Gibson Brands Forums

Hendrix reborn?

bluesguitar65

I guess I'm hearing something in his "guitar playing" that others are not. He is playing the cover by his interpretation of the song. Hendrix himself was very improvisational in his playing and cares less on polishing up, and he often makes statements like "keeping in tune was for cowboys". I hear the same raw vibe in this yount guy's playing and actually playing from his soul without holding back, like what guitar players use to do, they way they use to jam. To me, its a breath of fresh air hearing this young guy playing, after hearing so many young players playing super fast arpeggios without any soul in their playing.

Give the kid a break! I'd say it is unfair to say anybody is a "reborn" star, he is doing a cover, raw and unpolished, no bass, no drums, the barest of equipment, standing in his bedroom for all we know...good for him! Rock On Son!!!! [thumbup]

Give the kid a break! I'd say it is unfair to say anybody is a "reborn" star, he is doing a cover, raw and unpolished, no bass, no drums, the barest of equipment, standing in his bedroom for all we know...good for him! Rock On Son!!!! [thumbup]

"reborn" was taken in a positive context as I was praising the young guy's playing.

It sounds like he is forcing himself to be Hendrix. I'm not saying he's bad, I'm just saying he should develop his own style. The singing, the licks, its all Hendrix

I suppose you are right, but I've read and heard the same statement said about Robin Trower and Stevie Ray. In fact, Stevie was once booed at some Jazz festival during his early career as sounding so much like Hendrix. Hendrix was so influential and I guess for the guitar players that were so influence by hendrix, his vibe will always be a legacy in their playing. I think this holds true for many guitar players that have strong influences with their guitar heros, as their style will have similarities. I know Joe Bonamassa was a big fan of Eric Johnson.

There are plenty of musicians that spend part of their careers, even their whole careers emulating another musician/hero, and they can do very well at it. OTOH, there are plenty of musicians spend part of their careers, even their whole careers developing their own style, and sometimes end up with nothing to show for it. And vice versa. The guy likes to play and sing like Hendrix, I see no problem in that and I hope it leads him to success.

There are plenty of musicians that spend part of their careers, even their whole careers emulating another musician/hero, and they can do very well at it. OTOH, there are plenty of musicians spend part of their careers, even their whole careers developing their own style, and sometimes end up with nothing to show for it. And vice versa. The guy likes to play and sing like Hendrix, I see no problem in that and I hope it leads him to success.

eric clapton's solo on "Strange Brew" on Disraeli Gears is Albert King's solo on "Oh Pretty Woman", the stax recording. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kStIpjVH0l8

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

His vocals need a lot of work. The sound was not that bad on his Strat. But he was very loose. He really needs to slow down, and tighten it up. I do hope he sticks with it though, I think Jimi would like players doing his thing. [thumbup]

Archived