Gibson Brands Forums

So Much Soul It Hurts............................................

Tman5293

Sorry, T-Man. I could never come up with just one. A lot of what I listen to ends up in my collection simply because of the amount of soul some people put into their playing. In this case, maybe "soul" is similar to "passion." There are those that put so much passion into what they're playing. They aren't just playin' it, they're feelin' it. For me that puts the "soul" into it. Jimi Hendrix comes to mind. He was definitely not the most technically agile of guitar players, but if you watched him, you could tell that he "felt" what he was playing. Just like Stevie Ray. So many of Stevie Ray's songs, you could see (if you could see him) that he wasn't playing it, he was feeling it and letting that feeling extend to the end of his fingertips. He simply used his hands and his guitar as a translation medium for what he was feeling.

Didn't mean to muddle the idea of your topic, but there are so many soulful guitar players out there, I could never pick just one.

"This Boy"by The Beatles:the harmonies are just deadly but what really raises the goosebumps on me is when John wails out the high notes in the chorus-you can feel every bit of the angst and emotion that he put into that song. Royal Albert Hall performance of Jimi's "Bleeding Heart"- I still get choked up whenever I hear it.

I can name a few.....Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson--last time I listened I almost started crying. So powerful. And Paul VS Godzilla by Mr. Gilbert. Soulful as can be. Actually, that whole album ( Silence Followed by a Deafening Roar ) is full of soul. And I can't leave out Gary Moore's "Messiah Will Come Again". That track is so brilliant. Its like he was at one with God or something.

To me 'riviera paradise' , 'tin pan alley', or 'little wings' by SRV or Gary Moore 'Messia..' are song that touch me so much as well as 'the forgotten part2' by Satriani or 'for the love of god' by Steve Vai, I remember watching Steve vai FTLOG video When I was starting guitare, that song make me chill ( even if I am not a shred fan at all )

I suggest that if anyone wants to hear something so soulful ot hurts they watch the dedication for the MLK Memorial this Sunday. Aretha will be singing "Take My Hand, Precious Lord", one of King's favorites. Gauranteed to be soulful beyond belief.

Archived