Gibson Brands Forums

'New' guitars.

LarryUK

Why do Gibson keep advertising 'New' models. Only for you to see a new colour etc on a Les Paul or SG?

Today's Facebook post said 'Brand spankin new model.

Yet it was an SG in a metallic colour. Not a new model.

Yeah, I saw that. I got a little excited for a second but that one wasn't that much of a letdown. I love the Pelham Blue color and I'll admit that gold is pretty nifty. I'd rather get a 355 in that Pelham blue though.

Why do Gibson keep advertising 'New' models. Only for you to see a new colour etc on a Les Paul or SG?

is it the SG Standard Exclusive

Yes. It's an SG in a different colour. Whoopy doo!

Hold the front page!

Well, that's about as close to a new model as most Gibson fans are willing to accept. Any perceived change more radical than a new combination of old model and old color is usually met with "Gibson has lost their mind! Bring me the head of Henry J.! What a horrible guitar!" and so on. The old Gibson catalogs are littered with attempts to cut new paths. There are always a few radicals that love the new ideas but by and large the "Gibson Costumer" really just wants vintage style Les Pauls, SGs and 335s offered with a previously unavailable color combination or new configuration of 40 and 50 year old pickup designs.

The ES-339/359, CS-336/356 were a pleasant and actual new surprise. Amazing guitars.

Still trying to decide which one to own?

Perfectly satisfied after playing the cheapest plaintop 339 but I do like the genuine hardwood versions better.

Then there's that eye candy . . .

Ca-ching.

Come to think of it.....it must not be that easy to come up with a "new model"...Think about it, other then building one out of titanium or moon rocks, what hasn't been done?

It would be cool to forum project to come up with a model or two that would be available to forum members first. Maybe do a electric and a acoustic model....sounds like a good idea!

The ES-339/359, CS-336/356 were a pleasant and actual new surprise.

Those are rehashes of same-ol models too -- no more new models than the Firebird X is.

Fender comes out with nice-looking new models from time to time... I guess Gibson is stuck in the past.

In the mainstream, Gibson and Fender just ring the changes on a total of maybe 10 or 12 designs: Strat, Tele Jaguar/jazzmaster, Les Paul, SG, 335, Explorer, Flying V, plus various Junior/student models. Outside of the PRS, the Parker Fly's, and some small volume exotics, I find it hard to think of a current instrument by any of the major manufacturers that isn't based on a 50 or more year old design. ( Unless you consider the various japanese "superstrat" configurations to be new designs, rather just adaptations of the basic strat). The guitar market is inherently very conservative, and had become more so in the last 20 -30 years.

In mt opinion because they are greatest guitar company when it comes to marketing and selling the same thing in many different guises! I admire their business savvy [thumbup]

Matt

A " chambered " SG would be a new model.........[flapper][unsure][crying] :unsure: ...

You might be on to something here . . . what if they make an SG as thick as a Les Paul, but keep the SG shape exactly (same scallops and all). Throw an 1/8" thick top plate of maple or korina or whatever on it, out to the edges of the bevels and blend. Or have they done that already, and I just missed it?

msp_blink.gif

I am all over that Strat body with the humbucker next to the bridge and the tele pup in the neck.

I love this thing

91821.jpg

Nothing new about that... It's a re-branded Squire 51 for 3 times the price.

How are any of the Pawn Shop guitars, which I think are very cool, any more radically new than Gibson's new line of Melody Makers?

em_bnr_MelodyMaker2.jpg

Archived