Gibson Brands Forums

Walking to school

Californiaman

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still under $4.

But the local concern is that the higher gas prices may put significant damage to the local tourism economy which is significant.

And that's not to mention "economic recovery" at all.

m

Paid around $4.20/gallon on Saturday. Almost $50 to fill up my S10's little tank. Thank allah I only drive her about 25 miles per week.

So glad we bought a Prius for my wife's commute. Love that gas sipper.

I wish fuel was that cheap here in the U.K! I’m currently paying £6.32 per gallon, I think at current exchange rates that’s $10.13. I think most people in the U.K would be overjoyed at paying $4.20 per gallon.

Ian.

Guest FarnsBarns

It's hilarious listening to Americans talking about the price of petrol (gas). No offence intended...

It's around $9.80 per gallon here in the UK. Consider yourselves' very lucky!

It's hilarious listening to Americans talking about the price of petrol (gas). No offence intended...

It's around $9.80 per gallon here in the UK. Consider yourselves' very lucky!

But outside of New York, DC, San Fran, and Chicago, we don't have usable public transit like you do. Not sure how people in places like Detroit, Dallas, and Orange County make it.

I started cutting back on my car usage years ago. Nowadays we have to fill the tank in our '95 Toyota less than once a month. We live in an urban environment so there are more alternatives to driving and walking is a viable option. Oil is too valuable to just burn up.

Gas is @ 4.18/gal here, now.

Works out to 13 cents per mile.

Not good, but not the end of the world when I can bike and/or walk to most of the important places - work, grocery, whatever.

I wish someone would pay me to go out.

Oh! wait!

They do.

I wish fuel was that cheap here in the U.K! I'm currently paying £6.32 per gallon, I think at current exchange rates that's $10.13. I think most people in the U.K would be overjoyed at paying $4.20 per gallon.

Ian.

A big difference between the UK and "The Colonies" is how far spread out we are here. You can drive for 12 hours at highway speeds and never leave California, (north to south), and pretty close to that amount of time to cross Texas.

Guest FarnsBarns

A big difference between the UK and "The Colonies" is how far spread out we are here. You can drive for 12 hours at highway speeds and never leave California, (north to south), and pretty close to that amount of time to cross Texas.

That is very true indeed, but I would assume that most peoples motoring equates about the same anyway. While we can drive from the most northerly part of the UK to the most southerly in about 8-10 hours, I've never done it. really, as a couple, we drive about 40-50 miles a week, which equates to about $20-30 in our car. You only really feel it when you do have to drive across the country in one hit and you really feel the cost.

BTW, it's high taxation that makes fuel expensive over here, it's 70%!

That is very true indeed, but I would assume that most peoples motoring equates about the same anyway. While we can drive from the most northerly part of the UK to the most southerly in about 8-10 hours, I've never done it. really, as a couple, we drive about 40-50 miles a week, which equates to about $20-30 in our car. You only really feel it when you do have to drive across the country in one hit and you really feel the cost.

BTW, it's high taxation that makes fuel expensive over here, it's 70%!

I live in the "Inner Bay Area" and I work in the "Inner Bay Area" and I drive @ 50 miles per day just to work and back.. We have people who work with me who travel 250 per day to work and back, (although most carpool who live that far away).

I'd say most people who work here travel farther than I do.

And if somone wants to drive afrom one coast to the other in the US, it's 3000 miles!

We don't have Buses/Trains/Subways set up so we can get from "here to there" without a car.

If I wanted to take public transporation from my home to work, I'd need to leave my house at 3 AM, and of course there aren't buses running at that time.

BTW.... I think oil costs like $.05 to get out of the ground...all the rest is profit, transporation and taxes.

Yep I live in Orange County and it is brutal! If I want to get somewhere I have to drive. I can take the bus if I want to wait around all day, pay more, and hang out with mastrubating bums but as appealing as that sounds, I stick to driving.

I read that prices are higher here in California than Alaska and Hawaii now. What's up with that?

By the way I walked to school from 5th grade till my senior year in high school when I got my license. I walked with friends and preferred it to hitching a ride with mom.

Gas would have to go up pretty bad around here before I take the bus again. I'm not trying to be snotty or anything but the busses around here are essentially ghettomobiles. People who have to take the bus typically know what I mean.

Archived