shop I can feel a million sets of eyes (and ears) piercing the back of my head and I can't concentrate on the instrument if I play anything proper at all.

I reckon I leave most music store employees with the impression I can't play guitar!

I think it became a joke after the movie:

(Media not quoted)

I guess what the movie is joking about is that basically everyone has learned to play "Stairway to Heaven". But you're right: That doesn't change the fact that it's a great song.

No, it was a no-no before that film!

Guest FarnsBarns

Wayne didn't play it like that in the music store... :)

i am a sucker for this style: i need lessons again.

thanks!!

Oh my, I hope you didn't think that was me! I did learn it from that vid and love the guy, you should subscribe to his channel. I can't take any credit though!

You're missing the point here, it's not anything to do with the song itself, it's a great song! The problem is when people come into the store who cannot play the great song and butcher it repeatedly that the "No Stairway" thing came up. It's not that they don't want to hear it, it's that they don't want to hear YOU play it.

That song has one of my favourite solos also, and I don't want to hear Joe Ahole play it when I'm trying to do my shopping or trying out an instrument at the music store. The guys and gals working at a music store, also don't want to hear it all day.

This isn't stairway, but you get the idea

Archived