Gibson Brands Forums

Do you play shows?

Silenced Fred

Just curious, we haven't had one of these in a while. Also, please elaborate, if you do, how often, what kinds, etc. If you don't, why not?

Before I left Illinois, over the summer we were playing about 2 shows a month, mostly originals.

I now have a show playing an acoustic set, depending on how I'm feeling, anywhere from 1-2 hours. Jamming with three different bands this weekend (drummer today, bassist and singer tomorrow and a drummer and keyboard player on saturday) and I'm hoping at least one of those takes off and allows me to get going in the music scene here

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not for about 5 years now...i broke up the band when I moved out to Seattle and now that I am back, everyone is too busy with life to do the band thing again. I miss playing live but I don't want to be in any other band than Knuckle...

So I write and record at home for fun...

I'm glad you're doing music so quickly in your new home state / base, Nat........

My last live show was in 2005.....This was followed by a bad nervous breakdown, hospital stays, then retirement on disability......

I'm quite busy in the music field though, and, I have as much "work" as I can handle....It's wonderful.....I also study a lot................

I do plan on returning to live work in about a year, very carefully.......I'm a fussy musician to deal with though...Quality counts........

Is there a 'Very, Very Rarely' option?

I used to gig when I was at school and University but after I came down to london (and started working!) things just changed. I've have played in public a few times in the last couple of years, but just one-offs.

Recently, however, I've gone, as a spectator, to a few 'open mic' nights (along with flight959) in a local music bar and the last time I went I took along my R0, got up for three (four?) numbers and enjoyed myself. Next time I go (I've been told) I can take along my Music Man 2x12 as well to help things out - I borrowed the Line 6 that was going spare but it was comprehensively outgunned by the other guy's Blues DeLuxe!

I was hoping it was going to be on Tuesday just past but circumstances dictated otherwise. Finding the Time. Big problem.

Perhaps flight and I can work on some duets in time for next week!

LOL!

P.

Not exactly "shows" per se but I gig just about every weekend and we get fairly busy in the summer months. This year we've taken a good hit in the schedule for various reasons (and I'll have to include the economy) but we're on track for around 70.

We do covers only and it's worked for us.

After a 26 year break, I want to gig again. Do you 'Gigging' people find it's best to use a heavier gauge string and pick for gigging?

With the adrenaline rush I found I needed it. I found I played harder live than rehearsal and studio.

Not gigging currently, just as a hobby and mentoring my sons' trying to get them on their feet as a band.

Someday I would love to be in or start a RUSH Tribute band. We have a venue here that supports Tribute Bands. The tickets are free. They make their money from parking and concessions. Not sure what the band's take is, but it is an arena size venue with usually hundreds of fans, a nice stage, good lighting, and great sound system. Would love to play there someday, but I'm almost 50 so I'd better get started soon, LOL.

I wish there was an "About to start, kinda" option. Then again, I might be the only vote. Where I am from, there were not a whole lot of people that were really interested. That and being a college freshman, its difficult to find people who actually play instruments and dont listen to all the garbage that is popular now. Seriously, if I hear another Justin Beiber song in my dorm I'll flip out.

Since I got here about a month ago I have started trying more solo stuff and I like the way its going. Just need to figure out where I can play in this tiny town and hopefully find some people and start a band.

So the short answer is, not yet but I do plan on it soon.

I'd go back to playing live if I was guaranteed that:

[1] My gear would be moved, set up and ready to go when I got to the show

[2] I wouldn't have to move anyone else's gear,

[3] The PA works and sounded good,

[4] The other members of the band would remain sober enough to play, and:

[5] Someone would do all of this in reverse at the end of the show

Reality was more like this

[1] Move my stuff,

[2] Move someone else's stuff because their car was dead/ this was their afternoon for child visitation/ their stuff's at my house anyway;

[3] Spend an unecessary hour waiting to sound check while the drummer laboriously assembles his far-too-complicated kit at the speed of a concussed snail, then move all the gear again becausethe drummer claims he doesn't have enough space;

[4] Find out at soundcheck that one horn and two monitors in the PA are dead, and the resident "sound guy" has no idea why ; spend hour crawling about in nasty rock'n'roll filth behind/below stage to find broken cables;

[5] Fail to notice that lead guitarist has been drinking for four hours before we go on, and is having problems forming sentences and standing unaided;

[6] Single-handedly load everything at 2am because the rockstars in the band need "time to chill" and "enjoy the buzz" after the show, and don't understand "why we have to rush out of here" (invariably they are not the ones who have to drive the van for three hours to get home.)

Too much grief for the sort of paycheck gigs bring nowadays.

[1] Move my stuff,

[2] Move someone else's stuff because their car was dead/ this was their afternoon for child visitation/ their stuff's at my house anyway;

[3] Spend an unecessary hour waiting to sound check while the drummer laboriously assembles his far-too-complicated kit at the speed of a concussed snail, then move all the gear again becausethe drummer claims he doesn't have enough space;

[4] Find out at soundcheck that one horn and two monitors in the PA are dead, and the resident "sound guy" has no idea why ; spend hour crawling about in nasty rock'n'roll filth behind/below stage to find broken cables;

[5] Fail to notice that lead guitarist has been drinking for four hours before we go on, and is having problems forming sentences and standing unaided;

[6] Single-handedly load everything at 2am because the rockstars in the band need "time to chill" and "enjoy the buzz" after the show, and don't understand "why we have to rush out of here" (invariably they are not the ones who have to drive the van for three hours to get home.)

This

[1] Move my stuff,

get an acoustic

write songs

play said songs

????

profit

Seriously, don't deal with idiots. I am playing with three bands right now in hopes that one of them works out. If they don't, I still have my acoustic stuff which I'm getting shows for by myself. I bring my acoustic (I wanna bring my amp because I am a sound guy's worst nightmare, and I'm plugging into that to get a better sound with my acoustic) and myself. That's it. If someone is too drunk to play, I know who to blame.

Just sayin, I don't know what I would do without playing shows, I would probably stop playing guitar altogether

I wish there was an "About to start, kinda" option. Then again, I might be the only vote. Where I am from, there were not a whole lot of people that were really interested. That and being a college freshman, its difficult to find people who actually play instruments and dont listen to all the garbage that is popular now. Seriously, if I hear another Justin Beiber song in my dorm I'll flip out.

Since I got here about a month ago I have started trying more solo stuff and I like the way its going. Just need to figure out where I can play in this tiny town and hopefully find some people and start a band.

So the short answer is, not yet but I do plan on it soon.

+1 to the "What's a Beiber" comment... Can't stand that style and dispise the way young kids get their start like that without even going through the hardtimes. Just because they know someone, or their parents know someone, or are someone, doesn't give teenyboppers the right to make it to the bigtime without even drawing a sweat.

That's why I got my teenager's, at the time, started into 70's classic rock. Even though they're not the most popular with their generation, they constantly let me know their appreciation for the fact that I lead them in this direction.

get an acoustic

write songs

play said songs

????

profit

Seriously, don't deal with idiots. I am playing with three bands right now in hopes that one of them works out. If they don't, I still have my acoustic stuff which I'm getting shows for by myself. I bring my acoustic (I wanna bring my amp because I am a sound guy's worst nightmare, and I'm plugging into that to get a better sound with my acoustic) and myself. That's it. If someone is too drunk to play, I know who to blame.

Just sayin, I don't know what I would do without playing shows, I would probably stop playing guitar altogether

Good advice. However, IMO it's almost impossible to form a band without at least one idiot. Rock'nRoll attracts idiots like moths to a candle. The gene for playing drums and the gene for personality defects appear to be particularly closely related.

I played live between ages 15 and 45, but the thrill eventually diminishes, along with the ability to stay awake on the road at 4am, while the backaches and hearing loss increase. I did what a lot of people my age end up doing, on the lines of "build home studio, learn to play drums, write and record stuff instead of playing it live" I find that I play less, but probably in a more creative fashion, no hours spent practicing the set, and no need to deliberately tailoring my writing to the style or capabilities of a specific band.

Archived