Gibson Brands Forums

Do you play shows?

Silenced Fred

I played live between ages 15 and 45, but the thrill eventually diminishes, along with the ability to stay awake on the road at 4am, while the backaches and hearing loss increase. I did what a lot of people my age end up doing, on the lines of "build home studio, learn to play drums, write and record stuff instead of playing it live" I find that I play less, but probably in a more creative fashion, no hours spent practicing the set, and no need to deliberately tailoring my writing to the style or capabilities of a specific band.

Same path for me brother. Struggling, starving, making art man, it's all bullshite. It's tiresome, it deals too much with the less reliable people in this life, everyone and I mean everyone has their hand in yer pocket, and I've never met so many people past the age of thirty that didn't even or couldn't even own a car and needed a 47 mile ride from me as I did in the thirty odd years I was out playing.

I much prefer the sanctity of my "studio", where I do everything and rely on nobody but me. Of course, that's prolly why my record will be 5 years old by the time it is done, but hey, it's much more fun than the other.

rct

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just did a gig this past Tuesday.

Fred, we were asked to play a gig next Friday on the 16th in Littleton - you should come check us out.

We play classic rock - Zep, Sabbath, Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ-Top, Jet - that sort of stuff

Yes I play guitar every Sunday morning for our churches worship service. I also play acoustic backing a young singer/ guitar player about once a month. There are also the one offs and special occasions that I'm asked to play. Kinda like being the guitar player in the house band for blues events and gospel shows. Gotta huge one coming up mid October.

I'm still trying to persuade my old bandmates to regroup even if it's for one "old time sake show" but everyone's schedule conflicts at the moment. We were together for 12 years and played our last gig back in '94.

We just did a gig this past Tuesday.

Fred, we were asked to play a gig next Friday on the 16th in Littleton - you should come check us out.

We play classic rock - Zep, Sabbath, Tom Petty, Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ-Top, Jet - that sort of stuff

I'll see where Littleton is compared to FoCo.

Always down for some classic Sabbath, so unless I have a practice or something, I'll be sure to do that!

EDIT: littleton is like over an hour and a half each way for me...

I play with 3 different bands at this time. However, all the bands have at least one member from one of the other bands. Also, none of the bands are very prolific. I still only play 1 or 2 times a month between them all. I've been pretty lucky in that I've always played with cool people. I don't think I could play with people I really don't like or get along with.

I'm playing an acoustic gig this Saturday. We'll do mainly covers of island music, some country and acoustic rock songs, plus a few originals.

Although I enjoy playing in the rock bands more, I do like the acoustic gigs too. It's easier to load in/out, and it's a more laid back event. We're kinda just background music. If people pay attention to us that's great, but we aren't so loud that people have trouble talking to each other.

Good advice. However, IMO it's almost impossible to form a band without at least one idiot. Rock'nRoll attracts idiots like moths to a candle. The gene for playing drums and the gene for personality defects appear to be particularly closely related.

It's not Musicians, it's the just the Averages. You can't put a Bowling Team together without a 25% Idiocy Rate.

Anyway, on the subject at hand. You have to be at least 40% Entertainer or face Burn Out. If you're only in it for the Music or the Money then you'll eventually find you can make music and money in far more temperate environments than Bars, Fairs, Parties, and BBQ Joints.

However, if you're a Ham, if you can't stand being in a crowd but love being in front of one, if you harbor the inexplicable desire to Entertain people you normally can't stand being in traffic with, then you'll always play live.

The way I see it, if I can balance my Entertainer with my Musician I should be able to make pretty good music in front of Appreciative, Hostile, and Indifferent Audiences for as long as My Knuckles hold out. smiley-cool09.gif

... You have to be at least 40% Entertainer...if you're a Ham, if you can't stand being in a crowd but love being in front of one, if you harbor the inexplicable desire to Entertain people you normally can't stand being in traffic with, then you'll always play live.

Very Good Advice. And something I don't have...lol!

By far the most fun I ever had playing in front of the public was when I teamed up with a very good, long-time, friend - either just us as a duet or with his band - who happened to be one of those larger than life characters who was always, but always, the life of the party. He was magnetic, funny and charismatic. He was born to be a front-man. Originally he was a (fine) drummer but soon realised that the glory was to be found front-centre-stage. He absolutely loved all the attention. He became an accomplished vocalist, acoustic guitarist and played the harmonica well to boot. This all let me get on with what I enjoyed - playing the electric six without having to be the Star Performer.

P.

A good front person really is a joy to work with. I can front the group, but I'd much rather back up a Good Vocalist and Entertainer. Although I'd be lying if I said I wasn't in it for a little attention myself [biggrin]

Word.

I'm meeting up with a bassist and a singer to jam, and I hope he's a good front man. I've always had lead singer issues, so the responsibility has always fallen on me. Since I'm going to be doing vocals in 3 other projects, this one would be nice to be able to sit back and play guitar, maybe some back up vocals or something. That would be swell [thumbup]

It's not Musicians, it's the just the Averages. You can't put a Bowling Team together without a 25% Idiocy Rate.

Anyway, on the subject at hand. You have to be at least 40% Entertainer or face Burn Out. If you're only in it for the Music or the Money then you'll eventually find you can make music and money in far more temperate environments than Bars, Fairs, Parties, and BBQ Joints.

However, if you're a Ham, if you can't stand being in a crowd but love being in front of one, if you harbor the inexplicable desire to Entertain people you normally can't stand being in traffic with, then you'll always play live.

The way I see it, if I can balance my Entertainer with my Musician I should be able to make pretty good music in front of Appreciative, Hostile, and Indifferent Audiences for as long as My Knuckles hold out. smiley-cool09.gif

That is something that you would think would be more obvious to a whole lot of people. I mean, I need to play like I need to breathe and I would play alone in my house anyway just because I had to (I'm a bass player BTW). But ultimately, I need to put that in front of an audience. Is that some head stroking? Damn right! I can honestly say that the people who like what I do far outweigh the ones who don't(and you know what they say about not taking a joke....).

I was 9 when I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan and as incredible as they were it was the screaming fainting chicks that lit me up. Of course I wasn't quite sure why at the time (having not hit puberty) but it beat the pants off Lawrence Welk. I knew right then it's what i wanted to do.

Playing what makes me happy without compromise and having it bring joy to other people is what it's all about and I'll go ahead and say 99.9999% of anybody that plays feels the same. That holds true whether you're a painter, dancer, actor, writer - name a creative outlet here______. I'm not a tortured artist - I want to have fun and rock the house!!! And it is show biz, make no mistake. A band that exudes energy and conviction physically as well as musically will create a feedback loop with the audience that is magical. Those are the moments I live for. It doesn't always happen, but when it does it's tough to beat.

I've been fortunate enough to maintain a regular gigging schedule this far into my years. I like to think it helps keep me young because when I'm up there I don't think about anything but making the music, and having people reactingand dancing to it is definitely the bomb.

One aside here and this is very important - for those times when the audience is indifferent, or it's a low turnout (we never really get hostile)etc one thing is sure - give it your best shot every time. That's your responsibility as a performer - always knock it out like it's a full house of screaming fans. Sure, there can be some rough nights upon occasion. But always be professional. You took the money, now do the job like you mean it. It will define your integrity and enhance your reputation.

Your mileage may vary. If playing in your room is enough, then rock on. Some people are in circumstances that don't allow for gigs or, as stated above have reached a point where conditions would have to be met. We all reach our own level regarding what it takes. It is NOT always easy and many "civilians" don't understand what it takes behind the scenes to make it happen.

But I always say, that tedious crap like the traveling, hauling/setting up equipment is a given, and just trying to keep the unit together can be quite an undertaking in itself. But that is what I get paid for.

I play for free.

I am not retired, but I have only been averaging one or two performances a year since my last band broke up and my last two gigs have been on drums. I hope that the roll I play will change soon since my current band just added a bass player. Just need to get our songs recorded and I think we'll be ready to play an opening 30 min set. Have been a lot of little set backs (adult responsibilities, mental illness, etc). Here's to hoping for a healthy and productive fall.

I am not retired, but I have only been averaging one or two performances a year since my last band broke up and my last two gigs have been on drums. I hope that the roll I play will change soon since my current band just added a bass player. Just need to get our songs recorded and I think we'll be ready to play an opening 30 min set. Have been a lot of little set backs (adult responsibilities, mental illness, etc). Here's to hoping for a healthy and productive fall.

You found a bassist? Rad!

Good luck man, and be sure to let me know how your show goes, your demos were wicked [thumbup]

I'm kind of "in between bands" right now... the band I've been playing with just stopped working, they don't want to rehearse and then when the show comes one of them screws up and then refuses to accept he screwed up. Also they have started charging less and less and accepting to play in less fancy places... I am not playing with them anymore, I just haven't told them yet... the way I see it it's probably gonna be a year before they get a gig and I actually have the need to tell them to f___ off (I used to get them but don't have the time anymore so they were supposed to do it now).

I've been asked to play on a band that's doing a Fleetwood Mac tribute (3 hour show) and I told them I would play it, they are really professional and I have worked with them separately in various occasions. I have yet to rehearse with them as I've been busy as hell tho.

Here's what it's been like so far:

From 1997 to 2004 it was like

[1] Move my stuff,

[2] Move someone else's stuff because their car was dead/ this was their afternoon for child visitation/ their stuff's at my house anyway;

[3] Spend an unecessary hour waiting to sound check while the drummer laboriously assembles his far-too-complicated kit at the speed of a concussed snail, then move all the gear again becausethe drummer claims he doesn't have enough space;

[4] Find out at soundcheck that one horn and two monitors in the PA are dead, and the resident "sound guy" has no idea why ; spend hour crawling about in nasty rock'n'roll filth behind/below stage to find broken cables;

[5] Fail to notice that lead guitarist has been drinking for four hours before we go on, and is having problems forming sentences and standing unaided;

[6] Single-handedly load everything at 2am because the rockstars in the band need "time to chill" and "enjoy the buzz" after the show, and don't understand "why we have to rush out of here" (invariably they are not the ones who have to drive the van for three hours to get home.)

Then I decided to stop playing for low payment, with idiots that needed to use my drumset, my bass, my bass amp, my mics, my cables, my stands, my car. I was playing in 3 bands at that time (2 as guitarist, 1 as bassist). I told all of them "you either start saving for your own stuff and for someone to carry it around or I'm gone".

1 band collectively said "we can't 'cause that would mean we should get real jobs and we don't want that" and they also said they could borrow instruments (and picks and drumsticks) from someone else but they wanted me to still be on the band. I told them to f____ off and stopped playing with them (do you really want to play with idiots that don't want to get a "real job"? Music CAN BE a real job, if you treat it like a real job!)

The other two bands started saving and one of the bassists bought my bass and bass amp... That's the band I kept playing with longer, recorded an album and toured the country and 2 cities outside the country, it all fell apart when the singer got married (he had impregnated an ugly that attended all of our shows... ) he insisted in marrying her, and then when he got married he stopped showing up for rehearsal... the wife would call us and ask to put him on the phone and he wasn't there (he was with a girl from his job... it all ended really bad).

Now every time a band asks me to play with them I demand almost all of this:

I'd go back to playing live if I was guaranteed that:

[1] My gear would be moved, set up and ready to go when I got to the show

[2] I wouldn't have to move anyone else's gear,

[3] The PA works and sounded good,

[4] The other members of the band would remain sober enough to play, and:

[5] Someone would do all of this in reverse at the end of the show

One thing I tell them is I will take my stuff to the gig and I will set it up and take it back... I don't like other people touching my equipment. [sneaky]

Just curious, we haven't had one of these in a while. Also, please elaborate, if you do, how often, what kinds, etc. If you don't, why not?

2 or 3 times a year as a guest Blues or Rock Harmonica player for friend's bands. My guitar playing unfortunately is not at a gigging level yet :rolleyes:

You found a bassist? Rad!

Good luck man, and be sure to let me know how your show goes, your demos were wicked [thumbup]

Thanks, brother. The guy is the same age and place in life that my drummer and I are so it's working out well. Plus, we've known this cat for years (he played bass in Riviera: our old Rogers Park rehearsal space mates). Never thought I would play in a trio, but here we are. Vocals have tightened up, bass is sounding killer, and we are almost ready to put some songs on tape/GarageBand/ProTools.

Side note - I ordered a B5 for my SG Classic yesterday. Cannot wait.

Thanks, brother. The guy is the same age and place in life that my drummer and I are so it's working out well. Plus, we've known this cat for years (he played bass in Riviera: our old Rogers Park rehearsal space mates). Never thought I would play in a trio, but here we are. Vocals have tightened up, bass is sounding killer, and we are almost ready to put some songs on tape/GarageBand/ProTools.

Side note - I ordered a B5 for my SG Classic yesterday. Cannot wait.

sweet deal! I just jammed with a drummer yesterday, and he has a real raw sound, probably gonna do the duo thing and mainly play house parties, so that should be fun. Jamming with a singer and bassist today to see how that goes. Trios rock man, be sure to let me know how that goes, would love to hear more completed sounds

Bigsbys are the way to go! congrats

Played live a long time then stopped about 5 years ago i was getting sick of it ..concentrating on recording these days and enjoying playing..turning something you love into work can be very off putting at times ..may go back to live but not really fussed just keep working at pro tools sessions for the moment and playing

I'm kind of "in between bands" right now... the band I've been playing with just stopped working, they don't want to rehearse and then when the show comes one of them screws up and then refuses to accept he screwed up. Also they have started charging less and less and accepting to play in less fancy places... I am not playing with them anymore, I just haven't told them yet... the way I see it it's probably gonna be a year before they get a gig and I actually have the need to tell them to f___ off (I used to get them but don't have the time anymore so they were supposed to do it now).

I've been asked to play on a band that's doing a Fleetwood Mac tribute (3 hour show) and I told them I would play it, they are really professional and I have worked with them separately in various occasions. I have yet to rehearse with them as I've been busy as hell tho.

Here's what it's been like so far:

From 1997 to 2004 it was like

Then I decided to stop playing for low payment, with idiots that needed to use my drumset, my bass, my bass amp, my mics, my cables, my stands, my car. I was playing in 3 bands at that time (2 as guitarist, 1 as bassist). I told all of them "you either start saving for your own stuff and for someone to carry it around or I'm gone".

1 band collectively said "we can't 'cause that would mean we should get real jobs and we don't want that" and they also said they could borrow instruments (and picks and drumsticks) from someone else but they wanted me to still be on the band. I told them to f____ off and stopped playing with them (do you really want to play with idiots that don't want to get a "real job"? Music CAN BE a real job, if you treat it like a real job!)

The other two bands started saving and one of the bassists bought my bass and bass amp... That's the band I kept playing with longer, recorded an album and toured the country and 2 cities outside the country, it all fell apart when the singer got married (he had impregnated an ugly that attended all of our shows... ) he insisted in marrying her, and then when he got married he stopped showing up for rehearsal... the wife would call us and ask to put him on the phone and he wasn't there (he was with a girl from his job... it all ended really bad).

Now every time a band asks me to play with them I demand almost all of this:

One thing I tell them is I will take my stuff to the gig and I will set it up and take it back... I don't like other people touching my equipment. [sneaky]

I disagree, i didnt even read any of it! :-({|=

I'd go back to playing live if I was guaranteed that:

[1] My gear would be moved, set up and ready to go when I got to the show

[2] I wouldn't have to move anyone else's gear,

[3] The PA works and sounded good,

[4] The other members of the band would remain sober enough to play, and:

[5] Someone would do all of this in reverse at the end of the show

Reality was more like this

[1] Move my stuff,

[2] Move someone else's stuff because their car was dead/ this was their afternoon for child visitation/ their stuff's at my house anyway;

[3] Spend an unecessary hour waiting to sound check while the drummer laboriously assembles his far-too-complicated kit at the speed of a concussed snail, then move all the gear again becausethe drummer claims he doesn't have enough space;

[4] Find out at soundcheck that one horn and two monitors in the PA are dead, and the resident "sound guy" has no idea why ; spend hour crawling about in nasty rock'n'roll filth behind/below stage to find broken cables;

[5] Fail to notice that lead guitarist has been drinking for four hours before we go on, and is having problems forming sentences and standing unaided;

[6] Single-handedly load everything at 2am because the rockstars in the band need "time to chill" and "enjoy the buzz" after the show, and don't understand "why we have to rush out of here" (invariably they are not the ones who have to drive the van for three hours to get home.)

Too much grief for the sort of paycheck gigs bring nowadays.

I am not down with any of these points and think you need to pick better bandmates.

Have I had my share of less than ideal bandmates? Sure, but when the whole band hits those notes that just ring through you like a revelation from god, it is all worth it. There is noting like being on stage on the verge of exploding like ten tons of TNT. The people are there to see a show and, come hell or high water, you are going to give them one.

Guess it is weighing the good against the bad. When hauling your amp becomes a point of whining, guess it is time to hang it up.

I am not down with any of these points and think you need to pick better bandmates.

Give it a few years and maybe you will be down with some of these points and realize the poor quality of your own bandmate choices.

Have I had my share of less than ideal bandmates? Sure, but when the whole band hits those notes that just ring through you like a revelation from god, it is all worth it. There is noting like being on stage on the verge of exploding like ten tons of TNT. The people are there to see a show and, come hell or high water, you are going to give them one.

Sure, that's pretty much why people play. Most of the people that have picked bad bandmates according to you, have been playing a very long time through a whole lot of bee ess just to get to that one, maybe two songs a night that that happens.

Guess it is weighing the good against the bad. When hauling your amp becomes a point of whining, guess it is time to hang it up.

Could be that. When you tire of the grind, assuming you get that far, consider for yourself whether you are whining or just done with the crap that goes along with being in bands.

Or, you've been doing this for thirty five years and have had incredibly good luck with bands. Could be that too.

rct

rct - I've got two decades gigging out, brother; always playing original material. No cover bands. It was never for money and none of my bands made it far enough to quit the day job, although my last band was working towards that. Maybe that is why it has always been optimistic about the whole thing?

Archived