Gibson Brands Forums

Custom goodness

Tim Plains

Got me another one - 2010 R7BB this time. Still early on but good so far. 8.68 lbs on my digital scale. The '68 is 9.45 lbs. It's stock. I'll probably swap the electronics eventually but I'll enjoy it as is for now. Reflectors and a creme switch tip are on the way.

lpcs2.jpg

lpcs1.jpg

lpcs3.jpg

lpcs4.jpg

Hey R9, you stated your gonna replace the electronics in your CS and may I ask with what? I've changed most of my guitars capacitors, with either orange drops or Paper Oil caps, and have swapped out the pots on my Minarik for CTS...Does Gibson make subpar pots, and is it worth it to upgrade em"? I know on USA models the capacitor's suck, but have no clue about the pot quality. Sorry that's off topic but am curious...Great look'n BB you got there!

Hey R9, you stated your gonna replace the electronics in your CS and may I ask with what? I've changed most of my guitars capacitors, with either orange drops or Paper Oil caps, and have swapped out the pots on my Minarik for CTS...Does Gibson make subpar pots, and is it worth it to upgrade em"? I know on USA models the capacitor's suck, but havn't been sure about the pot quality. Sorry Off topic

Actually, pot quality has gone up a lot........:unsure: ..

Cheers guys.

Really liking it so far. It's mellow. Warm/bassy neck pickup that's not muddy and the bridge has less sting (in a good way). I've played a few other R7BBs that were really bright and/or sounded like any other historic. Not this one. Sounds exactly like I'd expect an all mahogany Custom to sound.

rocket, bought it used. I traded my PRS Custom 22 plus some cash.

AXE...no, I'm loving your Custom! I need it...LOL. Any plans (mods) for it?

Have they? I don't know, and am just seeing if there good quality pots. Im gonna change out the caps in my LP Traditional and was wondering whether or not to go ahead and swap the pots out as well.

Chase, they're supposed to be 500k pots and aftermarket pots have tighter tolerances. + or - 10%. The stock pots are more all over the place. If I recall correctly, one of the stock pots on my 2008 R8 was about 410k. The replacement pots I have in my R8 are all 520k - 530k.

This Custom will get CTS pots and Luxe Bumblebees from either RS Guitar or Retrospec. I've only bought from RS. Even Gibson Custom Shop caps suck. They only look like Bumblebee caps but they're not paper in oil caps like the real Bees are.

Is it worth upgrading your pots? Hard question for me to answer. What kind of LP do you have? '68RIs have Gibson USA pots/caps. I initially replaced just those on mine and it made a huge difference.

Chase, slow down - I can't keep up! LOL

In a Traditional, yeah, I would replace them. Yours has 300k volume pots. 500k pots can really bring the pickups to life but it comes down to each guitar. You might swap them and not notice much/any improvement or you might say wow.

Chase, slow down - I can't keep up! LOL

In a Traditional, yeah, I would replace them. Yours has 300k volume pots. 500k pots can really bring the pickups to life but it comes down to each guitar. You might swap them and not notice much/any improvement or you might say wow.

Thanks alot R9..You answered my question's to a tee. When I changed all the electronics in my Minarik (and reverted the pups back to passive) I was blown away...Even with the cap changes, I noticed a pretty significant change, since I'm constantly manipulating the tone knob...Thanks Again for the wise advice, and good luck with your new Beauty!

Have they? I don't know, and am just seeing if there good quality pots. Im gonna change out the caps in my LP Traditional and was wondering whether or not to go ahead and swap the pots out as well.

Um, ...........:unsure: [crying][scared] .................Chase, yes, what R9 says is always correct, accurate, and good advise............

Pot quality does vary greatly............Um, ah, [sneaky] :unsure: ........

Archived