Gibson Brands Forums

do you wear braces?

S t e v e

I had tooth-braces as a nipper and they were a right pain-in-the-ar..., erm, mouth to endure.

'Suspenders' With my cycle-shorts. Essential kit if you want to avoid "nappy rash".

p.

I had my jaw wired shut for 5 weeks after a motorcycle crash...that sucked...

Damn. Did you lose a lot of weight? I bet. Had a friend who went through that. Said it was absolutely the worst time of his life.

Glad you made it through J.

I worked in a 24-hour diner in Baton Rouge, LA where a guy came in in the middle of the night with his jaw wired shut (he brought a big fat wide straw though). He ordered a 1/2 lb. cheese burger with a giant loaded baked potato (well our version was with a ton of big chinky hashbrowns but you get the idea). He got everything pureed together in a blender. The server had to dilute it somehow, I don't remember.

Damn. Did you lose a lot of weight? I bet. Had a friend who went through that. Said it was absolutely the worst time of his life.

Glad you made it through J.

The impact broke my jaw on both sides right at the mandible joints, actually pushed my jaw straight back ripping the joints apart, it was a come to Jesus experience...no doubt about it. I looked like a over ripe banana for about a month, black and blue from head to toe, broken ribs, severed one side of my lower lip, under went multiple reconstruction surgeries, all the crowns of my teeth had to be grinded so they would mesh when I chewed, that took several months. The three broken ribs and lacerated liver was scary, as were the three ruptured disc in my spine..all this because a guy in a Dodge van did a U-turn right into my path, I was going 50mph, he waited till I was about 25 feet away from him. My bike, a Yamaha RD-350 looked like a pretzel, the front forks were bent under the bike till the front wheel was next to the rear wheel...And no, I don't ride anymore....I still have to wear a brace at night to prevent my jaw from locking open.....

Signed....Mr. Lucky!

And my grandson wonders why I don't want him to ride..

Archived