Gibson Brands Forums

Not your grandpa's Melody Makers

WahKeen

Me too...

I find it interesting that regardless of body shape, the headstock is the same.

Actually it looks like a pretty good deal. I think the MM was $125 or so when I was getting into buying electric guitars and I though it was too pricey for what it was. I think now that was an error in my head some 45+ years ago.

Since a lotta "rockers" only play with the bridge pup anyway, it's not a bad deal and you get a "real Gibson" with a set neck for a pretty decent price. I've no need personally for such a guitar, so I'm not likely to be a customer. But...

Also I think a 2nd pickup could be modded in one way or another, although Gibbie has some dual pickup jobbies already at pretty reasonable price points if you don't insist on a shiny finish.

<grin> It's also odd to me that some would complain about a non-shiny finish since in many other areas of equipment a shiny finish is often taken as the stuff for amateurs and the pros got the more plain finish that wouldn't show the scars as much...

m

The thing is, these look like a good buy for the money. Ain't my thing, but if I were to recommend an electric to somebody really working on a brighter sound and wanting a pretty good machine to do it with, I think these would fit.

m

Matt...

I think you just hit a super market segment for this series of guitars.

I also agree that the Explorer is very nice looking. Not my schtick, but it's something I'd feel comfortable recommending for somebody wanting that sort of instrument.

Yeah, I'm a two-pickup guy too. I remember back when 3 seemed to be the "right" thing, but it's interesting how that seems to be a very small market segment in comparison, perhaps excluding the Strat design which almost has its own market segment per se.

We'll likely hear some feedback, but it appears these will be relatively bright sounding.

m

Hey, seriously...

Pardon what's probably age-induced ignorance, but what's wrong with the fretboards?

And I don't see anything else "wrong," but then... you should see some of the stuff I've seen over the years, so these look pretty good even though I'm obviously not really a likely buyer.

????

With proper setup, I don't think I'd feel bad being seen on stage with any of 'em for kinda a bluesy gig, although I'll admit I'd likely have problems feeling physically comfortable with the V.

m

Milod...I think they're referring to the color of the fretboards.

They're a bit on the light side. But, who knows, what the actual

shipped guitars will have. Probably vary, like most others. I

prefer dark fingerboards, myself. Love the ones on the '50's and

60's Tribute LP Studios...especially the nice dark ones, on the

Gold-Tops.

CB

OK...

They look nice, but can anyone provide a link to the page where these are listed, for those who don't get MF's emails?

I mean, it's possible that I was searching wrong, but I couldn't find it through Google or the MF website. Anyone?

I went to MF and searched for Melody Maker

Archived