Gibson Brands Forums

My New J 45

G McBride

Well my guitar finally arrived. Packed good and received in good condition.

Tuned it up and played a while and thought that the neck had way too much relief so I pulled the truss rod cover and the nut wasn't even snug. I could turn it with my fingers so made an adjustment to snug it up and take out some of the relief. Results are fantastic and the guitar plays super now.

Here is a picture from my phone just so I don't here the noise from you guys.

08J45Front.jpg

Beautiful, congratulations, fantastic to hear she's sounding great, and definitely looking great !

Let us know how she stacks up against the Songwriter, I think you will find they will complement each other really well. I love playing with my SJ and then moving to the SWD, the grin just never goes away :-)

The only suggestions i would have is potentially to change the tuners to the butter beans, although it looks good as it is anyway.

Oh, and if its not a problem for you, play her with 13's makes a world of difference compared to 12's in terms of tone.

I noticed there is a strap button on the neck heel. Did the dealer install this for you? And regarding the small white button plastic tuners, I do think the lighter tuners improve tone. But a lot of people like the Grovers.... Nice guitar!!

Thanks for all the comments. The strap button was on the guitar when I bought it. I bought this guitar off of ebay a couple of weeks ago and am just getting it today. Long story on the wait but the decision was mutual between seller and myself.

Truss rod nut was loose. The guitar was excellent once I adjusted the rod tension and tuned it up. Guitar sounds great. Not sure what strings are on it now but I'll let it settle in to our climate and readjust the truss rod and put some new strings on it.

I like grover tuners so doubt that I will switch them out for button tuners.

Gill

Ok, I have given this guitar a day to acclimate and all of my adjustments seem to be just fine. Nice low action for acoustic and it sounds fantastic.

Just ran through Mother - Pink Floyd, Handle With Care - Traveling Wilburys and Black Wings - Ray Wilie Hubbard. This guitar makes me sound good and makes me play better.

If you don't have a J 45, you ought to try one on for size.

Came home and played the SWD a while. I really love the sound I get from it. When I play chords on the SWD, I get a lot of harmonic overtones and it just sings. You have a lot more of the midrange tones ringing out.

When I play the J45 I have a much more predominant bass. The J45 kind of barks and growls and the SWD sings like angles. I can't wait to get together with a buddy and jam using both of these guitars together. Should sound pretty full.

I like the sound of both of these guitars, I am glad that I have the chance to own two different Gibson Acoustics.

The J45 kind of barks and growls and the SWD sings like angles.

Thats a great way of expressing the difference, I feel the same about my SWD and SJ. Both great guitars in their own respect.

(although the SWD is very much capable of a good growl also when she wants to, especially plugged in)

Here is a picture from the back. This guitar had a strap button on it when I bought it used. If I were to have done it, I would have moved it to the back of the heal where it would not get in the way of playing the higher frets. Most of the time this is not an issue but if you played higher on the neck a lot, you would be upset with the positioning.

08J45Back.jpg

Hey GM.. congrats!!!! Beautiful! Does it still have 'that new car smell' ? I wish Gibson sold a pump aerosol with that. I would spray my 2 Gibbys.... and my old Dodge Truck!

Even better though - as you pointed out - having two different accoustic Gibbys to compare and contrast. I think it expands your musical ability more than double!

Archived