Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: New Fender Strat

bluesguitar65

Well, the UPS just delivered this baby today, American Special Strat in candy apple red. I got it for $700 shipped, new with gigbag. Its a three piece body, I thought the Specials were made of four piece. I've seen many sunburst with four piece bodies. My 2007 Highway One three tone burst is a three piece, I guess Fender is making the lower end USA made guitars with more than three pieces now. I also have a American special tele, white color.

pa040155.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2011-10-04

pa040156.jpg

pa040157.jpg

pa040158.jpg

pa040159.jpg

pa040161x.jpg

pa040165.jpg

pa040170.jpg

pa040171k.jpg

Hey those last two pictures are pretty cool. You're gettin all artistic on us.

I dig that big fat headstock. Hope you enjoy it

LOL! Yea, I was in the artistic mode. Yes, I'm really enjoying my new strat. I think every Gibson owner should have at least a strat or tele in their arsenal.

I agree. I'm sure you already know how much I love the tele though.

Btw how's that fuzz face treatin you now that you've had a little time with it?

The JB fuzzface is sweat, but I have been playing the Lovepedal eternity burst at the moment. That eternity burst has that very warm, woody tone to it that I have not heard on any drive pedal before. It just makes you want to play. I will soon post a demo on both, perhaps a shootout.

p9210156.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2011-09-26

Well, the UPS just delivered this baby today, American Special Strat in candy apple red. I got it for $700 shipped, new with gigbag. Its a three piece body, I thought the Specials were made of four piece. I've seen many sunburst with four piece bodies. My 2007 Highway One three tone burst is a three piece, I guess Fender is making the lower end USA made guitars with more than three pieces now. I also have a American special tele, white color.

NICE. CAR is one of my favorite Fedner colors, I hope you enjoy that thing a long time to come.

So ok, I don't know when or how, but somewhere along the way, the number of pieces of wood a guitar body is made of became...something. I don't know what, it sounds very John Ou-ish, from the old days of HCGF, so I'll get cranky about it here and now and be done with it for this year probably.

#1. More pieces of guitar body = better. It's the way it is. Any booteek guy making them out of one piece has to take certain steps to ensure the wood is as dried to perfection as possible. One piece of wood can curl even a tiny bit, and that is very bad for finish. For production line guitars, you definitely don't want to rely on single pieces. If you've ever looked at old Fedners you'll find lots of single pieces, and everyone of course immediately gets all over how great all them old guitars were. Some were. Some weren't. Making blanks out of pieces is and was a way to over come the curling that a single piece, especially strat shaped could do.

#2. That guy looks at his sheet in the morning to see what he is making, that is, what are we tooled up for today. He has a number of things to get done in a day that is expected. He goes over to the blanks pallet and gets some strats. He doesn't care how many pieces they are. He doesn't stop and count pieces to match whatever "series" of guitar he is making. The pallet has the blanks the company wants to use today, they've been glued up and set, he'll make a guitar out of them, whether they are shaped or not.

In the later 70's they were using single pieces of some garbage alder they found prolly in a dump. Those guitars are famous today for losing their platic-y top coat, usually the store guy will tell you that the last joker that used it played with no shirt on, and the sweat got under the finish, blah blah blahditty blah. Right. So it's vintage, man, and worth 1500 for a 79 fixer upper. It isn't.

Them guitars got sealed in whatever early polyester finishes they were trying out, and then they curled just a tad and popped the top coat off, which then allowed ordinary humidity under the finish, which always pushes the paint off the wood. Always.

So folks, enjoy your guitars. Don't obsess over the number of pieces. And don't assign some weird internet "quality" or "tier" or "low-end vs top end" thingy to the number of pieces. If the Customme Shoppe ever makes you one, you'll get a great education in what makes a great guitar, and for the most part, the number of pieces has nothing to do with it.

rct

I agree...everybody who can, should treat themselves to at least one Tele and one Strat....

Strats are not a treat. They are a tone liability.

Even though I hate Strats, I really dig the seventies style shark fin headstock on that.

Strats are not a treat. They are a tone liability.

I actually agree with this. I've had strat issues since I started playing. My current strat has been mine for 9 years now, and that's twice as long as I've ever owned a strat.

But sometimes, that very tone liability is exactly the treat yer record needs!

rct

LOL! Yea, I was in the artistic mode. Yes, I'm really enjoying my new strat. I think every Gibson owner should have at least a strat or tele in their arsenal.

Lots of Strats and Teles keep my Gibbys happy....( No need to say how many :-#:-k[flapper] )......

Archived