Gibson Brands Forums

Where Are You Really From?

Duende

Two questions, but one that I am sure will open up cans of worms...

(disclaimer, I use the example below to show a glaringly obvious example of someone who is 'foreign' - I use that term loosely too)

1. Do you find yourself, when meeting someone for the first time, that looks (in your perspective) foreign, thinking of them as someone who is from a different country, or do you straight away think of them as from where they are born...i.e a fellow countryman. e.g it is their ethos and behaviour that define them as a citizen of your country and not where they are from?

2. For people who look like what you would regard as, as non foreign, when you find out their family are say for example Italian or Welsh. Do you view them as Italian or Welsh; or again like the above, as fellow countrymen because they live where you do etc?

I know there are flaws in this, but personally I find myself thinking of the person's families origin, as where they are from. I know strictly there is (probably) no such a thing as a 100 percent indigenous race for any country - and even if there were, we would find it hard to get a 100 percent accurate picture. But, for example; if I know a country's civilisation is 1000's of years old, then I tend to think a lot of the evolutional traits customs etc have had ample time to become a part of that persons being and a generation living in a other country doesn't take that, or does it?

Under this criteria, after my parents, I am Welsh/Celtic for the last several hundred years so this to me is who I am heritage wise. If I live in New Zealand and have kids that have kids that would still be who they have been for hundreds or perhaps thousands of years...or would they?

Matt

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am of the opinion that a lot of our 'makeup' has been distilled through the gene-pool over the centuries.

And, just speaking about my own case, I find that the Celtic angle in particular is very strong indeed.

In the near past (last 150 years, say) it so happens that I'm 3/4 Scottish with 1/4 Irish blood. About 700 years before that it would have been all-Irish. Before that it would have been Nordic/Scandinavian. Before that etc...etc...etc...

In the 24 years I've lived in London, England, almost all of the people who have become my closest friends have turned out to have Celtic roots. My wife, as it turned out, is from French/Spanish Celtic stock - and Basque/Catalan at that; a heady mixture by any standards. Our daughter, who is English, has therefore a mix of Scottish, Irish, French and Spanish genes and it comes as no surprise to us that she shows remarkably strong 'Celtic' leanings.

Briton-wise I have found those with what would be considered to be a fundamentally Anglo-Saxon heritage to exhibit different behavioural characteristics as compared to those who are essentially Anglo-Celt. There is just something inherently different in the two natures.

Even when travelling in Europe I find I have much more simpatico with those countries which have had a Celtic history than, say, those coutries which are more Germanic or Slavic in origin.

P.

I am of the opinion that a lot of our 'makeup' has been distilled through the gene-pool over the centuries.

And, just speaking about my own case, I find that the Celtic angle in particular is very strong indeed.

In the near past (last 150 years, say) it so happens that I'm 3/4 Scottish with 1/4 Irish blood. About 700 years before that it would have been all-Irish. Before that it would have been Nordic/Scandinavian. Before that etc...etc...etc...

In the 24 years I've lived in London, England, almost all of the people who have become my closest friends have turned out to have Celtic roots. My wife, as it turned out, is from French/Spanish Celtic stock - and Basque/Catalan at that; a heady mixture by any standards. Our daughter, who is English, has therefore a mix of Scottish, Irish, French and Spanish genes and it comes as no surprise to us that she shows remarkably strong 'Celtic' leanings.

Briton-wise I have found those with what would be considered to be a fundamentally Anglo-Saxon heritage to exhibit different behavioural characteristics as compared to those who are essentially Anglo-Celt. There is just something inherently different in the two natures.

Even when travelling in Europe I find I have much more simpatico with those countries which have had a Celtic history than, say, those coutries which are more Germanic or Slavic in origin.

P.

thanks Pippy, that was a fascinating reply.

I have this for you....I was particularly interested as I have long felt I was Spanish! I really connect musically to the culture there, always find making friends with Spanish people very easy and get spoken to in Spain in Spanish by locals who assume I am one of them (****!!! I wish i could swap their football team's for England LMAO)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/celts-descended-from-spanish-fishermen-study-finds-416727.html

I am American, from Boston. My mother is second generation American. Her mother was Polish her father was Russian. My Father was 2nd generation American, stemming from English, Irish, Scottish and German roots. So I am a typical American with a healthy mixture of bloods. I have been living in Spain for the past 18 years. I do not feel like a foreigner at all but I'm sure there are plenty, if not all or most, that think of me that way... So I am an American living in Spain. Oley!!

Edit: I guess that didn't really answer the question at hand... I think people have roots but there is a time factor involved so lots of time living in an area will make a person take on an identity from that area. When I meet someone I assume they are from the area unless there is something physical that clearly marks them as foreign. After that an accent would mark them as being foreign but that doesn't affect my opinion of who or what kind of person they are....

Well, I'm going to start off by saying a have a swedish last name, one that also happens to be an SI unit for nuclear radiation.

But I only try to judge people on the fact that they're a person, I could care less who your father was, who are you? I'm not going to try to hide behind a heritage and be proud of it, I didn't do those things, my fathers before me did. I can't control what my heritage is so I don't really care about it.

When I look at a person I see just that, a person, man or woman, black or white, fat or skinny, all get my respect equally until they do something to either boost or lower that respect.

P.S. Matt, I'm going to say this now because it's inevitable, I came from my mother. [biggrin]

Well, I'm going to start off by saying a have a swedish last name, one that also happens to be an SI unit for nuclear radiation.

But I only try to judge people on the fact that they're a person, I could care less who your father was, who are you? I'm not going to try to hide behind a heritage and be proud of it, I didn't do those things, my fathers before me did. I can't control what my heritage is so I don't really care about it.

When I look at a person I see just that, a person, man or woman, black or white, fat or skinny, all get my respect equally until they do something to either boost or lower that respect.

P.S. Matt, I'm going to say this now because it's inevitable, I came from my mother. [biggrin]

I agree with you on all counts! but want to point out at this moment in the thread, that my interest in human being's back grounds, is akin to an amateur genealogist or arm chair anthropologist. I think it is easy to confuse this interest; with something completely different, which is people using back grounds as bench marks for how they rate them. My personal rating system (if that is the right turn of phrase :) ) is just that - personal - ie I take people as I find.

I hope that doesn't read as rude, because I completely see your point/s and would write the same, if I felt the slightest inkiling that the thread was about the 'other' thing, which would be prejudice and judging entire ethnic groups, nations on what spiritually speaking are mere superficialities - ie how someone looks are what country they are from and does that make them bad or good (n.b spiritually is to be interpreted literally or as a metaphor for our personalities)

Matt

Sorry Matt, It was early in the morning and I wasn't reading right. [biggrin] As I said I've got a Swedish last name with lots of German and Canadian French.

No problem. I could just start picturing the Gibson forum imaging me turning up to classical guitar recitals with a burning cross attached to my headstock LOL

What can I say to insult a Swede anyway in return! You tolerant, good natured, easy going nice ****! msp_flapper.gif

Matt

I used to be from Kansas, but I am not in Kansas anymore.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder where that guy came from. I see some old guy looking back at my young mind, wondering what the hell happened. I don't have the time or desire for wondering about anyone else.

I am at the stage where I wonder where am I really going.

They say that your heritage is in your DNA. I am English, Scottish (Wallace clan), and French, although my family heritage in the US can be traced back at least 150 years. I have the arrogance of a Frenchman, I drink like an Englishman, and I have the stench of a Scotsman. [thumbup]

Well. I was born in Aston, Birmingham, England and have lived in birmingham all my life. But my father is from Newcastle (Geordie) and I feel drawn to the north. I love the Geordie accent. I like the people and the slower way of life. If I came into money I';d move up north.

So, I believe it's in the genes.

On the subject matter. I always think of where people come from, but more so, what class they are. As I find more and more people with money look down on you in this country. I believe we're going back to Victorian values. Grammar is getting dreadful and it's seperating the classes.

I would need to put a little more time/thought into the OP before I could give my opinion of the matter, but for now, I'll just mention that this reminds me of an email I received recently from National Geographic.

In a nutshell, through some research group's affiliation with N.G., you could pay to have your DNA traced back to your bloodline's origins. I believe the cost was about $100.00, and once paid, they sent you a kit to provide your own anonymous DNA sample. Your sample would then be analyzed and then placed into their database for their own research purposes, but you also received an analysis specific to you. I was seriously tempted to do this, as I think it's fascinating.

It wasn't something that traced your lineage back a couple hundred years. It traced it back thousands. Before countries were countries.

I still may...

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/lan/en/participate.html

The short answer is no, I do not judge folks by appearance unless they are dressed in the garb of their native country. I DO, however, judge folks origins by how they sound. If they speak with a thick accent, I assume they were born elsewhere. ( Likely just because I still believe in "The Great Melting Pot".)

I do not consider myself to be Irish, though my wife's research shows that is my heritage.

I am an American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God.

:D

I would need to put a little more time/thought into the OP before I could give my opinion of the matter, but for now, I'll just mention that this reminds me of an email I received recently from National Geographic.

In a nutshell, through some rearch group's affiliation with N.G., you could pay to have your DNA traced back to your bloodline's origins. I believe the cost was about $100.00, and once paid, they sent you a kit to provide your own anonymous DNA sample. Your sample would then be analyzed and then placed into their database for their own research purposes, but you also received an analysis specific to you. I was seriously tempted to do this, as I think it's fascinating.

It wasn't something that traced your lineage back a couple hundred years. It traced it back thousands. Before countries were countries.

Slight derail...

that is cheaper than an international subscription to Ancestry.com.... AND someone else does the work :)!

Interesting thread. I try not to judge people at all, but if I do, its based on how they act in public or treat other people. I've noticed a considerable lack of consideration for fellow humans in the past 15 or so years. Its probably been going on longer, but maybe it has something to do with moving to the city after having grown up in the country.

Anyway, I'm a second gen American. My father's side of the family is Scotish from, i believe, the border area, so there may be some English mixed in. My mother's side of the family is Maltese. Her maiden name goes back to around 330 A.D. I'd like to get more info on it, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.

My last name is Welsh, and my mothers side of the family I think is mostly German in origin. I've never traced any lineage back to Europe though.

Plus, I was adopted at age 3 months and really have no idea about my blood line. Maybe that's why I've never worried much or judged people by their ethnic or geographic backgrounds. I just might be one of them! Although I do find it interesting to learn the history of people who come from different places than I do.

Also, having never been raised in any kind of strong ethnic setting, I find it kind of curious when I see other Americans who seem to identify more with their past heritage than they do with their current status as "American" even if they've never even lived in their "homeland" so to speak. I guess because I have no connection to one particular culture or race, I tend to "side" with other people based on my opinion of what's right or wrong more so than whether or not they come from the same place I do.

On the subject matter. I always think of where people come from, but more so, what class they are. As I find more and more people with money look down on you in this country. I believe we're going back to Victorian values. Grammar is getting dreadful and it's seperating the classes.

Hi Lashurst

I know this happens, but I wonder if it happens to the extent those who feel looked down upon on think it does i.e is it sometimes people seeing the worst in something.

An example is my my mum's side of the family are all from Liverpool. When my parents go and see them (it has always been the same) they are constantly doing down "southerners" and saying "Londoners thinking they are so special", "everyone down south hates the North and looks down on them" , we down south are a cold mean bunch and have it in for them etc. For my soft natured mum and dad It makes visiting very wearing and difficult. It gets to the stage that you cannot change their view so you just have to endure it. It is so sad as they get along apart from this and where they are from is neither here nor there to them!

In truth most of don't think anything bad! In London we have a population of c.60 million, that is 75 percent of the entire country. The term 'multi cultural' is still an understatementmsp_scared.gif in describing the people living in London. Most of us living here are so used to a cross section of people, accents, nationalities, I don't think class crosses people's nearly as much as people think.

Matt

My answer is, yes, and yes......It is human nature, whenever meeting another human; to judge them, to size them up, and have thoughts on who they are, as a person,

and where they are from, including genetic origin.......Regardless of one's genetic makeup, race, etc etc, I take into account one's ethnicicity because it shapes who

they are and how they live and operate, and view the world.........I take into consideration one's country of loyalty, as that also influences how one thinks and operates

culturally as well..........As such, I view a French woman of Vietnamese origin as a French woman of Vietamese origin: A Swedish man of Cuban desent a Swedish

man of Cuban origin etc etc etc...........I was adopted from Germany, raised around the world, and I consider myself an American of Germanic origin......................

I also consider myself a Euro ex-pat, because I should have never been removed from Germany....................

I also view another person as another person, and I size up, IMO, if that person is a good person, or is not.................

Two questions, but one that I am sure will open up cans of worms...

Matt

I'm 1st generation American, born in California, raised in NYC and now live in the south.

1 town up from me is Cary NC and the folks around here call it "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" [rolleyes]

I'm 1st generation American, born in California, raised in NYC and now live in the south.

1 town up from me is Cary NC and the folks around here call it "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" [rolleyes]

Have you tried to find out if you can go back any further?

Matt

I'm European.

If that sounds weird then let me explain.

I was born in Lisbon, Portugal but moved to Belgium when I was 12, studied in the UK and then moved back to Portugal.

My friends are spread all over the world, though most throughout Europe.

I do not feel Portuguese (except when I support my football team or the national football team).

Other than that, I don't identify at all.

I grew up with people from all over the world, mostly europeans but in my school in Brussels we had people from 28 different countries.

I am perfectly fluent in Portuguese, English and French, understand Spanish without problems, speak little Dutch and German and I'll be able to read Italian (but I won't be able to speak it though).

There are things about me that are Portuguese, others are very German (I have quite a few German friends), others are French, Belgium, Dutch, Spanish and English.

Essentially I'm a mixture of cultures and backgrounds and I love that.

I can mingle with most people and relate to them and where they come from.

My only concern for someone from a different country or background is if I can speak their language and make them feel more confortable.

But at the end of the day I am European, and proud of it.

My family name came apparently from somewhere in England roughly in 1690 into New England.

After that mostly intermarriage with the same excluding at least one individual with a bit of Amerind as far as I can tell.

Since 1860 add some German, then German Swiss as "we" came to the U.S. Northern Plains. Nobody in the family was a big deal for either good or ill.

Culturally I'd say mostly around here there are heavy overtones of northern European behaviors - e.g., speaking distances in terms of "personal space," etc. As for me... I can read a bit of western European languages, both of Latin and Germanic background, but that's about it.

So... take that as you will.

m

Archived