Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul / SG question

feldkeen4

If we already have a SG, Strat, and a Tele. The next logical choice would be a Les Paul (in the solid body world anyway).

The SG is very light and sounds awesome. But, my price range is more in the Les Paul studio arena. I'm just not willing to spend $1800 to $2000 for a (non chambered / weight relieved) traditional Les Paul for the kick *** sound of a 10 pound guitar.

Here's the question: Is it worth the money for a lighter Les Paul if you already have SG?

Guest FarnsBarns

If we already have a SG, Strat, and a Tele. The next logical choice would be a Les Paul (in the solid body world anyway).

The SG is very light and sounds awesome. But, my price range is more in the Les Paul studio arena. I'm just not willing to spend $1800 to $2000 for a (non chambered / weight relieved) traditional Les Paul for the kick *** sound of a 10 pound guitar.

Here's the question: Is it worth the money for a lighter Les Paul if you already have SG?

That's 100% subjective. I don't believe that weight relief (swiss cheese) actually makes much difference. Clambering, however, definitely brightens and thins the tone. That is not good or bad, but it is different. Keep playing LPs, yours is out there, you'll know It's yours very quickly when playing it.

The Epiphone '59 &'60 Reissue Les Pauls are fabulous guitars as long as you're not really insistant on having a Gibson.I recently played an Epi 59 Tribute and it sounded and played better than my buddy's '09 Gibson Les Paul Custom.

That's 100% subjective. I don't believe that weight relief (swiss cheese) actually makes much difference. Clambering, however, definitely brightens and thins the tone. That is not good or bad, but it is different. Keep playing LPs, yours is out there, you'll know It's yours very quickly when playing it.

I agree.......I have a rare Gibby LP Standard; It's chambered, I don't like the chambered sound....I also have Giggy and Epi LP Studios.....

also chambered......They look wonderful sitting on their geetar stands........They do not get played.....................

I had a LP Studio "Lite" that was thin in the body, and indeed it sounded like an SG.

I recently acquired a chambered Studio Faded in mahogany/mahogany (brown) and it's bright (BurstBucker Pro's), but not the same sound. More Les paul.

I also have a Studio Gothic my 30yo son uses (he is more "metal" fan than I) that is heavier, more LP sounding, and has the 490/498 series humbuckers.I don't know if it has a maple cap. I've heard it's just mahogany (like some LP Customs?).

I happen to like the brown Studio Faded best, but come from years of Fender use, and my Mark-IV Boogie amp has a ton of low end. The guitar is lively and crispy, not dense and massive sounding. It sounds Les Paul-"ish." Not SG-ish, but is not your traditional heavy LP whollop. I like the versatility, but perhaps the OP should seek out a Norlin era used LP.

Hey man

Welcome to the dark side

Do what I did, throw everything you've got out and start again!!!

Only Joking

There is no starting point or finishing point when it comes to Les Pauls

I have battled with this for years and have only come to one conclusion

Just buy more of them, otherwise you will go mad like I did !!!!

Cheers, Mick from OZ!!!msp_thumbup.gif

LP's and SG are very different guitars with a very different sound and even more obvious a very different look and feel. Only you can decide if the value of a certain model is worth it for you. The answer for me is a resounding yes, I have quite a few guitars and the Gibson Les Paul is my go to favorite for most playing it's a combination of the sound, the feel and even the classic looks.

The only advice I'd ever give someone that is looking, others have already said, take your time and get one that you really like. If you get the right guitar it really will last your lifetime which makes almost everything a good deal, but if you get a less expensive guitar (that you don't love) but your decided to get just because it was a good financial buy, then chances are you'll be less than happy and you'll probably be looking again in just a few years.

As for the comment that an Epiphone is just as good or worse that it even sounds better than a Gibson model, well that's just not true unless the Gibson being compared has a problem. Epiphone makes some very good guitars, especially for the price, but they are not equal to the comparable Gibson made Les Paul models. The component quality and materials used just doesn't make that an realistic option.

Good luck and happy hunting and I hope you find a Gibby LP that you love playing so much that your not even worried about whether it was a good financial buy or not - than you know it's a keeper.

So true and its been a long time since I have seen that discussion here, been at least 6 months. Although Epi keep upping their standards and who knows maybe one day they will be made in the US again.

Epi vs Gibby discussions are not allowed here...........duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having said that, my Epi P-3 is better than any semi hollow Gibby I've ever owned............Duh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I own a Les Paul Studio, with the wire red finish with gold hardware. This guitar has the 490R/498T pickups. Besides being VERY light, and playing effortlessly, the guitar sounds GREAT. Really, these glossy model LP Studios are so nice, you won't really miss not having the binding, the pearl Gibson inlaid logo, or the flamed maple top! The chambered body relieves a ton of weight, and that's all. The tonal difference between the chambered, weight relieved and solid bodies is almost non-existant, and really, you could probably attribute most of the tonal differences to wood density, pickup combinations, and the simple fact that EVERY guitar sounds a little different. :D Back when I was shopping for my Gibson, I went for an SG Standard.....found one, liked it a lot.....BUT, when I looked at the wine red / gold hardware LP Studio, it was just as nice. It actually looks nicer, if you like the more traditional styled electric guitars :P A Les Paul is totally needed in any guitarists collection, and a LP Studio will be a wonderful addition that you simply cannot go wrong with! Besides, the Les Paul should balance better, and shouldn't suffer from "neck dive" like so many SG's do!

I own a Les Paul Studio, with the wire red finish with gold hardware. This guitar has the 490R/498T pickups. Besides being VERY light, and playing effortlessly, the guitar sounds GREAT. Really, these glossy model LP Studios are so nice, you won't really miss not having the binding, the pearl Gibson inlaid logo, or the flamed maple top! The chambered body relieves a ton of weight, and that's all. The tonal difference between the chambered, weight relieved and solid bodies is almost non-existant, and really, you could probably attribute most of the tonal differences to wood density, pickup combinations, and the simple fact that EVERY guitar sounds a little different. :D Back when I was shopping for my Gibson, I went for an SG Standard.....found one, liked it a lot.....BUT, when I looked at the wine red / gold hardware LP Studio, it was just as nice. It actually looks nicer, if you like the more traditional styled electric guitars :P A Les Paul is totally needed in any guitarists collection, and a LP Studio will be a wonderful addition that you simply cannot go wrong with! Besides, the Les Paul should balance better, and shouldn't suffer from "neck dive" like so many SG's do!

+1000

In short the answer is YES!!!

I don't get how you guys say an SG sounds so completely different than a Les Paul. I personally don't hear that big of a tone difference between the two, oh well, maybe I'm tone deaf. I know there are subtle differences between the two, but they still still sound similar to me. I personally feel no need to own a LP, because for me the SG covers pretty much the same ground, plus has better playability.

IMO if you have a Gibson humbucker sound, and want a Les Paul with a different sound, look at the Tribute Series. Get yourself some P90s [thumbup]

The p-90 cheaper model with the gold top is what prompted me to start this thread. I was shocked how light it was, and wasn't sure if it packed a adequate punch. And my new MIM tele is a bit on the heavy side which seems to really have that cool honky tonk sound, more "tonk" sounding than lighter ones.

It just made me think of the whole mystique of the 50's heavy Les Paul. Also, that sound of the 59 Les Paul was sought after prompting the return in 1968 after not being made since the SG replaced it. In fact that last sentence really answered my own question.

The Swiss Cheese weight relieved Studios don't really lose much weight from the weight relief holes. I found this out on my rebuild when I filled them back in. ( I would say less than 1/4 of a pound) . I believe they use the less dense pieces of Mahogany that they have on them which just makes them lighter to begin with. Mahogany varies in weight greatly from piece to piece. You also lose a little bit of the weight factor from the 1/8th" thinner maple top.

I bet if you looked around you could find a studio that is pretty heavy depending on the piece of Mahogany they used. If you don't like light guitars (I don't) then definitely stay away from the chambered.

One thing you could do that is relatively easy and would be fun if your into doing a little work is find a good deal on a studio. Sand the back completely flat ( to remove the rounded edge) and glue a dense ( heavy ) piece of 1/8th" or slightly thicker Mahogany or Maple veneer ( check different pieces for weight) to the back and refinish it. It sounds harder than it is but this will get you a full thickness heavy Les Paul. Check out my rebuild post as I have just posted some pics of this process.

Andy

I have an SG Standard (an '04). I like it enough to want to keep it forever. But recently, I went out and got a new LP Studio. I also want to keep this, too. To me, they both sound a little different and play a little different. I like 'em both, for slightly different reasons. But that's just me . . .

I have a 97 Les Paul Studio DC that is chambered, a 2009 Raw Power Les Paul Studio that is all maple and a 2008 SG Special. They all sound very diffrent and the neck SG plays way different than the Les Pauls. For playing up past the 12th fret I like the SG but for tone I like the Raw Power.

It's a paint brush... is it worth it? Depends on what you're painting.

I don't think sound had as much to do with why they re-released the LP in 68, they made a resurgence because everyone wanted one because Clapton and Page were playing them. That's my take on the situation anyway.

I have a 97 Les Paul Studio DC that is chambered, a 2009 Raw Power Les Paul Studio that is all maple and a 2008 SG Special. They all sound very diffrent and the neck SG plays way different than the Les Pauls. For playing up past the 12th fret I like the SG but for tone I like the Raw Power.

Good analogy![thumbup]

IMO if you have a Gibson humbucker sound, and want a Les Paul with a different sound, look at the Tribute Series. Get yourself some P90s [thumbup]

Yes.....indeed...

Well stated...........

I have an SG Std and an LP Trad (Is that classed as a lighter Les Paul?)...like chalk and cheese...at first you don't really notice a difference in tone, but there is a big difference. Apart from the pups,the mass of wood make the LP sustain way more than the SG....the SG is more playable in my opinion, and a bit more "growly-gritty" than the LP with the 490R\498T combo...

The LP is swiss cheesed, but is heavy and a pig to play past the 15th fret...BUT, its a Les Paul! [thumbup] If I could only choose one it would be tough decision...

I must agree with some of the previous posters and say that every guitarist should own at least one Les Paul...

in 2010 the LP's sales have tripled..why because swleary has a 2009 traditional and everyone wants to be him..just sayin lmao

I'm in a " SWLEARY " cover band..........We Ef..in Rock !!!!!!!!!! [scared][flapper][thumbup]eusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gifeusa_clap.gif ..........

you can have your cake and eat it too. My son's $1400 LP Studio Deluxe (2009 from GC) is heavy like my LP STND Traditional...and has that meaty sound (lacked by my chambered Studio). I love my Traditional...AND my SG Stnd. They feel and play a little different though.

Archived