Gibson Brands Forums

My New Guitar is here :) :)

Duende

I am loving it so, so much! My wife is learning the bass to songs and we have our first gypsy jazz gig next month playing at a garden party :) I am going to play the rhythm parts into my digitech JamMan and my wife and I will play over it...

I feel I have Gypsy blood in me LOL!! I may speak with an English accent, but I find Spanish guitar music and gypsy jazz, two styles I feel drawn towards. There are a lot of cross over techniques in classical, flamenco and gypsy jazz too which is great!

So thanks again for the well wishes and yes it is a superbly made guitar!

Matt

I, too, am glad it got posted here. I never visit the acoustic room and, had not Simon been around earlier this morning I'd never have known about the new arrival.

Absolutely beautiful and I really, REALLY mean that. I'm also glad for the guitar itself as I know it will be played in the manner it fully deserves!

If your ears were burning about an hour ago it was because we were talking about you...LOL!

I've asked elsewhere a few moments ago but as you're here I'll ask again if (I may); what type of strings are you using? Silk-and-Steels? And what gauge(s)?

P.

I, too, am glad it got posted here. I never visit the acoustic room and, had not Simon been around earlier this morning I'd never have known about the new arrival.

Absolutely beautiful and I really, REALLY mean that. I'm also glad for the guitar itself as I know it will be played in the manner it fully deserves!

If your ears were burning about an hour ago it was because we were talking about you...LOL!

I've asked elsewhere a few moments ago but as you're here I'll ask again if (I may); what type of strings are you using? Silk-and-Steels? And what gauge(s)?

P.

Ha ha! They are all steel and they are a light set of D'addarrio gypsy jazz strings. I have always loved thick picks on electric but my new gypsy jazz pick is huge!!

Matt

Ha ha! They are all steel and they are a light set of D'addarrio gypsy jazz strings. I have always loved thick picks on electric but my new gypsy jazz pick is huge!!

Matt

Cheers, Matt. PM sent...

P.

Look at Shred Flinstone go!!! :)

Again Matt, beautiful guitar and amazing playing!!

LMAO!!!! You are great at play on words Shred! Actually Re the subject of shred, I am very inspired teaching wise with this style too, because many kids associate speed/virtuosic playing with Malmsteen, Satch etc...ie the electric guitar...So to be able to introduce a style that can be as fast and off the wall as you like, yet be on an acoustic instrument is great!

Matt

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Looks and sounds fantastic, Matt. Congratulations. Has the Mrs got over finding the receipt yet (I think that was you and this guitar?)

And I REALLY want to see you work on that 22nd fret on the high E!

We're droolin' here......

Even better; if it's crafted to the same specs as this one...

Django.jpg

then it has a full two-octave - 24 fret 'board up there in the tree-tops...

P.

EDIT : I've just looked again and I think Matt's has a 23-fret neck. Is this correct? :-k

Matt

Cool instrument [thumbup]

I like the trapeze tailpiece [thumbup] ..... I was wondering if the bridge is fixed or does it float? I've been looking for a nylon string trapeze bridge guitar. but they are very difficult to find [confused]

Matt

Cool instrument [thumbup]

I like the trapeze tailpiece [thumbup] ..... I was wondering if the bridge is fixed or does it float? I've been looking for a nylon string trapeze bridge guitar. but they are very difficult to find [confused]

Hi Duane, yes, Roy makes these too. You may already know this, but the early Macafferri guitars were actually nylon strung (I was quit surprised to find out!) Here is his site, take a look [thumbup]http://www.royaljazzguitars.co.uk/

My guitar is based on a 1934 Selmar 350 model. I asked foe the back and sides to be walnut for an extra 'snap' in the sound.

Matt

Wow Matt..Very impressive...Very unique playing, but extremely well done..That acoustic, is a work of art, I love the special designed sound hole, and I bet it has a booming voice! Great purchase, and exquisite playing Matt!

Matt,

I love the guitar. She is beautiful.

But you really need to learn how to play better before you post a video here. Come one, you are an amateur among professionals [as I head out to sell my guitars and take up needlepoint with Danvillrob ].

Matt...

Does it have that interior "shelf" that some of the Macs had, or regular body?

What are string gauges?

Do you plan to play it strictly fingerstyle at all or with the plectrum?

Yup... very nice playing but I expected nothing less.

m

Hi Duane, yes, Roy makes these too. You may already know this, but the early Macafferri guitars were actually nylon strung (I was quit surprised to find out!) Here is his site, take a look [thumbup]http://www.royaljazzguitars.co.uk/

My guitar is based on a 1934 Selmar 350 model. I asked foe the back and sides to be walnut for an extra 'snap' in the sound.

Matt

The prices are very very reasonable [thumbup] .... I'm gonna have to give him a ring.... Thnaks for the info

Hi Duane

I think he has decided with the recession to freeze the prices on things too which is pretty decent of him!

Hi Milo

Do you mean the option of the sound box thingy?

No it doesnt't have that in it. I suppose my reasoning was when I am practising I didn't want it to be overly loud and for when I do want it loud I can plug into my acoustic amp as I had him put a pick up on it instead.

The strings are 0.10 light gypsy jazz strings. I will use both fingers and pick but for the rapid lead style I have found pick works so much better!

Matt

Yeah, I was wondering about the sound box dealie...

For what it's worth on technical grounds, I think your decision to have the AE amplification is best.

I dunno about the plectrum. I haven't used one since I quit doing country/rock around 1980. I think if I went back to doing that sort of thing I might consider using one again for cross-picking but...

And you're obviously faster, more accurate and sound better than I me regardless how you do it!

(Parenthetically I may give a shot some day at a rounded-type thumbpick. It appears Chet Atkins used one for "flatpicking" while having the interesting option of doing either/or flat and fingerpicking in the middle of a piece. Never tried it myself since when I've used a thumb pick, it was the sharp-pointed type used commonly by banjo pickers.)

m

Archived