Gibson Brands Forums

famous people you have met?

S t e v e

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to work at an airport, so I have met more celebs than I can remember. Guys off local sports teams (Orioles, old Colts and Ravens) I met all the time and some actually got to know.

Off the top of my head: Cal Ripken, Johnny Unitas, Art Donovan, Sheryl Crow, Mohamed Ali,

Bruce Hornsby, Bob Seger, Tony Bennet....I know there are others I just can't think of them all #-o

A lot of politicians too +:-@

BTW, the only one I ever asked for an autograph was Sheryl Crow and I asked her to make it out to Carol, the singer in my band at the time.

I've chatted with:

Jeff Beck

Nick Mason (drummer Pink Floyd)

George Martin (Beatles producer)

Don Felder (Eagles guitarist)

Queen Mother (British Royal family)

John Cleese

Jeremy Clarkson

Alan Partridge (aka Steve Coogan)

Ron Arad

Jay Kay

Kim Cattrall

Wonder Woman

Michael Palin

Met Pete Seeger in 1972. Very laid back as might be expected.

Set his key light for a solo performance. Nice guy.

Also, met Clint Eastwood at a golf tournament he played at in 1968.

He really is a tall guy. Even without the boots.

I was a teen then and caddying at the tourney.

Got his autograph and lost it. Damn.

That may have paid for a new LP.

I've met Willie Dixon,Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives,Timothy Webber- Canadian actor who starred in the North of 60 series and in One Magic Christmas with Mary Stienbergen-He's a very good friend of mine.I also not only met but knew the late Brian "Loud" McLeoud who was a member of Chilliwack and the founding member of the Headpins.

Edit:Also met and became very good friends with the late great Hamish Imlach who was a contemporary of Bert Jansch and Donovan and toured extensively with them.

I always find annoying, "the ones that got away"... Like you carry on clueless down the street, and someone says about the bloke who's taxi you've just taken over, "that was Eric Clapton, that was..." [cursing]

Mind you, I'm no "approacher" either. So I don't know what I'd say, even if I did ever recognize anyone?

I used to work in film & television so I have met a lot of people. The good ones were Bill Hanna & Joe Barbera of Hanna Barbera Cartoons (Too much fun). Along with DickVan Dyke (Great Person) , Tom Sito the head animator for Roger Rabbit (A fun nutcase), Morgan Fairchild (Beautiful), Tippi Hedren (The Birds), Raymond Burr,& others. Most all were nice except two that I can think of. Chuck Jones (A jerk) and Susan Pleshette (a foul mouth self centered Bit""ch.

A bunch...

Some very nice, some sorta nice, some just folks and some not so nice.

Most memorable? I dunno... In ways Mother Maybelle Carter. In others, how tired an elderly Jack Benny was, and yet he got on stage and put out major energy.

von Braun was pretty special, too... and his assistant director at NASA Bob Seamans.

m

A bunch...

Some very nice, some sorta nice, some just folks and some not so nice.

Most memorable? I dunno... In ways Mother Maybelle Carter. In others, how tired an elderly Jack Benny was, and yet he got on stage and put out major energy.

von Braun was pretty special, too... and his assistant director at NASA Bob Seamans.

m

We've all met "special" people....but you, Milo...come up with Mother Maybelle and von Braun! Dang!

I was trying to think of some, other than the country stars here in Nashville. Some that come to mind are Robert Plant, Paula Dean, Jim Bakker, Anna Nichole Smith, Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, Andy Griffith, Tommy Lasorda, and Tommy Shaw.

Rob...

Well... Both were work related. I don't count the politicians, either, at least not most of the time.

Mother Maybelle I mention because she was such a gracious lady and really helped a somewhat concerned very young reporter with his Johnny Cash interview. I didn't even mention him. I'd been told by everybody "be careful with Johnny." I met her back stage and was oogling her old Gibson archtop... got to play it, or rather attempt to play Wildwood Flower with her super-heavy strings. So when she introduced me to Johnny, it was as a fellow musician who knew Carter Family music and who worked for the paper. A wonderful lady, may she be pickin' wherever she might be.

von Braun was work, but I'd gone my last two years of high school with Seamans' son - so that gave an "in" for a bit more personal interview that was pretty relaxed.

Yeah, some tales to tell, but others have many that are certainly as interesting. Some of your own, for example...

m

Rob...

Well... Both were work related. I don't count the politicians, either, at least not most of the time.

Mother Maybelle I mention because she was such a gracious lady and really helped a somewhat concerned very young reporter with his Johnny Cash interview. I didn't even mention him. I'd been told by everybody "be careful with Johnny." I met her back stage and was oogling her old Gibson archtop... got to play it, or rather attempt to play Wildwood Flower with her super-heavy strings. So when she introduced me to Johnny, it was as a fellow musician who knew Carter Family music and who worked for the paper. A wonderful lady, may she be pickin' wherever she might be.

von Braun was work, but I'd gone my last two years of high school with Seamans' son - so that gave an "in" for a bit more personal interview that was pretty relaxed.

Yeah, some tales to tell, but others have many that are certainly as interesting. Some of your own, for example...

m

I knew both were work related, and you had told me/us (?) before about Mother Maybelle...but let's face it.... we all think we're lucky to have met some current "stars"...but you met a legend..... and I knew you got to actually talk to her one-on-one.... and I kind of recall that you got to play her old archtop Gibson.... man.... now THAT'S important!

<chortle>

Then there was the time I helped teach the then Governor Bill Clinton how to break pine boards with a martial arts hand strike and another time with a kick... The big guy did well, too.

<grin>

m

<chortle>

Then there was the time I helped teach the then Governor Bill Clinton how to break pine boards with a martial arts hand strike and another time with a kick... The big guy did well, too.

<grin>

m

HAHAHAHA....not EXACTLY on the same level as Mother Maybelle!!!

Y'know... I'll bet he'd agree too.

But hey, we're not talking politics or politicians at that level. Just people. His politics ain't exactly mine, but I gained a lotta personal respect on that one...

m

Y'know... I'll bet he'd agree too.

But hey, we're not talking politics or politicians at that level. Just people. His politics ain't exactly mine, but I gained a lotta personal respect on that one...

m

I wasn't commenting on his politics..... just that I put Mother Maybelle in a class no politician could ever achieve, (except for the possible exception of GW, TJ or AL).

Rob...

Your comment got me thinking...

Politicians and pro musicians sometimes are a lot alike with a "public persona" that seldom reflects who they really are. I have a hunch that with Mother Maybelle, what you saw anywhere any time was her.

m

About the only cool thing about going to high school and college in Lincoln, Nebraska is meeting future NFL stars. Here are a few that I have brushed elbows with:

Eric Crouch (2001 Heisman trophy winning QB)

Ahman Green (Green Bay Packers RB)

Kyle Vanden Bosch (Detroit Lions DE)

Grant Wistrom (St. Louis Rams DE)

Mike Rozier (1983 Heisman trophy winning RB-Huston Oilers/Atlanta Falcons RB)

Tom Osborne (three time national champ-hall of fame coach)

and drum roll.................Ndamukong Suh (2009 #2 overall draft pick-Detroit Lions DT)

Rob...

Your comment got me thinking...

Politicians and pro musicians sometimes are a lot alike with a "public persona" that seldom reflects who they really are. I have a hunch that with Mother Maybelle, what you saw anywhere any time was her.

m

Milo, I know what you mean....I'm sure Ray Charles was a scoundrel, and as horny as a three-peckered billy-goat...but he was a genius when he sat down at the piano. I would have loved to see him live, let alone actually "meet" him!

Archived