Gibson Brands Forums

Marshall solid state?

LarryUK

Good points Jocko - Also there are some high end amps like the Roland Jazz Chorus which are solid state.

For teaching purposes I am tempted just to get decent SS amp. I love my valves amps but just want an amp that I can just use at low volumes and have no hassle from I.e valve replacements Etc.

Matt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SS amps make great practice amps, but the tone and bite starts to fade away after about 30 minutes, especially if the amp is turned up......... Also the solid state amps I've tried (Randall and Peavey) don't cut through at all, especially if you play in a band that plays loud.

I currently have 4 tube amp and two solid state amps. The rig I'm using most of the time these days is a Line6 Pod2.0 into the effects return on a 60W Crate SS Amp. Versatile, great tone at any volume and as much as they think they can.... folks can't really tell the difference.

You havent played through a decent amp have you? My Tech21 Trademark 60 can do anything a tube can and then some. The clean channels have pre and post gain controls as does the lead channel. The Trademark 60 from their web site is 700.00 for a 60 watt combo; and this is the amp I have been bragging about for years. The preamp structure acts just like a tube amp; back off the guitar gain and it cleans up very nicely. Also the lead channel does not go chainsaw distortion tone; it sounds really nice and there is more control over this amp than almost any other SS I have ever played through. I have played through the Roland Jazz 120 2X12 and it was a great amp except the lead channel just wasn't there for playing or recording. These Tech21 amps are really nice and well worth the cost and I suggest for those here; if you get a chance sit in front of of Tech21; or any other nice SS Amps. I also agree with the fact that 95% of the people here or elsewhere can not tell the difference if they do not know what amp was used to record or play live. My JMD has tubes in it although it also has a digital processing unit within the preamp. Yet playing live or practice people swear its the best sounding tube amp Marshall has ever made; I just don't tell them its also a hybrid amp. If that isn't proof people have no clue, and these are musicians in my area who come to my shows to hear the amp or stop by at practice.

I have not played through a Tech21 amp.

All I'm saying is that there are of course going to be exceptions to every rule, but 99% of the time, if its a solid state amp, it will only sound good really clean or really dirty.

For me, I like tubes. No ifs and or buts. For 700, I can get a vintage Silverface 70s Fender Twin Reverb. Cleans for days, and good tone.

I understand you like em, but some people just like tubes [cool]

I gotta disagree On the SS and even on the Tech21 being so great, I own quite a few amps including a Tech21 Trademark 30 while it's a good amp maybe even a very good amp (especially for the cost) that I bought as a practice amp that I could haul around without worrying about tubes, it does that great, it sounds pretty good and it seems almost indestructible so far. But it sure doesn't have the warmth or tone of any good tube amp not even close. And it really falls apart at high volume when pushed too hard or if you try to compare them to a great tube amp Like my Slo100. or even the 18 Watts on my Marshall 74

With RESPECT for your tone and abilties (I heard your stuff on the other thread):

I'm gonna stick my dogs in the fight here-and first say that to spite FUZZBALLS "limeted" experience, he nails it. He DOES have a decent amp, and he speaks the truth about the Twin.

I think you are a little overboard with the praise of SS. I think you NAILED it with "decent" and "nice" in your assesment. The Line-6 may be good, and it may be versatile, but lets look past it and get to GREAT.

By great, I don't mean a BLUES DELUXE or JUNIOR, or a Deluxe Reverb reissue, all OK for the money, but not great by any means. Spend some time with a vintage blackfaced FENDER, a vintage tweed, OR a Victoria. Or, how about a Marshall JMP, JTM, or JCM (not reissue, but a real one.

I don't mean to be a snob, but I speak from experience. You CAN tell a BIG difference, and so can the crowd and the average person.

I don't think anyone has ever called me fuzzballs before...

Especially since they aren't.................[flapper][scared][crying] :unsure: ...

SilverFace Fenders have a FLAW built into them......Do you know what it is ?????

I own SS amps, Tube amps, and hybrids............and a lot of them.......................

I prefer tube amps....If I can't use a tube amp, I'll use a valve amp......

If I'm not using a tube or valve amp, I'm using DSP chip and/or computer

software to " emulate " tube amps.......I, as a real musician, won't use

SS amps live........

Guitarist I'm glad you have such a strong positive feeling for your Tech21 that's great, I think it's great you found what works for you I'm glad your happy but let others have there own opinions also.

I have a friend that is always doing this same kind of Poll with me he sends his friends recordings of vinyl albums and MP3's and dares us to tell him which is which? I usually tell him the same thing I'll say here. When you make a crappy flat digital recording, compress it enough to post it on the internet and play it back through the $2.00 speaker on my notebook and I can't tell the difference between a MP3 and the live Philharmonic.

Stand in the same room and the average person off the street could pick out the difference. Thats pretty much the same story on Amps.

And with respect I have 30 years of experience also; all I am trying to say here is its up to the individuals ears although dont sell anything short without at least trying it. I disagree that the crowd or even the musicians can tell the difference with the quality of the better built amps; be it tube, SS or modeling. So I offer to you or anyone else good luck with being able to tell the difference with out prior knowledge.

I DO tip my hat to a lot of SS amps, and also a lot of affordable ones as well. I have to also say I tip my hat to the tone you get as well.

But I have to maintain strongly that there big differences in quality between the "average" affordable and the best of the best. Sure, you aren't going to get your average person and ask them out of the blue if they can tell you are playing a cheaper amp or a tone monster; but if you play them BOTH side by side, the differences are more than minor that anyone can say "this is better".

Obviously, they guy using the amp HAS to know what he is doing. You aren't going to take a great JTM 100 watt stack to a small bar and put a bunch of crap pedals picked at random and automatically have it sound good. A guy who uses a Line-6 and knows how to use it will do better (I think you have proven that).

I just want to point out, DON'T SELL A GREAT AMP SHORT. If a clean with great reverb at the brink of overdrive is what you want, a Deluxe Reverb with a original Jensen is going to justify the 2500 bucks or so, and a reissue or a modeling amp will not come close. Neither do the VOX reissues for under a grand come near the magic of the originals, or even the better built ones.

My buddy just restored a 57 BASSMAN, left it here for a week. I promise you, even if you modeled it, playing the model would leave you short of nearly everything it has to offer. I seriously doubt there is a SS that would match the fullness, clarity, and color of the cleans, and no pedal or pre-amp that gets the mean and bark when it is cranked. And that is just ONE amp.

Guitarest I think you could really benefit from not being so condescending to people who disagree with you. They're entitled to their opinion just as much as you are and they have plenty of opportunities to be condescending to you but refrain. It's just simple manners.

I think retro and stein pretty much nailed it. But really, who cares about the means how bout you just use what sounds good to you. I guess I just find that good tube amps generally sound really good to me and solid state amps generally don't. Not really a big deal...

I have a digital pedal that is one of my absolute favorite pieces of gear ever. Some people say analog delay is the only way to go.. I don't really care I like the way my digital delay sounds and I'm not gonna bash you for what you like or don't like either way.

I guess what I'm saying is tube or solid state doesn't really matter. It's just whatever sound that works for you. And don't be mean to people and assume they don't know what they're talking about because they don't share the same opinion as you.

Personally I dont like Solid State. I have tried all the "big" brands and Even a HRD eats them up. I tried to save money and go with the SS. All you end up doing is eventually upgrading to a Valve style amp. Sorry Tube Style ( I forgot my English ;P) it ends up costing you more than you saved. My advice is save up and get what sounds right to you but never settle for second best thats how GAS comes about.

I really want one of these as my next big amp purchase (for jazz and blues)

It is a solid state Roland Jazz chorus combo. A lot of jazzers prefer solid state to valve and they aint cheap either - about £800 ($1200 MF price). I just want to mention jazz because the arguments so far all seem to be centred around rock guitar choices.

56840_p.jpg

It is a solid state Roland Jazz chorus combo. A lot of jazzers prefer solid state to valve and they aint cheap either - about £800 ($1200 MF price). I just want to mention jazz because the arguments so far all seem to be centred around rock guitar choices.

56840_p.jpg

I had one..GREAT amp.

And, actually, when you use it WITH another amp, does great things. I think a JC-120 paired with a TWIM REVERB does an amazing clean.

Coming from a "Tube snob" such as myself, I'm really impressed with my new Fender Mustang. Blows the Line 6 and most other modeling amps out of the water, IMO. That being said, I believe it's hard to beat a Les Paul or SG through a cranked Bluesbreaker, or Plexi :)

Coming from a "Tube snob" such as myself, I'm really impressed with my new Fender Mustang. Blows the Line 6 and most other modeling amps out of the water, IMO. That being said, I believe it's hard to beat a Les Paul or SG through a cranked Bluesbreaker, or Plexi :)

Recordings will be harder to identify, live its easy. Solid state lacks balls, I've said it a million times and I'll say it again, tube sounds carry better and have a better sound. I always get complimented on my amp because the sound carries well, and it doesn't have to be at deafening levels to be heard in the back of the room

Like Retro said, solid states have their purpose, and I'm sure the tech21 is a great alternative, especially for hauling around for practices. It sucks hauling my 74 pound amp up my stairs, to my car, to my drummer's house, up his stairs and then repeat the process

56840_p.jpg

These are nice amps....I owned one until it was stolen......It is a good amp for clean tones; Jazz.......

Fuzzy makes a good point; On recordings, the line can blur a bit, and SS amps can hold their own ( somewhat ) .......

The game changer in recording is the software coming out these days....It can be very tube/valve sounding,

IF you know how to dial it in....I'm recording strictly this way and via DSP chips...It works, and I'm asked

what tube amps I'm recording with.....

It could be all of what you said, true enough.

It could also be that the amp the original poster asked about is easy to find cheap for a pretty good reason, and that reason is that THAT amp could have 50 tubes in it, if it sounds like THAT amp does, pass.

Current with the times? Sure, many should. I use my tube amps, I prefer them, I don't have to carry them around anymore. AND I use the digital stuff, and I have no problem with SS amps. I own one, bass amp, it's perfect for my uses.

On the other hand, anybody wants to start bickering and Ear Testing people in my studio would be shown the door. The whole point of the studio is to influence what people THINK they hear. I don't care what you use, if the record is good when finished we have done our job.

Nobody has ever returned a record because of the type of amps used, not that I know of.

rct

These are nice amps....I owned one until it was stolen......It is a good amp for clean tones; Jazz.......

Ahh man, I feel for you having that stolen!

I use a VOX AGA 150 (Acoutsic amp with a valve pre amp) for my main amp. I very rarely play distortion and when I do it is more of a growl (LOL) than a full on metal attack! The vox is great and works as an amp for a nice warm electric guitar tone, but I am after probably a solid state amp like the Roland Jazz Chorus. For teaching I use a Peavey JSX head through a Marshall cab and also a Fender Blues Junior. If I am honest the JSX is way too large for what it is used for, but I do love the clean and distortion on recording! Plus my wife INSISTED I have it, because she loves Satch. I wasn't going to say no!! [thumbup]

As usual, there is just life and it's monetary requirements getting in the way!

SG Fan

At the college I teach a few months ago the head of music said I could have some money to buy some amps for the guitar pupils to use. I bought three Fender mustangs and while I can't comment on them cranked up, they are just superb!

Matt

Archived